No announcement yet.

Stude dealers offer T-bird alternative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude dealers offer T-bird alternative?

Coulda come to pass if the thing with DKW had borne fruit.[:I]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1959-...QQcmdZViewItem

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

I think the front end looks like a Sunbeam Tiger.

Chris Pile
    The Studebaker Special
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I think the front end looks like a Sunbeam Tiger.

Chris Pile
      The Studebaker Special
      Midway Chapter SDC
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

They didn't need a T-Bird alternative because the Hawk was better than the T-Bird [:0]

Leonard Shepherd
        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

They didn't need a T-Bird alternative because the Hawk was better than the T-Bird [:0]

Leonard Shepherd
          http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Funny how things can change... six months ago I didn't care for the GTs; but I keep looking at the one here and now I'm wanting one[:I]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Funny how things can change... six months ago I didn't care for the GTs; but I keep looking at the one here and now I'm wanting one[:I]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Interesting comparison, Leonard. I actually owned a 62 T-bird coupe and later, a 61 T-bird convert. Strictly as a boulevard cruiser, I'd rather have the T-bird. From a practical standpoint (in this day and age) I'd rather own the Hawk. Primary amongst considerations would be gas mileage! That 390 was thirsty. But they were a smooth and classy ride![8D]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Interesting comparison, Leonard. I actually owned a 62 T-bird coupe and later, a 61 T-bird convert. Strictly as a boulevard cruiser, I'd rather have the T-bird. From a practical standpoint (in this day and age) I'd rather own the Hawk. Primary amongst considerations would be gas mileage! That 390 was thirsty. But they were a smooth and classy ride![8D]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

Very interesting car... I could see myself playing with it.

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
                    Yeah, 350-350 combo, narrowed 9 inch. Yeah, I too, could see myself playing with it.

Jerry Forrester
                    Be sure to check out my eBay store
                    http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_
                    for your shiny Stude stuff
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

Very interesting car... I could see myself playing with it.

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
                      Yeah, 350-350 combo, narrowed 9 inch. Yeah, I too, could see myself playing with it.

Jerry Forrester
                      Be sure to check out my eBay store
                      http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_
                      for your shiny Stude stuff
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I like Studebakers, but I can't stretch to the point of saying that "the Hawk was better than a T-bird." I am talking about when they were new cars used for transportation in the '60s.
                        My sister bought a new 1963 Thunderbird for less than the Avanti that she was considering. I had a 1964 Hawk. I have driven and ridden in both and many others. For body integrity, interior quality and power, the Thunderbird was much better than an equivalent Hawk. The resale on a one to three year old Thunderbird was also better than the Hawk. As far as a collector car now, I would rather have the Hawk.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I like Studebakers, but I can't stretch to the point of saying that "the Hawk was better than a T-bird." I am talking about when they were new cars used for transportation in the '60s.
                          My sister bought a new 1963 Thunderbird for less than the Avanti that she was considering. I had a 1964 Hawk. I have driven and ridden in both and many others. For body integrity, interior quality and power, the Thunderbird was much better than an equivalent Hawk. The resale on a one to three year old Thunderbird was also better than the Hawk. As far as a collector car now, I would rather have the Hawk.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Having not driven either a GT or that vintage of T-Bird, I won't pretend to say which is the better car, but...

By 61, the "European style" GT grille was already a few years old, and while Steven's updates and a new dash made the car look newer, it 's still basically a 53 design, not so the new for 61 T-Bird.

The T-Bird had similar stying to the new Lincoln abd while some of the stying touches seem dated now (the rocket-style tailights) few would say it's a bad looking car. Plus, you could get it as a convertiable (though their popularity was beginning to drop off for anything larger than a pony car..and the new contenders for "personal luxury cars...the 63 Riveria and the 67 Toronado...weren't offered at drop tops).

So which would I have bought in 61?
                            Probably the T-Bird...because it looked newer.
                            And I'd guess your average image conscious surburbanite would have said the same thing.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Having not driven either a GT or that vintage of T-Bird, I won't pretend to say which is the better car, but...

By 61, the "European style" GT grille was already a few years old, and while Steven's updates and a new dash made the car look newer, it 's still basically a 53 design, not so the new for 61 T-Bird.

The T-Bird had similar stying to the new Lincoln abd while some of the stying touches seem dated now (the rocket-style tailights) few would say it's a bad looking car. Plus, you could get it as a convertiable (though their popularity was beginning to drop off for anything larger than a pony car..and the new contenders for "personal luxury cars...the 63 Riveria and the 67 Toronado...weren't offered at drop tops).

So which would I have bought in 61?
                              Probably the T-Bird...because it looked newer.
                              And I'd guess your average image conscious surburbanite would have said the same thing.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X