Using my 1950 champ body on a 1951 Champ frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using my 1950 champ body on a 1951 Champ frame

Hello again, I just purchased 2 1951 champ starlights. The 2nd car is more of a parts car. I am toying with the thought of placing my 1950 champ body onto my 1951 champ frame. Can I do this? Can someone advise me on this. Studerich is always talking about the sterring on a 1951 vs. a 1950 champ. I do have a 1950 starlight champ.

The wheelbase is different. The 50 Champion has a 113" wheelbase and the 51 has a 115" wheelbase.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

The wheelbase is different. The 50 Champion has a 113" wheelbase and the 51 has a 115" wheelbase.

Leonard Shepherd
      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I have no experience with it myself. In questions of this nature I would definitely acquiesce to the urgings of Mr. Palma.

This was posted after the following two posts. Only Rod Serling knows how that happens!
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have no experience with it myself. In questions of this nature I would definitely acquiesce to the urgings of Mr. Palma.

This was posted after the following two posts. Only Rod Serling knows how that happens!
          Brad Johnson,
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I believe the shell itself is the same. The wheelbase difference is made up in the front clip; you would have to use front sheetmetal from the '51. You will also find the front suspension from the '51 will be impressively easier to find parts and much easier to upgrade.

As a technical sidenote, though we all know what you're referring to, the Champion model was never referred to as a Champ. Champ was the name of the T-Cab pickup trucks.

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
            Brad Johnson,
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I believe the shell itself is the same. The wheelbase difference is made up in the front clip; you would have to use front sheetmetal from the '51. You will also find the front suspension from the '51 will be impressively easier to find parts and much easier to upgrade.

As a technical sidenote, though we all know what you're referring to, the Champion model was never referred to as a Champ. Champ was the name of the T-Cab pickup trucks.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
              Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Roy: Do not, repeat DO NOT, try to put a 1950 body on a 1951-1952 chassis, or vise-versa. You will discover there are so many differences between them that you will wish you had never entertained the idea. But go ahead and try if you'd like to see for yourself!

(A friend of mine, Howe Clark, bought a gorgeous 1952 Champion Starlight body to begin the rebodying of what had been his father's 1950 Champion Starlight, now rusted in two. He ultimately sold the 1952 Champion at a great loss, considering his acquisition expenses, as its own project after he investigated the two side-by-side.)

Some things just aren't advisable in Studebaker-land, and this is one of them. Forewarned is forearmed. [}] BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Roy: Do not, repeat DO NOT, try to put a 1950 body on a 1951-1952 chassis, or vise-versa. You will discover there are so many differences between them that you will wish you had never entertained the idea. But go ahead and try if you'd like to see for yourself!

(A friend of mine, Howe Clark, bought a gorgeous 1952 Champion Starlight body to begin the rebodying of what had been his father's 1950 Champion Starlight, now rusted in two. He ultimately sold the 1952 Champion at a great loss, considering his acquisition expenses, as its own project after he investigated the two side-by-side.)

Some things just aren't advisable in Studebaker-land, and this is one of them. Forewarned is forearmed. [}] BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks to all who gave advise. I will not change my 1950 Champion frame. Just a note, I ended with 3 complete sets of Starlight rear glass, 1 fully functional 1950 - 1951 antena, and 2 sets of gravel shields. I guess the parts car will end up as a project in the sometime future.

Comment

Thanks to all who gave advise. I will not change my 1950 Champion frame. Just a note, I ended with 3 complete sets of Starlight rear glass, 1 fully functional 1950 - 1951 antena, and 2 sets of gravel shields. I guess the parts car will end up as a project in the sometime future.

Comment

When I was about 20 yrs old I was going to put a Stude V8 in my '50 Champion. '51s came with V8s, so this should be the same thing, right? I soon found out how wrong I was!

Dwain G.
                        D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

When I was about 20 yrs old I was going to put a Stude V8 in my '50 Champion. '51s came with V8s, so this should be the same thing, right? I soon found out how wrong I was!

Dwain G.
                          D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

Working...
                          X