Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to get window u channels and door seals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get window u channels and door seals?

I am at the point where I need to get door seals, window runs, and other misc. rubber parts.
    I have made a list at Studebaker International. The only thing is, it seems too good of price. Like the window u channels @ $24.50 each? every other u channel I found was $60 to $70 each. Has anyone bought this type of things from them?
    I am working on my 56 2 door wagon. I dont want to order complete junk, but I dont need concourse restoration grade stuff either. Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

Most of the rubber and channel stuff I have gotten from SI has been pretty good. It will probably last as long as the original rubber, especially if the car is kept in a garage most of the time. I'm pretty sure there is only one source making the Stude specific door seals etc so there probably isn't any difference in quality from vendor to vendor.

Comment

Thank you! this is what I wanted to know. My car had NO rubber on it anywhere when I got it, so I dont even know what it is supposed to look like. If you have had good luck with SI I will consider putting in the order form of $225 I have filled out!

I would like to hear other comments.

Comment

There is not much else to say about the Window runs, channels, cat whiskers, and rubber door seals except most all Club Members and other Studebaker owners buy these for their Cars & Trucks and the other Studebaker Vendors do also, so they are as good as it gets. No lower or higher quality products exist for most all of it, for about 1937 to 1966 Models.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

As Ed indicated, there is one producer of the rubber; that's Valerie Hansen, formerly Fennessey from Tennessee.
          Valerie's ad is on page 60 of May, 2014 Turning Wheels.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I buy my window runs, channels, and cat whiskers from Restoration Specialties in Windbar PA: http://www.restorationspecialties.com/

Have purchased from them for years, always great quality and competitive prices. The also attend a lot of the big multi-marque shows/swap meets, and will bring your order to the meet so you save on shipping cost. I started buying from them at the big Charlotte NC swap meet at Charlotte Motor Speedway about 30 years ago.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I just finished my 56 Champion this spring. Bought the entire rubber kit from SI. The only thing that kept giving me trouble was the channels when trying to bend them. I spoiled several of them. I tried soaking them with soap, silicone etc. Tried very carefully by twisting them back and forth while gradually bending them but eventually they would kink on me. The front doors were the hardest because they are so long. I did get them, not perfect but not too noticeable. I looked at some twice the price but not really sure if they were any different.
              When it came to the cat whiskers they required special clips also from SI. I tried clamping them with small ignition pliers but didn't like the results so I made a special pliers to clamp them with. It has a hole drilled through the one jaw for the button to sit in. With it you get a perfect clamp job. One other tip is to install one clip at one end, I chose the curved end, clip it into it's appropriate hole and then mark the other locations with a fine felt pen on the chrome bead. I tried working from the old one but ended up with bad spacing and had to redo many on the first one.
              I can lend the tool to anyone needing it with a $20.00 deposit and shipping cost. It takes all the fight out of it as the clip is held in the tool just as a hog ring would be leaving your other hand free to hold the strip. I can supply a photo of the tool if anyone is interested.
              Nick

Comment

as far as the cat whiskers go I finally threw the clips away and used 3M double stick tape it worked great and was very easy to
                work with...........53 stude mod

Comment

Originally posted by 53 stude mod View Post
                  as far as the cat whiskers go I finally threw the clips away and used 3M double stick tape it worked great and was very easy to
                  work with...........53 stude mod
                  I used the 3M tape on my '37 Olds because at the time could not source the proper clips. When I purchased cat's whiskers from SI they had the clips so it made installation easy. I have used SI for two of my cars and plan on using them for the '64. Both SI and Valerie Hansen attend the International Meets where I know that SI will delivery free if prepaid.
                  sigpic
                  55 President Deluxe
                  64 Commander
                  66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by njonkman View Post
                    When it came to the cat whiskers they required special clips also from SI. I tried clamping them with small ignition pliers but didn't like the results so I made a special pliers to clamp them with. It has a hole drilled through the one jaw for the button to sit in. With it you get a perfect clamp job. Nick
                    Nick, I ended up making an identical tool using a pair of lineman's pliers that I got for a few bucks at the salvage discount store
                    Last edited by r1lark; 05-30-2014, 09:48 AM. Reason: spellin'
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Thank you members. I am quite comfortable making this order now.

Comment

As promised here are some pictures of the tool I made to install the cat whisker/window run strip.
                        I used a 1/4 inch carbide drill to drill a 1/4" hole through the jaw in the drill press. The other jaw got it's serrations ground off plus a bit more and some off the end. This keeps the jaws parallel when pinching the clip and allows it to slip into place while pinching.
                        Nick
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	plier1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1690849 Click image for larger version

Name:	plier2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1690851

Click image for larger version

Name:	plier3.JPG