Studebaker crashes Super Chevy party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker crashes Super Chevy party

I did my part to get the name out there this weekend by racing in the Super Chevy event in Martin MI. I'm allowed in because of the Chevy engine, and I thought it would be fun to turn a few heads with the Studebaker at their event. Sure enough the car got plenty of looks and thumbs up. And more than a few puzzled walk arounds - you can always tell they are searching for an emblem to figure out what the heck it is. 52 Studebakers are a little below the radar of most Chevy enthusiasts.

Sunday was a busy day, so they got us 2 time trials in before eliminations. These were my first passes of the year, and unfortunately I was running a little red on the tree. The first time trial was a red light, but the 2nd was a nice 12.80 run with a .002 reaction time. Dangerously close but green. I was hoping to do it again but went .02 red in round one and so handed the race to the other guy. Too bad, because the car ran another 12.80 on the nose. I blame the reaction time app I was playing with on my buddies cell phone. That's the story I'm sticking with.

Anyway it was a hot day and it felt great to just be out at the track and having some car fun. No breakdowns, no thrown fan belts, and the car ran strong. I didn't have anybody to take pictures for me on the track, but here's one I snapped in the lanes.
    Attached Files

That is one nice '52!!!
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Glad to see your reception was better than this Camaro guy who crashed the Mustang car show....

<span style="color:#000080;"><strong>
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Ha! He had to expect that.
        Not too many other non-chevies were in attendance. A Dodge demon and an 80's mustang. Both small block powered. Maybe the mustang guy got a little ribbing but all folks love Studebakers.

Comment

Good to hear that you're having fun.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Did you run 12.8 in a 1/4 mile? What do you have under the hood? You have a very good looking car and I love the fact that it looks mostly stock. Its a sleeper for sure.

Comment

12.80 at 107 mph in the 1/4 yes. Its a Chevy 454 with edelbrock aluminum heads and a nice comp cam. Not much else really. 750 holley and some headers.
              But I still run pump gas and I leave the mufflers on.
              Some assume the car is all street rodded out, but the body, frame and suspension is all Studebaker. Albeit a bit narrower in the rear.

Comment

Good for you! Show those Chevy guys was a little class looks like! That's impressive performance for a street car, great job.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

That is a gorgeous car. We were parked next each other on the field at the IM in South Bend two years ago. Glad to see it out on the track.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                  X