No announcement yet.

STILL No Respect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have a problem with Studebakers being in the 'NOT HOT' category as I do with them saying 'Weird Uncle Harold' has one. It makes it sound like only oddballs bought these cars. I bet Weird Uncle Harold traded his R2 Daytona for a Mark Donahue Javelin, a Rebel Machine or a SCrambler...[}]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I agree that R2 Larks/Hawks are "hot" within our hobby, not so much in the big picture. R2's are the Studebaker Hemi, yet even at 30-50K a copy, they bring a fraction of the other muscle cars prices. I think were getting closer to those values, getting hotter as it were, perhaps not yet hot. I think we need to be careful about getting what we ask for. If the word gets out that the Studebaker muscle car value are growing faster then the rest of the market we'll find the deep pocket investors will snap them up.
      We've already reached the point that many in the hobby have given up the chase for a nice R2 as they watch the values get out of reach. Many, if not most of the older SDC members got in the hobby because Studebaker were affordable, the new guys are often a bit more well off then the old ones. 10 years ago, I'd never see a Studebaker share a garage with a exotic import, now I'd don't even blink a eye when it happens. Sorry to be dwelling so much on values, since I know many could care less about the value of their beloved Studebaker, it's only a factor for those still looking for their dream Studebaker.

JDP/Maryland
      64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
      63 Lark 2 door
      58 Packard HT
      56 Golden Hawk
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I agree that R2 Larks/Hawks are "hot" within our hobby, not so much in the big picture. R2's are the Studebaker Hemi, yet even at 30-50K a copy, they bring a fraction of the other muscle cars prices. I think were getting closer to those values, getting hotter as it were, perhaps not yet hot. I think we need to be careful about getting what we ask for. If the word gets out that the Studebaker muscle car value are growing faster then the rest of the market we'll find the deep pocket investors will snap them up.
        We've already reached the point that many in the hobby have given up the chase for a nice R2 as they watch the values get out of reach. Many, if not most of the older SDC members got in the hobby because Studebaker were affordable, the new guys are often a bit more well off then the old ones. 10 years ago, I'd never see a Studebaker share a garage with a exotic import, now I'd don't even blink a eye when it happens. Sorry to be dwelling so much on values, since I know many could care less about the value of their beloved Studebaker, it's only a factor for those still looking for their dream Studebaker.

JDP/Maryland
        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
        63 Lark 2 door
        58 Packard HT
        56 Golden Hawk
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

It's a double-edged sword for me. It's nice to see values go up, but it makes me wince every time JDP points out a new "record" for some Stude that we never would've DREAMED would sell for "that much".

Just the other day I was recalling and lamenting the 60 Lark hardtop - V8 auto, looking like (and running like) a year old car at worst - I turned down for $100 in the mid-70s.[xx(] Non-running Studes would be GIVEN away just to get them out of someone's yard or driveway!

Of course, you can STILL get into this mania for cheap as it were. Look at that 48 Commander in Detroit that Scott brought to our attention. $2500 bucks and it looks pretty damned decent.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It's a double-edged sword for me. It's nice to see values go up, but it makes me wince every time JDP points out a new "record" for some Stude that we never would've DREAMED would sell for "that much".

Just the other day I was recalling and lamenting the 60 Lark hardtop - V8 auto, looking like (and running like) a year old car at worst - I turned down for $100 in the mid-70s.[xx(] Non-running Studes would be GIVEN away just to get them out of someone's yard or driveway!

Of course, you can STILL get into this mania for cheap as it were. Look at that 48 Commander in Detroit that Scott brought to our attention. $2500 bucks and it looks pretty damned decent.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Here's a example of our hobby's future, a nice, typical e-mail I received just now:

"Hi there,

I saw your ad for the Golden Hawk on e-bay and was fascinated to see your story of restoring so many of these wonderful cars. Before he passed, my father and I restored a 1955 President coupe. We towed it out of a junk yard in Boaz, Alabama when I was 13 years old, and he told me "If you want a car when you're 16, there it is. It's up to you to work on it if you want it to be ready." That was the three best years of my life. I will never forget the cold nights or hot days in our garage restoring it from the ground up. When I hit 16 and drove the finished product to high school in 1985, I was suddenly everyone's best friend. Some day, when the finances are right, I'm going to pursue another '55. I'll look you up!

Anyway, sorry to bore you with my history. I just love Studebaker automobiles, and am thrilled to see you doing what you do. Thanks for keeping them alive.

Richard xxxxx
              Buford, Georgia"

JDP/Maryland
              64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
              63 Lark 2 door
              58 Packard HT
              56 Golden Hawk
              52 Starliner
              51 Commander
              39 Coupe express
              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Here's a example of our hobby's future, a nice, typical e-mail I received just now:

"Hi there,

I saw your ad for the Golden Hawk on e-bay and was fascinated to see your story of restoring so many of these wonderful cars. Before he passed, my father and I restored a 1955 President coupe. We towed it out of a junk yard in Boaz, Alabama when I was 13 years old, and he told me "If you want a car when you're 16, there it is. It's up to you to work on it if you want it to be ready." That was the three best years of my life. I will never forget the cold nights or hot days in our garage restoring it from the ground up. When I hit 16 and drove the finished product to high school in 1985, I was suddenly everyone's best friend. Some day, when the finances are right, I'm going to pursue another '55. I'll look you up!

Anyway, sorry to bore you with my history. I just love Studebaker automobiles, and am thrilled to see you doing what you do. Thanks for keeping them alive.

Richard xxxxx
                Buford, Georgia"

JDP/Maryland
                64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                63 Lark 2 door
                58 Packard HT
                56 Golden Hawk
                52 Starliner
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)