Studebaker Dealer--Moorhead, MN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Dealer--Moorhead, MN

Does anybody remember Cordell Motors, Studebaker dealer located at 1246 First Avenue North, Moorhead, Minnsota (across the line from Fargo, ND)? My '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1 was purchased from there, as payment for construction work done for the owner of the dealership, Ray Guillemette. My brother-in-law's brother went to college in Moorhead and lives not real far from there now, and told me a few weeks back that he remembers Cordell Motors, probably post-Studebaker, but thinks the building is gone now.

Anybody have any memories of the place?

The dealer contract card from the SNM says it only began selling Studes in '59.

Thanks,
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Quote: "The dealer contract card from the SNM says it only began selling Studes in '59."

I am not familiar with this document. I have ordered several "production orders" or build sheets, hopefully someone will enlighten me.

55 Commander
    58 Transtar
    62 GT Hawk
    66 Cruiser

Comment

Quote: "The dealer contract card from the SNM says it only began selling Studes in '59."

I am not familiar with this document. I have ordered several "production orders" or build sheets, hopefully someone will enlighten me.

55 Commander
      58 Transtar
      62 GT Hawk
      66 Cruiser

Comment

I've had appointments in the archives at the SNM a couple times over the years, most recently just under two years ago.

They have file cabinets that reminded me of what you used to see in the local public library. One was in state, then city or town, location order, and the other was in alpha order. You could locate the "contract cards" of a dealer by name, or town. It's neat, by town you can see when Studebaker dealers changed hands, and who the owner was, the street address, when they started and stopped operation, etc. I don't think the SNM has really advertised these. Not a whole lot of information on them besides the above.

All dealers that lasted until March '66 had "Terminated 3/5/66" stamped on their contract cards, and those that became authorized Studebaker Service Dealers at that point (I'd say, most of them), have handwritten "SD" on them after that.

Wish I had a scanner; I'd scan both cards that were in these cabinets for my car's selling dealer, in here for all to see.

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        All are in Australia now

Comment

I've had appointments in the archives at the SNM a couple times over the years, most recently just under two years ago.

They have file cabinets that reminded me of what you used to see in the local public library. One was in state, then city or town, location order, and the other was in alpha order. You could locate the "contract cards" of a dealer by name, or town. It's neat, by town you can see when Studebaker dealers changed hands, and who the owner was, the street address, when they started and stopped operation, etc. I don't think the SNM has really advertised these. Not a whole lot of information on them besides the above.

All dealers that lasted until March '66 had "Terminated 3/5/66" stamped on their contract cards, and those that became authorized Studebaker Service Dealers at that point (I'd say, most of them), have handwritten "SD" on them after that.

Wish I had a scanner; I'd scan both cards that were in these cabinets for my car's selling dealer, in here for all to see.

Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Bill,

I've been carrying a small calender from Cordell Motors around in my billfold for 40+ years. My uncle sold cars for them. His name was WALT RINGQUIST. He found my first Studebaker for me. It was a beautiful 1953 Starlite Coupe. Not bad for a kid in high school. The back of the card contains this info:

RAMBLER CARS

WILLYS TRUCK

NEW AND USED

WALT RINGQUIST

CORDELL MOTORS

1246 1ST AVE. N.

SEE - DRIVE - BUY - GO RAMBLER

TOP PERFORMING STAR

The calender is for 1959

Jim Ringquist
            sigpic

Comment

Bill,

I've been carrying a small calender from Cordell Motors around in my billfold for 40+ years. My uncle sold cars for them. His name was WALT RINGQUIST. He found my first Studebaker for me. It was a beautiful 1953 Starlite Coupe. Not bad for a kid in high school. The back of the card contains this info:

RAMBLER CARS

WILLYS TRUCK

NEW AND USED

WALT RINGQUIST

CORDELL MOTORS

1246 1ST AVE. N.

SEE - DRIVE - BUY - GO RAMBLER

TOP PERFORMING STAR

The calender is for 1959

Jim Ringquist
              sigpic

Comment

Jim, thanks for the response, very neat! Do you know if the building is gone or not?

Thanks,
                Bill Pressler
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                All are in Australia now

Comment

Jim, thanks for the response, very neat! Do you know if the building is gone or not?

Thanks,
                  Bill Pressler
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

Jim,
                    Welcome to the forum.
                    B. Millette

Comment

Jim,
                      Welcome to the forum.
                      B. Millette