No announcement yet.

1964 Daytona Convertible Registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BP, is the production information that you provided found in a past copy of Turning Wheels? I am curious as to how many silver convertibles were manufactured.
    As for additional convertibles for the roster, I know that Klif Helgeson purchased a restored R1 convertible back in 2012. His forum name is Klifton1.

Found the following from a previous post from Klif:
    "Engine number is JTJ320. Vin number is C501773
    It was born Bermuda Brown, W/4speed, Engine #VCC419, Disc brakes +. It also has rear sway bar, TT, and Studebaker traction bars. The car looks like a frame off. Basecoat Clear coat. Looks to have placed in Texas, Class 6, 399 points 1998"
    Last edited by Milaca; 07-20-2014, 10:26 PM.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Stu,

I know of two unlisted 64 convertibles in the state of Washington both belonging to very long tem owners, however one of the owners may not want his personal information published. The second car is probably the best original R Series car in existence. Please let me know if you are interested in their personal information and I will send it by PM.-Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
        Stu,

I know of two unlisted 64 convertibles in the state of Washington both belonging to very long tem owners, however one of the owners may not want his personal information published. The second car is probably the best original R Series car in existence. Please let me know if you are interested in their personal information and I will send it by PM.-Bill
        By all means, please do follow up. When the Registry is complete it will not contain anything personal but the owner's name and hometown. I can keep even this confidential if required. But it would be nice if we know where every car is.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
          BP, is the production information that you provided found in a past copy of Turning Wheels? I am curious as to how many silver convertibles were manufactured.
          As for additional convertibles for the roster, I know that Klif Helgeson purchased a restored R1 convertible back in 2012. His forum name is Klifton1.

Found the following from a previous post from Klif:
          "Engine number is JTJ320. Vin number is C501773
          It was born Bermuda Brown, W/4speed, Engine #VCC419, Disc brakes +. It also has rear sway bar, TT, and Studebaker traction bars. The car looks like a frame off. Basecoat Clear coat. Looks to have placed in Texas, Class 6, 399 points 1998"
          Brent, would you follow up further for more info, i.e. top color, interior color, assembly date, hometown of owner, any other features. Thanks.

Stu Chapman
          Last edited by Stu Chapman; 07-21-2014, 08:31 PM. Reason: word missing

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Bill and Stu: Save your checking.

The only black, South-Bend built convertible with blue, individually-adjustable front seats was 64V17855. Engine #PM312; Body #460.

You're right, Bill; built on 11/27/1963. However, it is coded to have overdrive, not straight three-speed. BP
            So just to be certain, does this serial number etc belong to the Ed Davies convertible. If so what is the top color?

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
              So just to be certain, does this serial number etc belong to the Ed Davies convertible. If so what is the top color?
              64V17855 was built with a white top and, according to Bill Pressler, it still has one, Stu. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

tHE car REFERED to in thread #61 is my old 64 which I sold to a man in Minnisota about 12 years ago and it sold again last year.I bought it from Barry Leppan and it indead was shown at anInt Meet in Austin Texas Ray M

Comment

Brent, all that information for every South-Bend built 1964 convertible is in the July 1986 Turning Wheels.

Once you understand the codes used, which are explained in the front matter, it doesn't take too long to scan the data for what you want to know.(With all the people giving away sets of Turning Wheels, I would think those July 1986 copies would be in demand.) BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob, I'll keep an eye out for that issue of Turning Wheels.
                    As for more information about Klif's car, I can only say that I believe it resides in St. Cloud, Minnesota. Perhaps Klif will come upon this thread or former owner Ray Martin can give more specifics of the car.
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Thanks Bob, I'll keep an eye out for that issue of Turning Wheels.
                      You might check with Cornerstone Registration, Brent. I haven't, but for all I know, they have overprint copies remaining to sell. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        64V17855 was built with a white top and, according to Bill Pressler, it still has one, Stu. BP
                        Great, but who owns it now?

Stu Chapman

Comment

Great, but who owns it now?

Stu Chapman
                          Stu, it is owned by Ed Davies of Akron, OH, a veritable "Mr. Studebaker" if there ever was one! He has owned dozens of Studebakers over the years.

I have a photo taken on July 5 of this year, of the car...I'm low-tech as to posting it here but I could email it to you if you desire, Stu. If so, PM me your email address.

Thanks!
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          (formerly Greenville, PA)
                          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

Here it is, Bill; from the photo you sent me yesterday:

'Good to see that such a rare combination survives. (Take good care of it, Ed.) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I agree. David Daoust has already advised this is his car but there's been no comment from him about owning Russ Haggen's car so I'm going to drop any reference to that.

Stu Chapman
                              I have 64V18827. It is a 1964 Daytona convertible in Laguna Blue with a white top and blue interior. I bought it from Russ Haggen of Bellingham, WA in June of 2013. My car is on the cover of the December 2013 issue of Turning Wheels as well as a story on page 13. My car does not have the ORIGINAL 289 engine that came with the car but it does have a Studebaker 289 engine with an engine number of P93233 - a late 1962 engine according to information I received from George Krem. It was originally an automatic transmission but was converted to a 4-speed somewhere along the line. StudeRich probably knows more of the details of my car than I do.

As for for any 64 Daytonas being for sale......anything is for sale at a price isnt it? My Daytona included.
                              David Daoust
                              Stratham, NH
                              '64 Daytona convertible

Comment

Originally posted by David Daoust View Post
                                I have 64V18827. It is a 1964 Daytona convertible in Laguna Blue with a white top and blue interior. I bought it from Russ Haggen of Bellingham, WA in June of 2013. My car is on the cover of the December 2013 issue of Turning Wheels as well as a story on page 13. My car does not have the ORIGINAL 289 engine that came with the car but it does have a Studebaker 289 engine with an engine number of P93233 - a late 1962 engine according to information I received from George Krem. It was originally an automatic transmission but was converted to a 4-speed somewhere along the line. StudeRich probably knows more of the details of my car than I do.

As for for any 64 Daytonas being for sale......anything is for sale at a price isnt it? My Daytona included.
                                Thanks for this confirmation. However I still need the production date please.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
                                X