Survivor GT auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
    'Just a thought...after all, SDC did exist when this 1963 Hawk was manufactured. [:0] Obviously, SDC's founders weren't thinking that far ahead, since much of their original mission was to find parts for their prewar Studebakers.
    I remember SDC as being founded by a group of people that were using their postwar Studebakers as their regular transportation, hence the name of Drivers Club. These were people that associated with A&M Garage.
    I recently came across someone that said that he was an SDC member since 1962. I didn't question him but I find it hard to believe. The Club was incorporated late in December 1962 and this guy was not one of the charter members.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

'Just a thought...after all, SDC did exist when this 1963 Hawk was manufactured. [:0] Obviously, SDC's founders weren't thinking that far ahead, since much of their original mission was to find parts for their prewar Studebakers.
      I remember SDC as being founded by a group of people that were using their postwar Studebakers as their regular transportation, hence the name of Drivers Club. These were people that associated with A&M Garage.
      I recently came across someone that said that he was an SDC member since 1962. I didn't question him but I find it hard to believe. The Club was incorporated late in December 1962 and this guy was not one of the charter members.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Oh hell, I'll quick looking then. BTW here's the Jowett site.

http://keithclements.co.uk/jowettnet/

JDP/Maryland
        Interesting site, John. The Flying Fox and The Weasel? And how about the Kingfisher? Ya' gotta love that one! [8D] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Oh hell, I'll quick looking then. BTW here's the Jowett site.

http://keithclements.co.uk/jowettnet/

JDP/Maryland
          Interesting site, John. The Flying Fox and The Weasel? And how about the Kingfisher? Ya' gotta love that one! [8D] BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Well, Gary, if you go WAAAAY back to some of the earliest remarks made by the founders, Harry Barnes really was ticked off that Studebaker could not furnish items for prewar cars that Harry kind of felt should (or maybe might) still be available circa 1961-1962. That's when the gang organized at A&M Garage to discuss what to do. Of course, it was natural that they'd all be driving Studebakers of some variety in 1962, hence the name Drivers Club, as you say.

AFAIK, Packard Automobile Classics is the only other single-marque club to have been founded while the make was in production, and then survived the marque's demise. Can anyone think of any others? [?] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Well, Gary, if you go WAAAAY back to some of the earliest remarks made by the founders, Harry Barnes really was ticked off that Studebaker could not furnish items for prewar cars that Harry kind of felt should (or maybe might) still be available circa 1961-1962. That's when the gang organized at A&M Garage to discuss what to do. Of course, it was natural that they'd all be driving Studebakers of some variety in 1962, hence the name Drivers Club, as you say.

AFAIK, Packard Automobile Classics is the only other single-marque club to have been founded while the make was in production, and then survived the marque's demise. Can anyone think of any others? [?] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I think there's a handful of Oldsmobile clubs that were around before the demise of the marque in 2004. There's a local chapter of one of them here that holds a meet in the town of Olds, Alberta (appropriately enough), almost every year. And the same would go for Plymouth. I remember a Plymouth international meet that was held here in 1990.

Craig

Comment

I think there's a handful of Oldsmobile clubs that were around before the demise of the marque in 2004. There's a local chapter of one of them here that holds a meet in the town of Olds, Alberta (appropriately enough), almost every year. And the same would go for Plymouth. I remember a Plymouth international meet that was held here in 1990.

Craig

Comment

Bob,

This may not technically pass, but how about a Jeep club? Since the civilain CJ2-A was introduced in 1946 the Jeep has retained its same general form (though it has dropped the CJ designation) through today. While the model has survived, the manufacturers have not (i.e. Willys Overland, Kaiser Jeep, American Motors Corporation, etc.).

Gary

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Bob,

This may not technically pass, but how about a Jeep club? Since the civilain CJ2-A was introduced in 1946 the Jeep has retained its same general form (though it has dropped the CJ designation) through today. While the model has survived, the manufacturers have not (i.e. Willys Overland, Kaiser Jeep, American Motors Corporation, etc.).

Gary

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

Comment

Google says:

Formed in 1923, the JCC claims to be the oldest one-make car club in the world. The Jowett Car Club is the oldest one make car club in the world having been formed in 1923.

JDP/Maryland
                        64 R2 GT cost to date
                        $58,185.77
                        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                        63 GT Hawk
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        59 Scotsman
                        58 Packard HT
                        56 Golden Hawk
                        52 Starliner
                        51 Commander
                        39 Coupe express
                        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Google says:

Formed in 1923, the JCC claims to be the oldest one-make car club in the world. The Jowett Car Club is the oldest one make car club in the world having been formed in 1923.

JDP/Maryland
                          64 R2 GT cost to date
                          $58,185.77
                          64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                          63 GT Hawk
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          59 Scotsman
                          58 Packard HT
                          56 Golden Hawk
                          52 Starliner
                          51 Commander
                          39 Coupe express
                          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

JP, somehow I think that BP was referring to clubs that are stateside.

Comment

JP, somehow I think that BP was referring to clubs that are stateside.

Comment

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                                X