No announcement yet.

Packard Hawk body # 471

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JDP, I looked at the pictures of the Packard Hawk and it has a lot of issues. They may be minor but they all cost money. First the good. It has a rebuilt engine? Looks like someone did something since its painted the wrong color. SC leaks? most likely the large O ring around the two halves needs replacing. Unless its leaking through a front seal. Neither is hard to replace. Obviously the front fenders have had work done. Missing top of the fender lights and the lower rear ahead of doors have been repaired and painted. No front fender stainless spears, mylar on fins coming off and it looks like its a rust issue under the mylar. Also rust on trunk lid. The PACKARD on the trunk should have three pins that hold it in place. This one appears loose. Nose piece is cracked and would have to be repaired. The front bumpers on these are three pieces. There is a joint behind each of those front dagmars. This one has some damage on the right outer piece, looks repairable. Taillights have pitted chrome and wrong lenses. Original upholstery is not likely to be salvageable. Its pretty brittle by now. Door panels may be useable. There is an auxilary gauge under the dash, what does not work? The glove box door is dented. And of course the metal grill should be black not body color. I would think its in the 11 to 13K range simply because most of the hard to find stuff is there and the mechanicals have been done. The fan shroud is there with only minimal damage. The hood scoop piece is there (need I tell you how hard those are to find?) The arm rest base on the door top seems to be there without the padding or upholstery. Hard to tell from those pictures how much of it is still there. The trunk lid spinner is there. It obviously does not have the rear antenna or the crankup front antenna as the fender mounted antenna is too far forward. I believe those fenders have had a lot or work done on them. They do appear to have the front fender cut for a Packard Hawk. It is different from the studebaker hawks. The stainless wheel surround may be missing on the drivers side. Not an easy item to find. It is there on the passenger side. Certainly a car you would want to have someone eyeball. If it has all the mechanical stuff done that would save a bundle but you still have some plating needs and some painting and upholstery. You could easily put another 15K in it and still have just a nice driver.

Mike
    www.packardhawk.com

Comment

• JDP, I looked at the pictures of the Packard Hawk and it has a lot of issues. They may be minor but they all cost money. First the good. It has a rebuilt engine? Looks like someone did something since its painted the wrong color. SC leaks? most likely the large O ring around the two halves needs replacing. Unless its leaking through a front seal. Neither is hard to replace. Obviously the front fenders have had work done. Missing top of the fender lights and the lower rear ahead of doors have been repaired and painted. No front fender stainless spears, mylar on fins coming off and it looks like its a rust issue under the mylar. Also rust on trunk lid. The PACKARD on the trunk should have three pins that hold it in place. This one appears loose. Nose piece is cracked and would have to be repaired. The front bumpers on these are three pieces. There is a joint behind each of those front dagmars. This one has some damage on the right outer piece, looks repairable. Taillights have pitted chrome and wrong lenses. Original upholstery is not likely to be salvageable. Its pretty brittle by now. Door panels may be useable. There is an auxilary gauge under the dash, what does not work? The glove box door is dented. And of course the metal grill should be black not body color. I would think its in the 11 to 13K range simply because most of the hard to find stuff is there and the mechanicals have been done. The fan shroud is there with only minimal damage. The hood scoop piece is there (need I tell you how hard those are to find?) The arm rest base on the door top seems to be there without the padding or upholstery. Hard to tell from those pictures how much of it is still there. The trunk lid spinner is there. It obviously does not have the rear antenna or the crankup front antenna as the fender mounted antenna is too far forward. I believe those fenders have had a lot or work done on them. They do appear to have the front fender cut for a Packard Hawk. It is different from the studebaker hawks. The stainless wheel surround may be missing on the drivers side. Not an easy item to find. It is there on the passenger side. Certainly a car you would want to have someone eyeball. If it has all the mechanical stuff done that would save a bundle but you still have some plating needs and some painting and upholstery. You could easily put another 15K in it and still have just a nice driver.

Mike
      www.packardhawk.com

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by JDP

On a related subject, is a 58 Packard hardtop in just fair condition worth $3500 to buy for resale. ( Found another one in California) Pictures coming later, but it's somewhere between a beater and a driver, mismatched paint, rough interior, has not ran in a few years.

JDP/Maryland

IMO: NO!

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by JDP

On a related subject, is a 58 Packard hardtop in just fair condition worth $3500 to buy for resale. ( Found another one in California) Pictures coming later, but it's somewhere between a beater and a driver, mismatched paint, rough interior, has not ran in a few years.

JDP/Maryland

IMO: NO!

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

Studegary,the answer to your question is no. I purchased mine 2 yrs ago from an estate sale in Pa, # 300 , residing now in Wayne.. The other 2 I know of are # 117 & I believe #134, 117 is in Newfoundland and has a sedan rear, black with tan interior. the other is in Closter and he recently purchased that this year, white with parade red top..
            Spicer's Packard Hawk is in Ramsey. Before they traded for it, a couple of friends owned it. Two owner's before Spicers had it redone in original off-white color and it won an International First Place. He later re-did the car in sort of a maroon and won an International Senior First. I had worked on the car in those phases, including being there for the engine drop where it really dropped into the engine bay (it is not easy to put an engine and transmission in one of those with the front end on it - not like a Studebaker Hawk).

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

Studegary,the answer to your question is no. I purchased mine 2 yrs ago from an estate sale in Pa, # 300 , residing now in Wayne.. The other 2 I know of are # 117 & I believe #134, 117 is in Newfoundland and has a sedan rear, black with tan interior. the other is in Closter and he recently purchased that this year, white with parade red top..
              Spicer's Packard Hawk is in Ramsey. Before they traded for it, a couple of friends owned it. Two owner's before Spicers had it redone in original off-white color and it won an International First Place. He later re-did the car in sort of a maroon and won an International Senior First. I had worked on the car in those phases, including being there for the engine drop where it really dropped into the engine bay (it is not easy to put an engine and transmission in one of those with the front end on it - not like a Studebaker Hawk).

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

• BTW, that is the location for the factory power antenna. (I have a NOS one here0

JDP/Maryland
                64 R2 GT cost to date
                $60,876.94
                63 Lark 2 door
                54 Starlight
                52 Starliner
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

• BTW, that is the location for the factory power antenna. (I have a NOS one here0

JDP/Maryland
                  64 R2 GT cost to date
                  $60,876.94
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  54 Starlight
                  52 Starliner
                  51 Commander
                  39 Coupe express
                  39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by A1956GoldenHawk
                    I'm lovin' the sideview of a Packard Hawk over any other finned Hawk: http://www.stude.com/PH/47b7ce00b312...izbtr.jpg.html But ...whoever designed & approved the front end http://www.stude.com/PH/47b7ce00b312...izbtr.jpg.html must have done so with great vengeance late on a Friday afternoon. The P/Hawk deserved a lot better than this exercise in automotive design!!!
                    As a follow on to my previous posting (above)...

Have read everything I could find surrounding the design/styling of the Packard Hawk. Having worked with automotive design/stylist types long enough, I thought I could recognize "a 30 minute design exercise with a little vengeance/spite thrown in." Sure enough, Fred K. Fox's article in the Oct. 1995, SDC Turning Wheels issue confirmed my suspicion. Read the article if you have that issue handy! If not, the crux was McRea designed it thinking it was just to be a one-off, personal toy to appease his boss. No one could have been more surprised than McRea himself when his boss actually ordered it in to production as the ...Packard Hawk.

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by A1956GoldenHawk
                      I'm lovin' the sideview of a Packard Hawk over any other finned Hawk: http://www.stude.com/PH/47b7ce00b312...izbtr.jpg.html But ...whoever designed & approved the front end http://www.stude.com/PH/47b7ce00b312...izbtr.jpg.html must have done so with great vengeance late on a Friday afternoon. The P/Hawk deserved a lot better than this exercise in automotive design!!!
                      As a follow on to my previous posting (above)...

Have read everything I could find surrounding the design/styling of the Packard Hawk. Having worked with automotive design/stylist types long enough, I thought I could recognize "a 30 minute design exercise with a little vengeance/spite thrown in." Sure enough, Fred K. Fox's article in the Oct. 1995, SDC Turning Wheels issue confirmed my suspicion. Read the article if you have that issue handy! If not, the crux was McRea designed it thinking it was just to be a one-off, personal toy to appease his boss. No one could have been more surprised than McRea himself when his boss actually ordered it in to production as the ...Packard Hawk.

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

• That would be an interesting item, I have seen Packard Hawks with the dual rears and the front crankup but none with a power antenna.

quote:Originally posted by JDP

BTW, that is the location for the factory power antenna. (I have a NOS one here0

JDP/Maryland
                        64 R2 GT cost to date
                        $60,876.94
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        54 Starlight
                        52 Starliner
                        51 Commander
                        39 Coupe express
                        39 Coupe express (rod)

Mike
                        www.packardhawk.com

Comment

• That would be an interesting item, I have seen Packard Hawks with the dual rears and the front crankup but none with a power antenna.

quote:Originally posted by JDP

BTW, that is the location for the factory power antenna. (I have a NOS one here0

JDP/Maryland
                          64 R2 GT cost to date
                          $60,876.94
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          54 Starlight
                          52 Starliner
                          51 Commander
                          39 Coupe express
                          39 Coupe express (rod)

Mike
                          www.packardhawk.com

Comment