need advice car purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice car purchase

Has anyone used escrow.com? I am thinking about using them while a title issue gets figured out.
    Last edited by rrtaylor; 06-29-2014, 01:51 PM.

This sounds pretty simple:

1. It has a Florida title.

2. You are going to try to title it in North Carolina.

3. When the car and title appear in NC from FL, does NC require that the VIN be located, inspected, and confirmed by a police officer or some other official, before NC will process the FL title and issue you a new NC title in your name?

3a. If the answer to #3 is YES, STOP.

3b. If the answer to #3 is NO, you might want to buy it. But at some time, you may want to sell it...and title/ownership laws are only going to tighten up in the interim. Hence, even if you buy it now and get a fresh NC title in your name because no inspection was required, it might not be so easy down the road when lack of proper ID on the vehicle would inhibit if not kill your ability to sell it.

(In Indiana, the answer to #3 is YES, so I wouldn't be buying the car. But you don't live in Indiana, although someone who bought it from you could not get a title for it without a legitimate ID somewhere for a policeman to inspect.)

Can you find the engine number? If so, does it match the title? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hi
      This is my car!
      Simply put a dymotape serial number on the car and spray it with undercoat and dust it good.
      Most DMV employee's can not tell the difference.
      Or spend some money and buy a serial plate from White Post restorations.

http://www.whiteglovecollection.com/images/platesLG.jpg.

Robert Kapteyn
      Last edited by rkapteyn; 06-25-2014, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
        Hi. This is my car!
        Did you move from Joliet IL, Bob?

He says the seller lives in NC. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yes Bob.
          I am still in Joliet but they won't let me out.
          Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Of course the original serial PLATE was originally attached to the left frame rail under the lf fender. What model and body style? You know besides the serial plate that the serial number is also stamped into the frame?? Can be found pretty easily on most. If it matches the number on your title no problem.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

North Carolina does require the proper VIN on the car, especially when the car is coming in from out of state. It will need to be inspected. Contact your local DMV office for details. Some counties have inspectors that are real sticklers, while others are a little more lenient.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by rrtaylor
                Thanks men I appreciate the advice.
                3. When the car and title appear in NC from FL, does NC require that the VIN be located, inspected, and confirmed by a police officer or some other official, before NC will process the FL title and issue you a new NC title in your name?
                Answer -Yes and the state will issue a new vin, title and two id tags supposedly. That's why I wanted to esrow until it cleared the DMV process.

So you think I should pass Bob?
                The motor is not original to the car so no help there.
                The state will issue a new VIN? (Vehicle Identification Number?) That doesn't make any sense to me; are you sure that's what you meant to say?

I can't/won't advise on whether or not to buy the car in light of all this. Check out the other posts in the thread, especially if Dick Quinn can assist in locating a hidden Serial Number, and then make what you feel is an appropriate decision. BP

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                  I am still in Joliet but they won't let me out.
                  They let Jake out! And he didn't even have any business prospects!
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

State Issued "VIN" Numbers

Many States here in the West including, Wash. and Calif. do issue these Replacement "VIN Plates" (Foil Stickers) with their State name and a generic I.D. (VIN) Number. This usually happens on "Assembled Vehicles", Home Built etc. but also used on very old or any age with missing or unreadable, unverifiable Serial Number Vehicles.

Last Month Washington did one better than that, they stuck their Wash. Blank sticker with 2 fake Rivets on the Door Post but instead of THEIR Number, they used the '78 Chev. Suburban 4X4 Serial Number they found under the Cab in the "secret spot" of my Son's '76 Chev. 3/4 Ton 4X4 PICKUP body & Cab and they cut the Cab I.D. Plate off, left the dash mounted one on and issued a Title to match the Burb. Frame Serial Number.

It was no surprise to my Son Ron, he told them it was an "ASSEMBLED" Vehicle that he built from 2 Trucks and a 3rd. Engine.
                    I was just flabbergasted to hear the weirdness of what they did because I never heard of anything like that.

If that were one of my Studes. I would go to jail or die before I would EVER let them destroy the original Serial Number Plate!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                    X