engine brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine brackets

Hi I have been wanting to put a new engine in my 1952 studebaker champion. But i was wondering if theirs some engines that have the same brackets. I was wanting to put a chevy 350

With your question I get the idea that you haven't done a major engine swap before. There is much more to it than finding mounts. You also have driveshaft, exhaust, fuel, throttle, radiator, etc., etc. issues to be solved.
    As far as your query, Studebaker used the GM/Chevy V8 in 1965 and 1966 cars. Those 1965 and 1966 cars used a frame that was basically the same as your 1952's frame. Those engine mounts would be a good starting point.
    To me, a better way to go would be to use a GM subframe from a V8 car, like a Camaro or Firebird, in your car. This is also not easy, but would give you built in engine mounts to fit, more modern steering, disc brakes, etc.
    The easiest swap for you would be to put a Studebaker OHV V8 from 1951 through 1964 in your car.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

With your question I get the idea that you haven't done a major engine swap before. There is much more to it than finding mounts. You also have driveshaft, exhaust, fuel, throttle, radiator, etc., etc. issues to be solved.
      As far as your query, Studebaker used the GM/Chevy V8 in 1965 and 1966 cars. Those 1965 and 1966 cars used a frame that was basically the same as your 1952's frame. Those engine mounts would be a good starting point.
      To me, a better way to go would be to use a GM subframe from a V8 car, like a Camaro or Firebird, in your car. This is also not easy, but would give you built in engine mounts to fit, more modern steering, disc brakes, etc.
      The easiest swap for you would be to put a Studebaker OHV V8 from 1951 through 1964 in your car.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Alex,
        Both a Studebaker V8 and a Chevrolet V8 will fit in the engine compartment... (as well as a BBC, a Hemi, an LS7, and a Fiat 4 cyl).
        The two questions you should be asking are:
        (1) Which is easier, a Chevy V8 swap, or a Stude V8 swap?
        (2) Which is cheaper, A Chevy V8 swap, or a Stude V8 swap?
        Since you asked on a Studebaker website, be prepared to recieve Studebaker answers (for good reason)...

Since Studebaker built almost all of their vehicles with both V8 and 6 cylinder engines (after the early fifties), installing a complete Stude engine would actually be easier, since (a) all the engineering has been done, and (b) a donor setup could just be slid in, hooked up, and run.

If you are interested only in performance and cost involved, there are a lot of people well versed in Chevy V8 engine swaps, and they can do that swap quickly, easily, and without Studeremorse.

But... There is a cool factor to having a Stude engine in a Stude.
        And there is a segment that has an attitude about 'belly button small block Chevies' stuck in a Stude.

Your car, your choice. But asking here will bring you an answer with Stude flavor. If you went to Hot Rod Cafe, or the H.A.M.B. you might get a different answer.

As far as brackets go... Buy a Hurst Chevy V8 engine bracket kit and fab up the frame mounts and trans mount, shorten/lengthen the driveshaft, figure out the shift and throttle linkage, re-do the exhaust, hook up the water and wire stuff, and go have fun with your Stude...

BTW, you'll have to do all that stuff with a Stude engine, just without the Hurst bracket....

Hope the info helps.
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by alex_510042

Hi I have been wanting to put a new engine in my 1952 studebaker champion. But i was wondering if theirs some engines that have the same brackets. I was wanting to put a chevy 350
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Alex,
          Both a Studebaker V8 and a Chevrolet V8 will fit in the engine compartment... (as well as a BBC, a Hemi, an LS7, and a Fiat 4 cyl).
          The two questions you should be asking are:
          (1) Which is easier, a Chevy V8 swap, or a Stude V8 swap?
          (2) Which is cheaper, A Chevy V8 swap, or a Stude V8 swap?
          Since you asked on a Studebaker website, be prepared to recieve Studebaker answers (for good reason)...

Since Studebaker built almost all of their vehicles with both V8 and 6 cylinder engines (after the early fifties), installing a complete Stude engine would actually be easier, since (a) all the engineering has been done, and (b) a donor setup could just be slid in, hooked up, and run.

If you are interested only in performance and cost involved, there are a lot of people well versed in Chevy V8 engine swaps, and they can do that swap quickly, easily, and without Studeremorse.

But... There is a cool factor to having a Stude engine in a Stude.
          And there is a segment that has an attitude about 'belly button small block Chevies' stuck in a Stude.

Your car, your choice. But asking here will bring you an answer with Stude flavor. If you went to Hot Rod Cafe, or the H.A.M.B. you might get a different answer.

As far as brackets go... Buy a Hurst Chevy V8 engine bracket kit and fab up the frame mounts and trans mount, shorten/lengthen the driveshaft, figure out the shift and throttle linkage, re-do the exhaust, hook up the water and wire stuff, and go have fun with your Stude...

BTW, you'll have to do all that stuff with a Stude engine, just without the Hurst bracket....

Hope the info helps.
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by alex_510042

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
          X