Upholstery for a 50 or 51 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upholstery for a 50 or 51 Commander

Anybody have any of the pinstripe cloth used on the 50 and 51's in nos form??? Looking for the burgundy and cream but may consider another. Anybody with a good match using present day material?

Also: Anybody know what is the tire size and white wall width for a 50 and also a 51 commanders??
    Last edited by nels; 05-16-2014, 05:20 PM.

Comment

6.40X15? I think.

Comment

They used slightly different patterns. I have a little left from my '51 commander. How much are you looking for?
        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by mapman View Post
          They used slightly different patterns. I have a little left from my '51 commander. How much are you looking for?
          Rob
          Well, I have two cars. Front lower on both is pretty bad. I'd like to do front and rear cushions of both. I don't know how much is requires per car. Is yours nos or a good match?

Comment

For what it's worth Nels, my '52 Commander has 7.10x15 tires with a 3.5" whitewall.
            Originally posted by nels View Post
            Also: Anybody know what is the tire size and white wall width for a 50 and also a 51 commanders??
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Well, I have two cars. Front lower on both is pretty bad. I'd like to do front and rear cushions of both. I don't know how much is requires per car. Is yours nos or a good match?
              What I have is NOS but there isn't a lot left of it. Certainly not enough to do a seat. I thought I had read that Rene' Harger had reproduced some of it. I believe he advertises in Turning Wheels.
              Rob

Comment

Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

My 50 Land Cruiser had 7.60 x 15 tires If I remember correctly. I think SMS has the interior fabric. They reproduce many patterns for many different makes. The up side is you may not have to wait a year!
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The 51 Commander has 7.10 tires and the 50 Commander has 7.60. Two totally different cars, different wheels, different tires, different engines, different braking systems.

You could say that the 50 Commander is the last of the old breed and the 51 Commander is the first of the new breed.
                    Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-17-2014, 01:02 PM.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                      My 50 Land Cruiser had 7.60 x 15 tires If I remember correctly. I think SMS has the interior fabric. They reproduce many patterns for many different makes. The up side is you may not have to wait a year!
                      Not sure who SMS is? Where are they located?

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                        The 51 Commander has 7.10 tires and the 50 Commander has 7.60. Two totally different cars, different wheels, different tires, different engines, different braking systems.

You could say that the 50 Commander is the last of the old breed and the 51 Commander is the first of the new breed.
                        I think you are right on those sizes. The 50and51are very different for sure.

Comment

According to Studebaker Passenger Car Specifications (Chart from Lancaster PA International)
                          1950 Commander model 17a tire size 7:60 x15 Sidewall width not mentioned;
                          1951 Commander model H tire size 7:10 x 15 sidewall width not mentioned.
                          sigpic
                          55 President Deluxe
                          64 Commander
                          66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post

Even different front suspension and wheelbase.

Comment

[QUOTE=nels;844779]Not sure who SMS is? Where are they located?[/QUOTE
                              Suppliers of quality classic auto interiors since 1977. The largest inventory of Auto Upholstery Cloth, Vinyl, Headliners, Carpets, Vinyl Tops, & Door Panels.

They are in Oregon
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X