Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill Wagner Estate Auction, Coronach, SK

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bill Wagner Estate Auction, Coronach, SK


  • #2
    Thanks Craig for posting this. There's something very unique about this car. Check out the special plate on the door post below the Hamilton serial plate. I have one of these plates in my collection but been unable to determine its purpose. It's in Spanish and my only guess is that the car was originally built for shipment to Mexico or some other Latin-America location. It would be interesting to know its history and how it got back to Canada. Any ideas out there?

    Stu Chapman

    Comment


    • #3
      Wow! Pretty cool old Champion. I once drove a '54 Champion coupe, converted to a 259, in almost that same colour. Takes me back, it does. Looks like a darn solid car, too.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
        It's in Spanish and my only guess is that the car was originally built for shipment to Mexico or some other Latin-America location. It would be interesting to know its history and how it got back to Canada. Any ideas out there?
        Stu,

        I believe it is Latin, and goes back to a time when Latin was used for 'official' documentation, including trademarks, doctor's prescriptions, etc. I have seen other consumer products from the early 20th Century with "Marca Registrada" to denote registered trademark.

        Craig

        Comment


        • #5
          kinda mopar-esque with the near slime-green color and black bumble-bee stripe at the rear. that knob by the o/d handle and climatizer heat control...is that factory, and if it is, what is it for?
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            Stu,

            I believe it is Latin, and goes back to a time when Latin was used for 'official' documentation, including trademarks, doctor's prescriptions, etc. I have seen other consumer products from the early 20th Century with "Marca Registrada" to denote registered trademark.

            Craig
            But why would it be on this car Craig.

            Stu Chapman

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
              But why would it be on this car Craig.
              And others as well: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=marca

              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=marca

              Craig

              Comment


              • #8
                But you'll notice this car was built in Hamilton and the extra plate also signifies Hamilton? Is it worth checking out the build ticket?

                Stu Chapman

                Stu Chapman

                Comment


                • #9
                  Don't think you can get Cdn built sheets before 1960.
                  sigpic

                  Home of the Fried Green Tomato

                  "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

                  1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It is Spanish, not Latin.
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My 51 LC is a South Bend car with a VIN plate with the text largely in Spanish. At the lower right the only English words are 'Made in USA'. The build sheet says it was shipped to Columbus, OH. I suspect the Hamilton built car Stu posted above was intended for the both the Canadian AND US market, hence the English and Spanish tags.
                      \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

                      51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                      Jim Mann
                      Victoria, B.C.
                      Canada

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I went and looked at my car's plate last night and it's in Spanish too. Never took the time to notice before. The car is Hamilton assembled, and has always been registered in Canada. cheers, Junior
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by junior View Post
                          I went and looked at my car's plate last night and it's in Spanish too. Never took the time to notice before. The car is Hamilton assembled, and has always been registered in Canada. cheers, Junior
                          Interesting. Apparently we attached this unusual plate on a number of 53ish models. I have one former factory supervisor still around that I can talk to and see if he remembers this plate.

                          Stu Chapman

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                            Interesting. Apparently we attached this unusual plate on a number of 53ish models. I have one former factory supervisor still around that I can talk to and see if he remembers this plate.

                            Stu Chapman
                            I checked with Jack Holden, former plant supervisor at the Hamilton plant and he unfortunately has no recollection of this plate being attached to any vehicle since he joined the company in 1957. So it must have been used in the early 50s. Does anyone have any idea what year of car the U.S. version of this plate appeared?

                            Stu Chapman

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Now my interest is raised...perhaps starting a dedicated thread for these plates would better serve all for a longer period of time rather than having it `hidden`in this thread? I can't really read clearly what is written on this car's plate, and it may be actually different than what is written on my car's plate. All I know is my car's plate is not English, nor French, and is either Latin or Latin-based like Spanish. Cheers, Junior
                              sigpic
                              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X