Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a 1948-49 Land Cruiser from Michigan.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a 1948-49 Land Cruiser from Michigan.....

This may be a shot in the dark, but I am wondering if a Land Cruiser I saw in suburban Detroit in the late '70's may still be around. We had a elderly neighbor in Birmingham, Michigan. Her last name was McVey. In her garage was a Land Cruiser owned by her sister who had passed years earlier. I believe the last time this car was out on the streets was in the 1960's. It was in storage.

Here are the specifics of the car. It was dark blue with suicide doors. It had an H-shift. The interior was a tan/gray fabric and was in very good condition. Some of the body panels had rust. I recall the quarter panels where they meet the headlights had holes in them. I did not look at the engine.

The woman died in 1980. The car may have been available for purchase circa 1980-82.

I was only a teenager back then and really did not have the resources or means of getting a car like that. I have wondered what happened to it over these years. Did it survive? If so, where is it? There is a good chance that it did not survive. But still, I wonder.

Does this car ring a bell with anyone on here? If anyone of you know of this car and its whereabouts, please let me know. You can either reply to this thread or contact me directly.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Indyted; 07-05-2014, 08:53 AM.

I know nothing of this vehicle, but if you get leads, let me know. I am two miles away from Birmingham and can go snooping.

Comment

Thanks. I will post 2 pictures if this car I took in '78-79 later today. In looking at them, I noticed one feature that will help in identifying this car. On the back trunk hood, just above the chrome trunk hatch/license plate light, is a plate bearing the dealership name. It reads "KIRCHER - DETROIT". According to Bob Johnstone's Studebaker site, Kircher Motors sold Studebakers in Detroit from 1940-50. This would be a distinguishing feature of this Land Cruiser, if not unique. So, if anyone know's a Land Cruiser with this dealer plate on it, I would love to talk with them.

I will post pictures later today.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1691207Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1691208
        Attached are the two photos I took of this car with a Polaroid camera. As mentioned in the post above, is the dealer plate is just above the trunk chrome latch/license plate light. It reads "KIRCHER -DETROIT". That was a dealer for Studebakers from 1940-50. That would be a distinguishing/unique feature for this car. The second pic shows the left-front on the car. Note the rust around the headlight.

If you know anyone who may have this car, I would be interested in talking with them. The car was painted dark blue then but may have been repainted since then.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

If you really do LIKE these '47-'49 Commander Land Cruisers, my suggestion is to get a GOOD one like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-C...US_Cars_Trucks

If and when you find that one it will most likely be in much worse condition, as it was not good way back when you knew it.
          I know nothing about this one other than what you see, but it does look good.

This a one sweet looking Car, very reminiscent of the late 40's, they should have used it to film "Driving Miss Daisy"!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich for the heads up. At this time, I am not interested in just any Land Cruiser but rather that specific Land Cruiser. If it still exists somewhere, I would be intersted in knowing more about it.

Comment

The rear bumper on the specific one you are looking for is from a 50 Commander and looks like a front bumper. Does it look like there are two bolts near the center where the front license plate would go?
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks Roy. Perhaps the back bumper was replaced circa 1950 on account of a fender bender?

As far as the bolts, could be but I am not certain.

Comment

Working...
                X