My new welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new welder

Finally getting around to posting this... couldn't decide whether to put it here or on the Tech page; so here goes

Just got this welder from a buddy that's the regional rep for Miller:

http://millerwelds.com/products/mig/...c_140_autoset/

And this helmet:

http://millerwelds.com/products/weld...mets/elite.php

I wanted a new small welder as my old Marquette was, well, old. Todd had been telling me about the new Auto-Set welders; so I tried this one while I was playing around with his welders at a show, and I was hooked! You set your metal thickness and wire size, and that's IT- the welder adjusts the rest! It does have manual controls also, but for the beginner or novice, it's ideal. I needed something for sheet metal and light-gauge stuff, and this one works great, even on less-than-perfect metal (i.e. floor metal). I built a box out of some 1/8" plate I had laying around to see what it could do, and it passed with flying colors with the .024 wire that came with it.

This would do fine for Stude frames, brackets, mounts, etc.; however to weld these heavier metals you'll need to know what you're doing. It's basically plug-and-play right out of the box, and if you want one, I can get it for you for WAAY less than MSR. I got the better cart, the 75-25 cylinder, gloves, 2 tip kits, and 2 spools of wire with it for next-to-nothing in the deal.

As for the helmet- it's also incredible; but then, my old one's 25 years old, and not auto-darken... This is the first auto I've had, and it also has several adjustments to tailor it to the job, and users preference; well worth the money, but again, I got it WAAY cheaper than MSR.

Lots of companies make good welders, but to me, the auto-set is a great welder for rookie, novice, and grizzled veteran alike!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Nice unit. I love my Hobart MIG. I have my eye on Hobarts "250CI" 115v plasma cutter. It's only 800 bucks!
    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Nice unit. I love my Hobart MIG. I have my eye on Hobarts "250CI" 115v plasma cutter. It's only 800 bucks!
      Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Does the helmet have bifocal lenses?

If at first you don't succeed you will get a lot of advice.

Lark Parker
        sigpic
        Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Does the helmet have bifocal lenses?

If at first you don't succeed you will get a lot of advice.

Lark Parker
          sigpic
          Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

The auto-darks are really nice on small stuff.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
            64 Avanti R3w/NOS
            88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

The auto-darks are really nice on small stuff.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
              64 Avanti R3w/NOS
              88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

Hobart is actually owned by Miller. When Miller bought Hobart, due to some government rule, they weren't allowed to buy the rights to the heavier-duty welders. So Hobart is Miller's lower-level, "cheapo" line. Usually sold in parts stores, wholesale clubs, and the like. My buddy says they're OK welders, but the Millers are well worth the little more they cost.

As for the bifocal helmet, that'd be a good idea; but imagine what THAT'D cost[:0] I beleive they do have magnifying lenses available though. I wouldn't know, as I don't need them.................yet.....

But it did take a little to get used to not having to put the helmet up, point the nozzle, and nod the helmet down[8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Hobart is actually owned by Miller. When Miller bought Hobart, due to some government rule, they weren't allowed to buy the rights to the heavier-duty welders. So Hobart is Miller's lower-level, "cheapo" line. Usually sold in parts stores, wholesale clubs, and the like. My buddy says they're OK welders, but the Millers are well worth the little more they cost.

As for the bifocal helmet, that'd be a good idea; but imagine what THAT'D cost[:0] I beleive they do have magnifying lenses available though. I wouldn't know, as I don't need them.................yet.....

But it did take a little to get used to not having to put the helmet up, point the nozzle, and nod the helmet down[8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Sounds as good a reason as any for a welder. I got a Clarke 60A MIG, .035 wire, tips, etc, from the Menards here last month to replace my Lincoln Electric Arc Hobby Welder. The price was right at about two hundred or so for everything. The Hobby Welder was too small, too simple(a switch and a transformer). There was one bigger but I didn't wanna bother because this was the biggest I could go for a plug in. The bigger brother had a four wire setup and needed a heavy gauge plug. Much as I wanted it, we dont have the electrical capability in the separate garage for it(which is funny because we have it right at the breaker, but it would require running four wire out to the garage), so I just needed something to plug and go. Apparently it will handle up to 3/8, which is plenty for me, providing theres media around here of that caliber.
                    Sounds like you got the gas conversion kit. I didnt get the kit as they had the parts but none of the media(cylinders, cart) to plug and go. Ah well another day. Now I gotta figure what to do with it, lol.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                    [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                    [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Sounds as good a reason as any for a welder. I got a Clarke 60A MIG, .035 wire, tips, etc, from the Menards here last month to replace my Lincoln Electric Arc Hobby Welder. The price was right at about two hundred or so for everything. The Hobby Welder was too small, too simple(a switch and a transformer). There was one bigger but I didn't wanna bother because this was the biggest I could go for a plug in. The bigger brother had a four wire setup and needed a heavy gauge plug. Much as I wanted it, we dont have the electrical capability in the separate garage for it(which is funny because we have it right at the breaker, but it would require running four wire out to the garage), so I just needed something to plug and go. Apparently it will handle up to 3/8, which is plenty for me, providing theres media around here of that caliber.
                      Sounds like you got the gas conversion kit. I didnt get the kit as they had the parts but none of the media(cylinders, cart) to plug and go. Ah well another day. Now I gotta figure what to do with it, lol.

1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                      [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                      [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                      [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                      [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Good point; forgot to mention, this one's 120v- plugs into any wall outlet.

And it does come with the gas kit; for most work, solid wire with shielding gas is cleaner and easier to run. Will run flux wire, though.

Be careful welding plate with any 120v welder- the 3/8 limit you mention is double the maximum recommended by the manufacturer[:0]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Good point; forgot to mention, this one's 120v- plugs into any wall outlet.

And it does come with the gas kit; for most work, solid wire with shielding gas is cleaner and easier to run. Will run flux wire, though.

Be careful welding plate with any 120v welder- the 3/8 limit you mention is double the maximum recommended by the manufacturer[:0]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Nice lil' welder..
                            Just remember the 20% duty cycle when doing longer welds.
                            That's 12 seconds per minute.
                            The overheat light/shutdown feature is nice, but I wouldn't want to continually bump it.
                            Try to get your gas guy to sell you a custom mix gas and use a soft wire (best for body work welding).
                            But you have a welder buddy, so he can steer you straight..
                            Good find!
                            Jeff[8D]
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Nice lil' welder..
                              Just remember the 20% duty cycle when doing longer welds.
                              That's 12 seconds per minute.
                              The overheat light/shutdown feature is nice, but I wouldn't want to continually bump it.
                              Try to get your gas guy to sell you a custom mix gas and use a soft wire (best for body work welding).
                              But you have a welder buddy, so he can steer you straight..
                              Good find!
                              Jeff[8D]
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X