Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the 9 original Studebaker Avanti R3 cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Endl98, I sent you a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Endl98 View Post
      Just a few pics[ATTACH=CONFIG]64725[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64726[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64727[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64728[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64729[/ATTACH]
      There may possibly be some 'mild' interest if this particular Avanti indeed does come up for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by rgallatin View Post
        The original R3s are a rare treasure, but I would also welcome any R3 clone to the registry because I consider those cars a tribute to the others and to Studebaker. I already have four R3s registered on the 63 Studebaker Registry (and even one R4 registered on the 64 registry). All were registered some years ago, but since the R3-R4 Registry is new I leave re-registering up to the current owners. Below are the currently registered R3-R4 cars. None of them are the numbers of the original nine, but I will register them if the owners submit them. Register any R3 here: http://www.theavanti.net/registryr3.html

R1025 registered by Ronald Crall in 2003
        R1089 registered by Gary Miller in 2001
        R1683 registered by Douglas Crall in 2001
        R2383 registered by Alain Bauwens in 2004
        R5088 registered by Gregory S. Dotson in 2006 (R4)
        Doug's Avanti was purchased firewall back and a frame/R2 engine/T10 trans/front end fiberglass installed. The R3 is a complete and accurate "B" engine that replaced the R2.

My Avanti was originally a factory owned car used by Paxton for development of the R3's. It was the Hot Rod Magazine R3 road test car and given to other Magazines for their R3 road tests and reviews. Andy Granatelli told me it was his "driver". It was an unregistered car with California MFG license plates. When sold to Paxton for $500 by Studebaker many months after South Bend ceased production it was registered to Vince Granatelli, resold to Bill Alderman, then by me in 1969. Other than a color change it remains in very much the same condition as when I purchased it. It has always been garaged and never seen salt. Chassis and Hog Troughs are in excellent condition.

Comment

The history of this car is interesting. The original owner after a number of years of "frustration" getting the car to run, and finding a competent, mechanic, sold the car to Carl Lange a PE by trade, but involved with Studebakers for many years with his brother John. After the tragic accident (coupe express he was restoring, fell on him) that took Carl's life, the car passed to his son Jeff Lange, also a PE on Long Island. Jeff mentioned many times of his desire to restore the car, but business and family seemed to continually get in the way.
          Originally posted by Endl98 View Post
          Just a few pics[ATTACH=CONFIG]64725[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64726[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64727[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64728[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64729[/ATTACH]

Comment

Mr. Ah... no name, you say the Lange's were PE's, could you please share what that uncommon code is?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I believe he is referring to his profession PE= Professional Engineer"

Comment

Yes that is correct, sorry for the confusion:-(
                Originally posted by Peddler View Post
                I believe he is referring to his profession PE= Professional Engineer"

Comment

Professional Engineer; ie, one that is licensed by the state.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                  X