• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Meet 3rd Week June

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    http://ozarktrails.tripod.com/
    SDC Member 1985

Good idea Carl. The timing of the meets has a lot to do with availability and price of hotel rooms though. The 2016 Rhode Island meet is close to your date. June 26- July 2nd.
    Last edited by 41 Frank; 07-07-2014, 08:03 PM.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
      Good idea Carl. The timing of the meets has a lot to do with availability and price of hotel rooms. The 2016 Rhode Island meet is close to your date. June 26- July 2nd.
      ....but that still means having to travel over the Fourth of July weekend. Since Rhode Island is in the northeast corner of the country even more folks will have to travel longer distances to the meet and through some of the most heavily traveled highways and urban areas in the country on their way home on the Fourth. Even for us on the southeast coast we will have to go through DC, Philadelphia, and New York City with all the holiday traffic that will be on the road as well.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

These meets just started to be scheduled over the July 4th holiday in the past few years. I preferred it the other way, as I like to be home on the 4th. Airplane travel gets pricier on the holiday also. Can't please everyone, I guess.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

My 2 cents or is it 2 dollars with inflation.
          The last weekend in June in NY is High School graduation at most schools. Travel on any weekend in the summer in the North East is a problem. A little worse in Road Island when every one has to go either West or North or swim.
          Last meet I made was AOAI in Gettysburg and Lancaster before that
          I missed Dover due to lack of surplus money; Last Daughter was married in end of May. I do hope to make Road Island.
          Anything over 300 or so miles and I will want to drive a brand X.
          Ron

Comment

No doubt, Roy, you are right... it's impossible to please everybody!

I like Carl's suggestion, based on the fact that the weather is usually bearable in June, and most kiddos are out of school during that period.

When I first read that the 2015 meet was going to be in St. Louis, I was pleased. That's close enough for me to make it. Then, I noticed that the meet is going to be held in August. My first thought then was that I don't intend to deal with the August heat, out on the asphalt, and that the grand kids will already be back in the classroom then.

I can attend the meet without the kids, but I just don't handle the heat like I used to. I got a pleasant surprise when I Googled the average temperatures for St. Louis in August:

August is usually the hottest month for us in Oklahoma, so this would actually be a break from the heat for me.

There are so many factors that enter into scheduling such events, it would be impossible to limit an International meet to any one month of the year.
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

I could tell that you are from the South, without checking your address. Our local high school graduation was June 28, 2014. They go back to school after Labor Day. Of course our schedule has built in time for snow days.
              IIRC, SDC Conventions are allowed from May through September. In order to get more families and teachers, we would be limited to the peak Summer.
              This subject as been discussed many times on the Forum and at SDC Board Meetings.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary,
                I could tell that you are from the north, without checking your address. Our local high school graduation was May 30th, 2014. They go back to school August 1st. Of course our schedule has no built in time for snow days. But there are a couple built in for hurricanes a/o ice storms.

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                I could tell that you are from the South, without checking your address. Our local high school graduation was June 28, 2014. They go back to school after Labor Day. Of course our schedule has built in time for snow days.
                IIRC, SDC Conventions are allowed from May through September. In order to get more families and teachers, we would be limited to the peak Summer.
                This subject as been discussed many times on the Forum and at SDC Board Meetings.
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm afraid so long as these 4th of July meets continue, the SDC will just have to do without me.
                  Dave L, can't vouch for mid 80's next August, but St.L is looking forward to seeing you in 2015!

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                    I'm afraid so long as these 4th of July meets continue, the SDC will just have to do without me.
                    Dave L, can't vouch for mid 80's next August, but St.L is looking forward to seeing you in 2015!
                    Thanks, Gary!
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

How about anytime May through Sept as long as it's in South Bend. Seems like that location draws plenty of people.

Comment

That leaves the last 2 weeks in July to have a national meet. No holidays and the kids are out of school both north and South. About the most popular 2 weeks for a vacation.
                        Can someone tell me why the South goes back to School in August; about the hottest days of the year.
                        Ron

Comment

[QUOTE can't vouch for mid 80's next August, but St.L is looking forward to seeing you in 2015![/QUOTE]
                          I will go out on a limb and say that in August in St. Louis......you are much more likely to see close to 100 degrees with at least 85% humidity. It was cooler in Alabama than here. And Yes, I have lived in the St. Louis area for more than 10 years so I do know what I'm talking about. If you do not have AC, you will wish you did! Averages are skewed to make tourism look better.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I was afraid of that... I thought the averages were way low. Hopeful thinking, I reckon.
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                              How about anytime May through Sept as long as it's in South Bend. Seems like that location draws plenty of people.
                              This one gets my vote.

Ted

Comment

Working...
                              X