"The" 51 Commander Business Coupe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The" 51 Commander Business Coupe?

I just got my October TW this weekend, and noticed among the award winners (on page 28) a 51 Commander Business Coupe. Presumably, with this kind of point score, it can't be a V8 transplant into a Champion, so is "the one"? Did anyone check it out closely? (Sorry if this has been already discussed, but I had to do a double-take when I saw it).

Las Vegas, NV
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

What class was it judged in?

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

What class was it judged in?

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I think that must be the one that Gord hauled to South Bend for his buddy in Alberta. It was at the Spokane meet also. A BEAUTIFUL car. I don't believe it was originally equipped with the V8, but you'd never know.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I think that must be the one that Gord hauled to South Bend for his buddy in Alberta. It was at the Spokane meet also. A BEAUTIFUL car. I don't believe it was originally equipped with the V8, but you'd never know.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

It IS a clone for sure. Originally started out as a Champion, but still and excellent restoration.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

It IS a clone for sure. Originally started out as a Champion, but still and excellent restoration.

Craig

Comment

I understand that it very well may be an excellent restoration, but if cloned from a Champion and judged in division 2, then how can it not get points off for being mis-represented as a Commander? It is, BTW from Alberta. Wrong engine, wrong hood script, etc. ought to be less than 385 points and a 1st place...

Anyway, I was less concerned about the points/judging, and more interested in whether it was "the" one!

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

I understand that it very well may be an excellent restoration, but if cloned from a Champion and judged in division 2, then how can it not get points off for being mis-represented as a Commander? It is, BTW from Alberta. Wrong engine, wrong hood script, etc. ought to be less than 385 points and a 1st place...

Anyway, I was less concerned about the points/judging, and more interested in whether it was "the" one!

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Yes, that would the McIndoe's car. It is a clone, but it is a clone of a KNOWN real Studebaker. Jim was unsure as whether to enter the car as stock or Divison 8, and I believe he was told by the chief judge to enter it in the stock category.

I think the only non-Commander part on the car is the body tag.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Yes, that would the McIndoe's car. It is a clone, but it is a clone of a KNOWN real Studebaker. Jim was unsure as whether to enter the car as stock or Divison 8, and I believe he was told by the chief judge to enter it in the stock category.

I think the only non-Commander part on the car is the body tag.

Comment

Working...
                      X