No announcement yet.

Spanish on door pillar plate...why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a 1951 example from South Bend. Forgot this was in my file. Built in South Bend and sold in Williamsport, PA. You will see the "Marca Registrada" on a whole lot of items other than Studebakers, automobiles, and any hundreds of other items on the market at the time.

I suppose, it would be more curious to know what the "Marca Industrial Registrada Bajo No. 1629" might have meant!
    Last edited by rockne10; 06-07-2014, 01:13 AM.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
      If you look at any 1950 or '51 Studebaker car or truck serial number plate, they all have that espanol. These were the long plates that had room for the extra wording. I don't know what initiated the addition of that wording, or why it was mostly discontinued after 1951. Probably due to some new import-export legislation by one of the countries involved. A lawyer specializing in international business/corporate law with an eye for history may be able find out more.
      With Dwain's post, we're perhaps getting a little closer to reality. The Canadian plate appears to have been affixed to 53 models, at least from what we're learning. It couldn't have been on 54 models or later until the 60s since the company was known as Studebaker-Packard Corporation. With Dwain's post we learn that the U.S. version is on 50/51 models, perhaps unlikely before that. This is getting interesting.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
        With Dwain's post, we're perhaps getting a little closer to reality. The Canadian plate appears to have been affixed to 53 models, at least from what we're learning. It couldn't have been on 54 models or later until the 60s since the company was known as Studebaker-Packard Corporation. With Dwain's post we learn that the U.S. version is on 50/51 models, perhaps unlikely before that. This is getting interesting.

Stu Chapman
        I'm surprised no antique Studebaker people have said anything. As long as Studebaker attached the serial number plate to the frame rail, it is almost a case of how many languages would you like. Spanish, Greek, Japanese, Estonian, Romanian, etc. There are literally dozens of countries listed ( in very small print). There two dates for Mexico, 1912 and 1920.

Terry

Comment

Marca registrada literally means registerd mark, or trademark. So...industrial trademark under number 1629. On the left, Studebaker logo, then, "trademark made in US of A".

There is a accurate translation. The why, I don't know. I am very curious myself.

Comment

Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
            I'm surprised no antique Studebaker people have said anything. As long as Studebaker attached the serial number plate to the frame rail, it is almost a case of how many languages would you like. Spanish, Greek, Japanese, Estonian, Romanian, etc. There are literally dozens of countries listed ( in very small print). There two dates for Mexico, 1912 and 1920.

Terry
            Canadian-produced cars carried this plate on the driver's side front door pillar below the normal serial plate.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
              Canadian-produced cars carried this plate on the driver's side front door pillar below the normal serial plate.

Stu Chapman
              Prior to 1940 (I think that's the first year for the door pillar mounted plate) it is all on the serial number plate on the left frame rail. My 27 Dictator is a Walkerville car (serial #1956037) and everything is there.

Terry

Comment

The frame rail plate as referenced by Terry. This one from 1933.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	P6070432.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	1690900Click image for larger version

Name:	P6070433.jpg
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	1690901Click image for larger version

Name:	P6070434.jpg
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	1690902
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

I have a nothing special '48 Land Cruiser rusting in my back yard right now that has a Spanish S/N plate. The car was built in South Bend and spent most of its life in Des Moines before coming back to South Bend sometime in the '60s. I've often wondered why Studebaker did that.
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Working...
                    X