Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did any Studebakers have oval road wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did any Studebakers have oval road wheels?

I suppose anything is possible, but I was left wondering that after visiting the FedEx store today to get a quote on shipping the set of Studebaker disc brake wheels to forum member Joe Baty.

I carried in one disc brake wheel and plopped it down on their scale, face up. To most people, I would think it looks like a round, ordinary, steel car wheel.

However, the girl who waited on me dutifully took out her tape measure to measure it, as you would expect. She measured across the top of the wheel, rim to rim to get the diameter, and then moved her tape measure around the top of the wheel 90 degrees and measured it again! (Honest, Joe; the wheels look perfectly round to me; not oval!) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Obviously does not have a clue Bob. Repetitive work does that to a person, you kind of become like a zombie.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Maybe she was just making sure you were shipping high QUALITY Wheels Bob!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
        Obviously does not have a clue Bob. Repetitive work does that to a person, you kind of become like a zombie.
        Agreed, Frank. I didn't say anything when she did it, as she seemed nice and conscientious. They are so used to measuring both dimensions on the top of a box that it was undoubtedly force of habit, even though the object was a circle, not a box! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Unfortunately...I once bought a Hawk with oval wheels. The previous owner, poor old Mr. Thompson (RIP).

They allowed him to keep his drivers license a few ditches and curbs too long.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            Unfortunately...I once bought a Hawk with oval wheels. The previous owner, poor old Mr. Thompson (RIP).

They allowed him to keep his drivers license a few ditches and curbs too long.
            Ah-HA, John! I bet you're the one they reference in the FedEx Training Center. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Are you certain you didn't take it to FedEx during a power failure and inadvertently took an oval Studebaker steering wheel by mistake because you couldn't see what you were doing? But of course you would have noticed the difference in weight. Or maybe not. Tongue in cheek Bob, LOL.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                She measured across the top of the wheel, rim to rim to get the diameter, [COLOR=#ff0000][I][B]and then moved her tape measure around the top of the wheel 90 degrees and measured it again!
                Maybe you should have packed it in a hatbox! Perhaps she can relate to that better!!

Craig

Comment

Bob,
                  Are you sure that was a disk brake wheel & not one off of that experimental SP-X 437119 military car that they were working on in a shop at the proving ground when things shut down in South Bend? I have heard bits & pieces about that car & I think I heard that the wheels were a little "off" to not only gain better grip in the jungle but to dissuade Chrysler from copying them.

Comment

Indeed! The Super-Turtle that was in development in late '63 - it was fitted with those oval wheels. Individually driven hubs gave the vehicle the ability to clear stumps, boulders and other ground clearance impediments. Grainy old 8MM footage shows the ST humping along over an obstacle course looking as tho it were engaged in some other sort of "course".
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

There you have it; you heard it here first! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

If you race on oval tracks you need oval wheels...
                        Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Im surprised no one has asked if she was blonde
                          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

You guys are too much...thanks for the chuckles!
                            Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                            Im surprised no one has asked if she was blonde
                            Lou Van Anne
                            62 Champ
                            64 R2 GT Hawk
                            79 Avanti II

Comment

Firestone Wide Oval tires must be mounted on oval wheels!
                              KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X