Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cravin
    replied
    The Commander looks like it will be a good car Bob. I like the front end on that year. I'll give you a hand getting it on the road.

Leave a comment:

• Cravin
    replied
    The Commander looks like it will be a good car Bob. I like the front end on that year. I'll give you a hand getting it on the road.

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Bob, I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you! OTOH, good job on the Commander. I've seen that car on ebay a few times now, so the seller will be happy and you'll easily recoup your investment from the extra parts.

In every cloud...

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
    www.studebakersandiego.com

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Bob, I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you! OTOH, good job on the Commander. I've seen that car on ebay a few times now, so the seller will be happy and you'll easily recoup your investment from the extra parts.

In every cloud...

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
    www.studebakersandiego.com

Leave a comment:

• 63larkcustom
    replied
    I'm sure the transmissions were good. On Lucy, she was very poorly cared for in the past several years as witnessed by the body damage and the condition of the engine, etc. I have no doubt that there will be problems with the rear end as well. But she is a complete car now and I can plate her and get the hoa off my back. Thanks for your help everyone.
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• 63larkcustom
    replied
    I'm sure the transmissions were good. On Lucy, she was very poorly cared for in the past several years as witnessed by the body damage and the condition of the engine, etc. I have no doubt that there will be problems with the rear end as well. But she is a complete car now and I can plate her and get the hoa off my back. Thanks for your help everyone.
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    The T-35s were not bad transmissions in their day. But this is 40+ years later. I had experience with 5 or 6 of these T-35s behind Rambler 199 and 232 six cylinders. All performed well and without failure for many, many miles.
    Anything mechanical can break! And if you have NO idea how it was treated or mistreated before it got to be yours, it's a risk.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    The T-35s were not bad transmissions in their day. But this is 40+ years later. I had experience with 5 or 6 of these T-35s behind Rambler 199 and 232 six cylinders. All performed well and without failure for many, many miles.
    Anything mechanical can break! And if you have NO idea how it was treated or mistreated before it got to be yours, it's a risk.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• 54-61-62
    replied
    My condolences are with you Bob. I personally know how you feel about your transmission.

Model 35 automatic transmissions are junk. Don't ask me how I know.

-----------------
    edit for clarifaction:

Yes, probally the 35's worked when new. But they don't take age, abuse, and wear anywhere near as well as a cast iron FOM.

Leave a comment:

• 54-61-62
    replied
    My condolences are with you Bob. I personally know how you feel about your transmission.

Model 35 automatic transmissions are junk. Don't ask me how I know.

-----------------
    edit for clarifaction:

Yes, probally the 35's worked when new. But they don't take age, abuse, and wear anywhere near as well as a cast iron FOM.

Leave a comment:

• 63larkcustom
    replied
    This is the link to the commander I bought. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3Dy%26fvi%3D1 sorry for the length of the url

Leave a comment:

• 63larkcustom
    replied
    This is the link to the commander I bought. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3Dy%26fvi%3D1 sorry for the length of the url

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Well since you have the 3 speed OD stuff on hand now, with everything you would need to do the swap, I'd say swap the auto for the manual. It will be a lot "peppier" that than automatic, and will save gas mileage as well.

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Well since you have the 3 speed OD stuff on hand now, with everything you would need to do the swap, I'd say swap the auto for the manual. It will be a lot "peppier" that than automatic, and will save gas mileage as well.

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Leave a comment:

• 63larkcustom
    replied
    There was a loud clank/bang that came from the middle of the hump. rear wheels locked up and engine shut down. I could not crank the engine or roll the car. I disconnected the flexplate bolts and the engine turns freely. I cannot push the car forwards or backwards and there is tranny fluid coming from the side of the case. I think its safe to say the tranny is toast. I'm not totally surprised after all the warnings I heard about this transmission coupled with the fact that when the machine shop reworked the engine, they said barnacles were hanging off the crank shaft. The car was sitting in oceanside CA for a few years. So, I guess a new tranny is in order (probably rear end too). I bid on the 64 on ebay to snatch its interior and a few other parts to finish Lucy. Its a 3 speed o/d. I may change Lucy over to manual tranny. If the commander has solid enough floors, I may pull Lucy's engine and see if I can make it run a while. I have all the brake stuff that needs to be installed on Lucy and its the same as the commander.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X