A Stude V8 story I have not heard before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Stude V8 story I have not heard before

Today I was talking with a guy who owns a Hudson street rod and told him I owned a 53 Stude. He said that was the first year Stude offered a V8. They had a 289 but it wasn't by Ford, it was made by Continental. I said "Gee, I have never heard that before" which is true.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Sure, Don, and the 4-bbl & dual exhaust option was known as The Continental Kit. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Oh, Bob.......
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

That's funny I have a 52 with a V8.
        sigpic
        2005 Dodge Magnum
        1952 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Remember those SOB (some other brand) owners are EXPERTS (translated to EX = "has been" and SPERT = "drip under pressure"; hence they know all there is to know about Studebakers.
          When they talk, take notes, because any and all they say can be used against them in court.

Comment

Actually the Stude 289 V8 was introduced in 1956 and the Ford 289 introduced in 1965. Anyway, it becomes obvious that your Hudson friend is wrong and that Ford obviously used the Studebaker 289's in their cars. They had a contract with Studebaker and when Stude folded up in 1966 Ford had to start making their own engine, the 302 I think it was. Of course they just copied the old Stude 289 design but just bored it out some to make it lighter.

Comment

Sounds good to me.
              Originally posted by nels View Post
              Actually the Stude 289 V8 was introduced in 1956 and the Ford 289 introduced in 1965. Anyway, it becomes obvious that your Hudson friend is wrong and that Ford obviously used the Studebaker 289's in their cars. They had a contract with Studebaker and when Stude folded up in 1966 Ford had to start making their own engine, the 302 I think it was. Of course they just copied the old Stude 289 design but just bored it out some to make it lighter.
              Lou Van Anne
              62 Champ
              64 R2 GT Hawk
              79 Avanti II

Comment

Yeah, they were actually tryin' for 304, but missed it by just a couple inches.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

And BTW... Must've been some bargains to be had as Stude closed down their foundry. AMC swooped in and bought Stude's 232 in '64. Course, they took the individual cubes and re-arranged them to suit their narrow engine bays.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                    Yeah, they were actually tryin' for 304, but missed it by just a couple inches.
                    Yeah, you must be right, never thought of that. I guess that must be the one AMC bought from Stude.
                    Last edited by nels; 05-15-2014, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Yeah, you must be right, never thought of that. I guess that must be the one AMC bought from Stude.
                      Geeze - ain't it grand how history all falls in place!

Comment

I'm just curious where these misconceptions get their start in the first place. Do people just make this stuff up to make themselves sound smart?
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The Studebaker wagons were fitted with V8s in the late 1800s, but they were too powerful for the wheels. The spokes changed holes in the wheels when the driver said "Giddyup!".
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Thanks Dave Warren, I haven't laughed so much for ages! Excellent response - is it still April?

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                              The Studebaker wagons were fitted with V8s in the late 1800s, but they were too powerful for the wheels. The spokes changed holes in the wheels when the driver said "Giddyup!".
                              Now that's funny!!

Comment

Working...
                              X