Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need bottom half of tailgate for '58 wagon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Before SI acquired SASCO, I bugged Dave Spilski to see if he couldn't drum up a few trim items (mouldings) that were supposedly NLA. He did find what I wanted. Having seen that stuff in the engineering bldg AND when it was across the street - there HAD to be stuff that was just lost in the mess.

Leave a comment:

• fstst56
    replied
    Thank you so much, studeclunker !...I'll be patient, then.
    I think that would surely fit my '58.
    I so appreciate your help.

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    Do let me check into shipping with Greyhound. We don't actually have a station anymore in Redding. All there remains is a ticket window. I will ask the counterman 'what and how' in this respect.

As to price, I've no idea. Yeah, that does sound lame, but there you have it. Can't even offer you pictures right now as the camera is down. Had some of this old wagon, as there was a thread on it... Anyway, the tailgate is a bit rusty but without any obvious cancer. I'm kinda puzzled on how to remove it as there's a bar sticking out in the bottom-centre of it that refuses to cooperate. Will have to figure out where it goes and how to remove it. I'm no pro, and am not in 'business' per se. You'll have to exercise a bit of patience with me. Send me a PM, if you like.

EDIT:
    I found the thread! Being that I'm on dialup (which hates pictures and video) I'm unable to verify this still works. That said, here's a link to pictures of my wagon:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10610...12079548055217

They were taken by the people who liberated it from the field it was quietly returning into the earth in. Sorry, but due to the limitations of dial-up I'm unable to check what's what in the album.

Click image for larger version

Name:	57Wagon tailgate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1691359 Hah! I actually got it to work! Only took an hour and six tries, but that's dial-up, ya know? There ya are! Just click on the thumbnail and it will enlarge to full size.
    Last edited by studeclunker; 07-16-2014, 12:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fstst56
    replied
    Thanks, studeclunker and StudeDave57...How much would you want...I live in south central Illinois...I've been told they can be shipped Greyhound bus...Would you be willing to do that...I'm thinking the one form the '57 Provincial would be the closest match.

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
    I have a relatively complete bottom tailgate on a '57 Provincial. It's rather careworn, but could go cheap as I have no use for it.
    Hey, wait a minute...
    Just playin' Ron-

Besides the NOS one-
    I now know that I have two others.
    They look to be from a '54 or '55.
    I'd let the one on my Parkview go, but it's full of bondo.
    Your call.

StudeDave '57

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    I have a relatively complete bottom tailgate on a '57 Provincial. It's rather careworn, but could go cheap as I have no use for it. Something to think about if nothing else presents itself.

Leave a comment:

• 57pack
    replied
    Great stuff this forum

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    Originally posted by fstst56 View Post
    I recently purchased a 1958 Provincial wagon...They bottom half of the tailgate is completely missing...
    Does anyone have one or know of someone who might...I live in south central Illinois...Thanks !
    I forgot to mention earlier---

I may have a 'spare' lower tail gate- but it's not NOS, and it might not be from a '57 or '58.
    As such some cutting might be required to make it right for your car.
    I am in Washington State.

Please allow me to check later today.

StudeDave '57

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
    Well possibly cuz Dennis some times had no idea what was or wasn't available.as some of the parts were in such a dis-ordered environment and some stuff buried under other stuff, is how that may have been the case ?
    Dennis was at N&A? I did not know that.
    But yes, I knew about the unorganized state the parts were in during the 'SASCO years'.
    I always wondered why when they moved it all that first time they didn't do an inventory.
    Even after the fact- I would'a hired a bunch of ND kids during the Summer to do it or something.
    It seems like a win win for everybody if we'd known back then what all was there.

So it was good that when Ed and the crew at SI moved it that second time they did inventory it.
    We've seen quite a few 'NLA' parts re-appear.
    Good stuff!!!

StudeDave '57

Leave a comment:

• 63t-cab
    replied
    Well possibly cuz Dennis some times had no idea what was or wasn't available.as some of the parts were in such a dis-ordered environment and some stuff buried under other stuff,is how that may have been the case ?
    Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
    Don't be too sure 'bout that last line.

Waaayy back before SI got SASCO's stuff there was N&A.
    When I got my NOS tailgate from N&A they told me it was the 'last one'...
    So how could there be any left when Karl got his years later...?

StudeDave '57

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    Originally posted by 57pack View Post
    Grab one from SI while they still have one, like the man said "they ain't making em anymore"
    Don't be too sure 'bout that last line.

Waaayy back before SI got SASCO's stuff there was N&A.
    When I got my NOS tailgate from N&A they told me it was the 'last one'...
    So how could there be any left when Karl got his years later...?

StudeDave '57

Leave a comment:

• Carl Purdy
    replied
    The 57 & 58 has to have the license Plate opening out side and inside to mount the bracket.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
    57 & 58 are the same unless you want to do some laying out and cutting.
    Do tell, you THINK there is some difference between '54 and '59 except drilling or filling Moulding/Nameplate holes?

The NOS ones are blank, some with Moulding hole templates, but of course they are not cheap. The Last New ones in the world for sale?

Leave a comment:

• Carl Purdy
    replied
    57 & 58 are the same unless you want to do some laying out and cutting.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    They are the same from 54 to 59, so you can widen your search parameters.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X