No announcement yet.

Lucy Progress-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob was here earlier. We jabbered about this 'n that while we got around to takin' the steering sector out of this ol' Wagoonaire.
    That done,I set about cutting away the old windshield gasket so we could extract the glass. After repeated cuts and whacking of the glass from the inside, it seemed ready to tip out at the top. In fact, it was maybe an inch away at the top when a crack whizzed from top to bottom![8][xx(] We were working together and not even tugging that hard at the glass when it split. Since it split right across one of the little stars that was already there, I figure that the star was the start of the split. Whatever was the cause, it happened too damn fast to see how it progressed.
    After a few explitives, we went to the shed where I have my glass stored and I let Bob take the WS that belongs to my Daytona project. After all, it's not goin' anywhere soon, and Bob needs to get Lucy on her feet ASAP. We'll worry about makin' things right some other day. GO Lucy GO!

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob was here earlier. We jabbered about this 'n that while we got around to takin' the steering sector out of this ol' Wagoonaire.
      That done,I set about cutting away the old windshield gasket so we could extract the glass. After repeated cuts and whacking of the glass from the inside, it seemed ready to tip out at the top. In fact, it was maybe an inch away at the top when a crack whizzed from top to bottom![8][xx(] We were working together and not even tugging that hard at the glass when it split. Since it split right across one of the little stars that was already there, I figure that the star was the start of the split. Whatever was the cause, it happened too damn fast to see how it progressed.
      After a few explitives, we went to the shed where I have my glass stored and I let Bob take the WS that belongs to my Daytona project. After all, it's not goin' anywhere soon, and Bob needs to get Lucy on her feet ASAP. We'll worry about makin' things right some other day. GO Lucy GO!

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I didn't think the windshield from a Wagonaire would work in anything else but a convertable, anyway~ Could I be wrong [?] [?] [?]
        (it wouldn't be the first time, BTW!!! [:0] [V] )

Good to hear about the progress being made!!!

StudeDave [8D]

edited for spelling... [V]
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I didn't think the windshield from a Wagonaire would work in anything else but a convertable, anyway~ Could I be wrong [?] [?] [?]
          (it wouldn't be the first time, BTW!!! [:0] [V] )

Good to hear about the progress being made!!!

StudeDave [8D]

edited for spelling... [V]
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Well.. just finished unloading the car of the plethora of parts that Anne and Mr. Biggs gave for Lucy-everything from seat padding to headlights, etc Christmas definitely came early for Lucy and I. It was a long day but very well worth it. It was so nice to finally put faces with names. I left Palm Springs at about 3:30am today(oops yesterday already) to head up to Annes house. I didnt even realize the jam was still going on on the 5. Just as I was starting to head up the 5, my phone rang. It was my mom in South Carolina warning me about the jam. I thought she was joking. I sat for several hours shortly after the call. It was supposed to be a 5 hour trip. I didn't get to Annes until about 12:30. When Anne found out about the traffic snafu, she and her family went over to the parts car and started pulling parts before I arrived to save some time The way home was much better, found Mr Biggs house with him waiting in the garage with toolbag in hand ready to get to it pulling the parts. We cracked the windshield on the wagonaire. So, going above and beyond, Bob pulled the windshield he was saving for the Daytona hardtop and gave it to me with the understanding that I will replace it soon. That was really incredible. My grandfather, mom and dad all worked for Studebaker and used to tell me stories how most everyone at the plant would help each other out. It is nice to see that tradition is alive and well. I look forward to the day I'm able to pay their generousity forward. I should be tired and ready to go to bed.. I'm not.. I'm ready to go start putting more parts on Lucy. Again, Anne and Mr Biggs, thanks for the help. Oh yeah.. got a couple bonuses Annes Pomegranite Jelly and got a look at Mr. Biggs horn button collection including a couple of prototypes that would have looked excellent had they made production.

Comment

Well.. just finished unloading the car of the plethora of parts that Anne and Mr. Biggs gave for Lucy-everything from seat padding to headlights, etc Christmas definitely came early for Lucy and I. It was a long day but very well worth it. It was so nice to finally put faces with names. I left Palm Springs at about 3:30am today(oops yesterday already) to head up to Annes house. I didnt even realize the jam was still going on on the 5. Just as I was starting to head up the 5, my phone rang. It was my mom in South Carolina warning me about the jam. I thought she was joking. I sat for several hours shortly after the call. It was supposed to be a 5 hour trip. I didn't get to Annes until about 12:30. When Anne found out about the traffic snafu, she and her family went over to the parts car and started pulling parts before I arrived to save some time The way home was much better, found Mr Biggs house with him waiting in the garage with toolbag in hand ready to get to it pulling the parts. We cracked the windshield on the wagonaire. So, going above and beyond, Bob pulled the windshield he was saving for the Daytona hardtop and gave it to me with the understanding that I will replace it soon. That was really incredible. My grandfather, mom and dad all worked for Studebaker and used to tell me stories how most everyone at the plant would help each other out. It is nice to see that tradition is alive and well. I look forward to the day I'm able to pay their generousity forward. I should be tired and ready to go to bed.. I'm not.. I'm ready to go start putting more parts on Lucy. Again, Anne and Mr Biggs, thanks for the help. Oh yeah.. got a couple bonuses Annes Pomegranite Jelly and got a look at Mr. Biggs horn button collection including a couple of prototypes that would have looked excellent had they made production.

Comment

Yeah, it's too bad we're so many miles apart, Bob. We could help each other with our projects.

Dave, you're thinking of the 64 models. 63 all used the same glass.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Yeah, it's too bad we're so many miles apart, Bob. We could help each other with our projects.

Dave, you're thinking of the 64 models. 63 all used the same glass.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Well today made more progress. Installed bumpers rear tail lights, right front headlight/turn signal assembly, intake/exhaust manifold, oil filter base, pcv hose/coupler and spark plugs. Next up, the carburetor, fuel pump, throttle linkage and that should just about do me for today. with the bumpers on and all the lights there as well as all the hoses connected under the hood. Lucy is starting to look like she ought to. Well.. back to the shop.

Comment

Well today made more progress. Installed bumpers rear tail lights, right front headlight/turn signal assembly, intake/exhaust manifold, oil filter base, pcv hose/coupler and spark plugs. Next up, the carburetor, fuel pump, throttle linkage and that should just about do me for today. with the bumpers on and all the lights there as well as all the hoses connected under the hood. Lucy is starting to look like she ought to. Well.. back to the shop.

Comment

Congrats on the progress, this sounds like a feature article for TW. I
                        am glad to hear you didnt get stuck IN the tunnel fire![:0]

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Congrats on the progress, this sounds like a feature article for TW. I
                          am glad to hear you didnt get stuck IN the tunnel fire![:0]

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Glad to here you are getting the parts to complete Lucy. Here in the Pacific NW parts have a tendency to rust too much. Good luck.

1963 Cruiser, 1963 Wagonaire, 1952 Champion. Based in Oregon.

Comment

Glad to here you are getting the parts to complete Lucy. Here in the Pacific NW parts have a tendency to rust too much. Good luck.

1963 Cruiser, 1963 Wagonaire, 1952 Champion. Based in Oregon.

Comment

Well.. once she's running I'll take the time to put something together for TW. I'm willing to bet the other clubs dont help each other out like what i've experienced. Really quite amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X