R3 & R4 ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R3 & R4 ???

Has anybody kept a registry of any surviving R3 & R4 cars preferebly the Lark type cars. My long term goal is to clone an R4 Daytona. I would love to talk to somebody who has one or used to have one, I now finding an original is next to impossible but, I'm 33 I have time to look <Grin>. I would like to see one if somebody close has an original or a correct clone.

Thanks John
    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Sorry about that I'm new to this forum, I will update my profile soon.

I am in NW PA, about 40 minutes south of Erie.

Does anybody know where the cars Studegary refered to are?

John Meyers told me he was reading a magazine YEARS AGO! and he seen of to the side in a what looked to be a scrap pile, an R4 motor with carbs and all, in a photo.

What about Avanti's and Hawks?

How many R4's where built?

I'm really more into the R4 setup, I've read that they are not as powerful as th R3, but theres something about popin the hood and having a set of dual 4's starin at you.

Thanks John
    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

Sorry about that I'm new to this forum, I will update my profile soon.

I am in NW PA, about 40 minutes south of Erie.

Does anybody know where the cars Studegary refered to are?

John Meyers told me he was reading a magazine YEARS AGO! and he seen of to the side in a what looked to be a scrap pile, an R4 motor with carbs and all, in a photo.

What about Avanti's and Hawks?

How many R4's where built?

I'm really more into the R4 setup, I've read that they are not as powerful as th R3, but theres something about popin the hood and having a set of dual 4's starin at you.

Thanks John
      John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

Since I believe that there was only one each of Lark type R3 and R4 cars built by Studebaker, I do not see the need for a "registry."

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Since I believe that there was only one each of Lark type R3 and R4 cars built by Studebaker, I do not see the need for a "registry."

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

John; in order for us to recommend someone's car "CLOSE" to you to check out (there are almost No originals, but quite a few clones in various body types) so, we would need to know at least what State you are in, and probably what nearest City. [V]

I see that you are like most forum members, with NO info on your profile, really makes it hard to connect and help each other!

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

John; in order for us to recommend someone's car "CLOSE" to you to check out (there are almost No originals, but quite a few clones in various body types) so, we would need to know at least what State you are in, and probably what nearest City. [V]

I see that you are like most forum members, with NO info on your profile, really makes it hard to connect and help each other!

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

John is in Northwest Pennsylvania.

[edit] I do not know how John's response jumped to the top....[V]

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

John is in Northwest Pennsylvania.

[edit] I do not know how John's response jumped to the top....[V]

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Hi, John,

The R4 photo John Meyers is most likely referencing is one which appeared in a Hot Rod Magazine Engine Swapping Annual issue back in the early '70s. It had an article about a 425" Oldsmobile being swapped into an Avanti because the R4 kept blowing up when the SoCal owner tried to race it. The R4 was sitting forlornly in a pile of stuff beside the Avanti as the Olds was being lowered in. Prolly could have picked it up pretty cheap that day.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

Hi, John,

The R4 photo John Meyers is most likely referencing is one which appeared in a Hot Rod Magazine Engine Swapping Annual issue back in the early '70s. It had an article about a 425" Oldsmobile being swapped into an Avanti because the R4 kept blowing up when the SoCal owner tried to race it. The R4 was sitting forlornly in a pile of stuff beside the Avanti as the Olds was being lowered in. Prolly could have picked it up pretty cheap that day.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                      PackardV8

Comment

Rather then cloning a R4, which involves 4-10K worth of cylinder heads, just do the R4 manifold, convert a R1/R2 pan and valve covers to the R4 look, add a harmonic balancer, a R2+ cam, the cast iron headers, paint the thing engine red, and your done. Paul Johnson owns a NOS R4 engine you can use as a guide. It's be a pain to drive on the street and fuel economy will be dismal. (I recall 7 MPG in the magazine tests.), but it'll look fast.

JDP/Maryland
                        64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
                        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        58 Packard HT
                        56 Golden Hawk
                        52 Starliner
                        51 Commander
                        39 Coupe express
                        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Rather then cloning a R4, which involves 4-10K worth of cylinder heads, just do the R4 manifold, convert a R1/R2 pan and valve covers to the R4 look, add a harmonic balancer, a R2+ cam, the cast iron headers, paint the thing engine red, and your done. Paul Johnson owns a NOS R4 engine you can use as a guide. It's be a pain to drive on the street and fuel economy will be dismal. (I recall 7 MPG in the magazine tests.), but it'll look fast.

JDP/Maryland
                          64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
                          64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          58 Packard HT
                          56 Golden Hawk
                          52 Starliner
                          51 Commander
                          39 Coupe express
                          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:[edit] I do not know how John's response jumped to the top....
                            This is the second Tuesday in October and posts have been jumping all over the place. I think it's sunspots.[:0]

Brad Johnson
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

quote:[edit] I do not know how John's response jumped to the top....
                              This is the second Tuesday in October and posts have been jumping all over the place. I think it's sunspots.[:0]

Brad Johnson
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
                              X