STILL No Respect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

I have lots of Mr. Genat's books, and find them well researched (as well as written).

Does anyone else think that in that quote above Robert has mistaken Studebaker for AMC?
    I don't. I think his comments are aimed at the independents in general. I don't think any of AMC's stuff, even AMX's, are hard to buy for a reasonable price either. Consider a 390 or 401 engined AMX to be an AMC 'Avanti'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

I have lots of Mr. Genat's books, and find them well researched (as well as written).

Does anyone else think that in that quote above Robert has mistaken Studebaker for AMC?
      I don't. I think his comments are aimed at the independents in general. I don't think any of AMC's stuff, even AMX's, are hard to buy for a reasonable price either. Consider a 390 or 401 engined AMX to be an AMC 'Avanti'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

So I'm at the grocery store and made a casual pass of the magazine rack for some reading material. I decided to get the October issue of Muscle Car Review. One of the articles was titled 'Collecting Vintage Muscle - An entusiast's guide to buying/restoring '60-'64 musclecars'. I figuired after all the positive publicity that our Studebaker racers have recieved in the PSMCD events that there would be a little positive reinforcement for the Lazy 'S'.

Umm, no. It was a complete 'Big 3' love fest. The only Studebaker mention was under their 'What's HOT/What's NOT' side bar on page 24. It's under the NOT.

quote:Written by Robert Genat

SUPERCHARGED STUDEBAKER "The Big 3 were so big, and people were so conditioned to being a Ford family or a Dodge family. Would we buy a Studebaker? No, weird Uncle Harold has one of those. In the 1970's, that changed when Penske started running Javelins in Trans Am."
        Your comments, Bob P? I remember a lot of us fought to keep MCR alive about 6 or 7 years ago because they actually were more inclined to reporting on the 'odd & unusual' over the mainstream Big Three stuff. I think the editors at MCR (and the rest of the muscle car mags) recognize your famous signature by now!

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

So I'm at the grocery store and made a casual pass of the magazine rack for some reading material. I decided to get the October issue of Muscle Car Review. One of the articles was titled 'Collecting Vintage Muscle - An entusiast's guide to buying/restoring '60-'64 musclecars'. I figuired after all the positive publicity that our Studebaker racers have recieved in the PSMCD events that there would be a little positive reinforcement for the Lazy 'S'.

Umm, no. It was a complete 'Big 3' love fest. The only Studebaker mention was under their 'What's HOT/What's NOT' side bar on page 24. It's under the NOT.

quote:Written by Robert Genat

SUPERCHARGED STUDEBAKER "The Big 3 were so big, and people were so conditioned to being a Ford family or a Dodge family. Would we buy a Studebaker? No, weird Uncle Harold has one of those. In the 1970's, that changed when Penske started running Javelins in Trans Am."
          Your comments, Bob P? I remember a lot of us fought to keep MCR alive about 6 or 7 years ago because they actually were more inclined to reporting on the 'odd & unusual' over the mainstream Big Three stuff. I think the editors at MCR (and the rest of the muscle car mags) recognize your famous signature by now!

Craig

Comment

I can't believe they would list a Stude as "Not" hot. Doesn't MCR attend the Pure Stock drags?
            I think an email is in order...
            Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

I can't believe they would list a Stude as "Not" hot. Doesn't MCR attend the Pure Stock drags?
              I think an email is in order...
              Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

[quote

Craig
                [/quote]

Today's Muscle Car Review isn't the same as the one that gave us such a fair shake 8-10 years ago, Craig. The older one, under the Editorship of Tom Shaw, was more interesting because the man at the top, Tom Shaw, directed editorial policy that embraced all performance cars of the muscle car era. I haven't followed the spits and restarts of the revived MCR as close as I might, but without Tom (or an equally-open-minded fellow) at the helm, you'll get the sort of ho-hum "reporting" that started this thread.

Tom is now a more-or-less free-lance writer, selling his articles to whatever magazine will buy them. I spoke with him awhile this September at The Pure Stock Drags and he remains interested in our Studebakers as much as anything; a good guy to have on our side. His articles now appear just about anywhere, although he is doing a lot of writing for Amos Press through their Cars & Parts and Muscle Car Enthusiast magazines.

Muscle Car Enthusiast Editor Steve Statham was at The Pure Stock Drags taking many photos. I don't know when they'll have a feature article on the 2007 Pure Stock Drags, but I am sure they will. With our many Studebakers there [again!], I'm sure we will have favorable coverage therein.

Meanwhile, we are getting regular Studebaker articles in Hemmings Classic Car and Hemmings Muscle Machines. That is the most important coverage because they are the foremost publishers in the collector car field; Hemmings Classic Car paid circulation has topped 100,000 per month! I just reviewed an unusual 1953-1954 Studebaker Champion Buyer's Guide (of all things) for Hemmings Classic Car that will appear within a month or two.

Talk about irony. What was their reasoning for publishing a 1953-1954 Champion Buyer's Guide? They felt popular collectable Studebakers [read: R-powered cars] were getting so expensive, they wanted to assure would-be hobbyists that you could have the famous Studebaker style and uniqueness without spending an arm and a leg!

Across the aisle at Hemmings Muscle Machines, a "Weekend Warrior" retro article is on the docket for the Ray Tanner Whistler R2/4-speed 1963 Lark Regal briefly mentioned in the recent HMM article on Ted Harbit's Stude Tomato. I fortunately retained my correspondence and photos from 1963, when I wrote Ray Tanner [at age 17, remember!] about the car and received a nice 2-page letter and photos from them with lots of information about the car and its National Record-setting in AHRA's A/Compact Stock class. One of the writers at Hemmings has been in contact and wants to use that material for a one-page "Weekend Warrior" review of period drag race cars. [][]

(Meanwhile, if anyone knows the whereabouts of Ray Tanner's Whistler, it would be great to locate the actual car! Its present whereabouts are unknown [V] to the best of my knowledge...and that of Nelson Bove, which is really saying something! All my photos of it are black & white, but research has led us to believe it was Blue Mist 1963 Lark Regal 2-door, Serial Number 63V15969, shipped with engine #JTS1412 under the hood. Body Number is thought to be 63V-F4 746. It would be great to locate this car [], last seen professionally lettered up as a drag race competitor where delivered in the Phoenix AZ area. Any junk yard dogs patrolling the yards in Arizona, be on the lookout! [:I])

So progress continues despite ill-advised remarks such as those published under Robert Genat's name, here. (I wonder if wei
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

[quote

Craig
                  [/quote]

Today's Muscle Car Review isn't the same as the one that gave us such a fair shake 8-10 years ago, Craig. The older one, under the Editorship of Tom Shaw, was more interesting because the man at the top, Tom Shaw, directed editorial policy that embraced all performance cars of the muscle car era. I haven't followed the spits and restarts of the revived MCR as close as I might, but without Tom (or an equally-open-minded fellow) at the helm, you'll get the sort of ho-hum "reporting" that started this thread.

Tom is now a more-or-less free-lance writer, selling his articles to whatever magazine will buy them. I spoke with him awhile this September at The Pure Stock Drags and he remains interested in our Studebakers as much as anything; a good guy to have on our side. His articles now appear just about anywhere, although he is doing a lot of writing for Amos Press through their Cars & Parts and Muscle Car Enthusiast magazines.

Muscle Car Enthusiast Editor Steve Statham was at The Pure Stock Drags taking many photos. I don't know when they'll have a feature article on the 2007 Pure Stock Drags, but I am sure they will. With our many Studebakers there [again!], I'm sure we will have favorable coverage therein.

Meanwhile, we are getting regular Studebaker articles in Hemmings Classic Car and Hemmings Muscle Machines. That is the most important coverage because they are the foremost publishers in the collector car field; Hemmings Classic Car paid circulation has topped 100,000 per month! I just reviewed an unusual 1953-1954 Studebaker Champion Buyer's Guide (of all things) for Hemmings Classic Car that will appear within a month or two.

Talk about irony. What was their reasoning for publishing a 1953-1954 Champion Buyer's Guide? They felt popular collectable Studebakers [read: R-powered cars] were getting so expensive, they wanted to assure would-be hobbyists that you could have the famous Studebaker style and uniqueness without spending an arm and a leg!

Across the aisle at Hemmings Muscle Machines, a "Weekend Warrior" retro article is on the docket for the Ray Tanner Whistler R2/4-speed 1963 Lark Regal briefly mentioned in the recent HMM article on Ted Harbit's Stude Tomato. I fortunately retained my correspondence and photos from 1963, when I wrote Ray Tanner [at age 17, remember!] about the car and received a nice 2-page letter and photos from them with lots of information about the car and its National Record-setting in AHRA's A/Compact Stock class. One of the writers at Hemmings has been in contact and wants to use that material for a one-page "Weekend Warrior" review of period drag race cars. [][]

(Meanwhile, if anyone knows the whereabouts of Ray Tanner's Whistler, it would be great to locate the actual car! Its present whereabouts are unknown [V] to the best of my knowledge...and that of Nelson Bove, which is really saying something! All my photos of it are black & white, but research has led us to believe it was Blue Mist 1963 Lark Regal 2-door, Serial Number 63V15969, shipped with engine #JTS1412 under the hood. Body Number is thought to be 63V-F4 746. It would be great to locate this car [], last seen professionally lettered up as a drag race competitor where delivered in the Phoenix AZ area. Any junk yard dogs patrolling the yards in Arizona, be on the lookout! [:I])

So progress continues despite ill-advised remarks such as those published under Robert Genat's name, here. (I wonder if wei
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Okay, that explains it![^] I used to buy MCR quite regularly as they had some very unique 'special orders' and 'factory one-offs' of all makes that no other magazine covered at the time. I've seen less and less of that in the current MCR's.[V]

Craig

Comment

Okay, that explains it![^] I used to buy MCR quite regularly as they had some very unique 'special orders' and 'factory one-offs' of all makes that no other magazine covered at the time. I've seen less and less of that in the current MCR's.[V]

Craig

Comment

I for one am glad that Studes are not "hot", I probably wouldn't have mine now if they were. I too was one of those that hadn't even thought about a Stude even though I had always liked the '53-'54 Coupes. I've thanked my friends several times for putting me onto this car.

Analog man in a digital world.

Comment

I for one am glad that Studes are not "hot", I probably wouldn't have mine now if they were. I too was one of those that hadn't even thought about a Stude even though I had always liked the '53-'54 Coupes. I've thanked my friends several times for putting me onto this car.

Analog man in a digital world.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Craig
                            Yes, I think the jury is still out on the reincarnated Muscle Car Review, Craig. [}] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Craig
                              Yes, I think the jury is still out on the reincarnated Muscle Car Review, Craig. [}] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I don't have a problem with Studebakers being in the 'NOT HOT' category as I do with them saying 'Weird Uncle Harold' has one. It makes it sound like only oddballs bought these cars. I bet Weird Uncle Harold traded his R2 Daytona for a Mark Donahue Javelin, a Rebel Machine or a SCrambler...[}]

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Working...
                                X