Stude engines powering other cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude engines powering other cars

After seeing the opposite thread I thought it might be interesting to have a look at the other side of the coin. I realize not many swaps of Stude engines into a brand X have happened but was wondering how many have seen it done and how many have such a dream if money was not the object. I know most guys that read this have never gone through the punishment while growing up that some of us have simply because they drove a "Stupidbaker" or what ever else they were wrongfully called.
    Anyway, I remember two vehicles in South Bend, one was a 1930 or so Ford pickup with a Stude V8. That guy was selling nos Stude crankshafts for Hoerwick (sp) Scrap Iron during a national meet in the early seventies. Another one was a vendor who lived over in Niles, Mi. He used to vend at all the SB shows. His driver was a later model Chev pickup with a Stude V8.
    Now my dream has been to put an R2 in a '63 Split Window Coupe. Mind you now, I wouldn't consider ruining a nice museum quality car but would pick on a candidate that had the wrong engine and no particular heritage.
    Anybody else had such terrible and sinful thoughts?

Boy Howdy! Did I ever! About a decade ago there was a Mercedes 450SL for sale locally. $5K was the asking price and LOTS of cosmetic refurbishment had been lavished on it. I wanted SO BAD to bring that thing home and slide a 289 3spdOD in it.

I've seen a Willys wagon so converted (in the 70s) and there was a thread years ago featuring a late 20s - early 30s Dodge with a Stude V8 in it.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

A Stude v8 into a Willys wagon was a common swap back in the day. My neighbor in Tacoma had one in '64. I do lust after one.

Plenty of Stude V8s in hot rods even today...

Attached Files
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

There is a 1950 Ford pickup on Akron/Canton (Ohio)Craigslist now with a Stude V-8.Looks pretty nice.

Comment

Guys,
          When I was 15 years old I bought a 41 Ford Hot Rod P.U. w/ a '57 Desoto Hemi. But I had no skills or resources and it never ran. So my Father cut it up and hauled it to the dump. It was my first and always haunted me. Fast forward nearly 50 years to last Fall. Facing my first full winter as a Retiree. I found a "roller" for sale, similar to my first, and as if there was not enough on my plate, dragged it home. This one would have to have a Stude V8 for sure. I soon found a 259 for sale and grabbed it also. With some work, the two are now one. The winter was brutal, so much did not get done but I hope to have it drivable before Summer ends.
          41 Ford with Stude 259.JPG
          sigpic
          Lanny & Barb Bertram
          '63 Lark Custom R2 4spd
          Indy Chapter SDC since 2000
          Weaverville, NC

Comment

That would be funny and actually more practical than redoing the original engine. I once put a Ford 302 with a C4 in a Mercedes. Had to use an engine with a front sump pan and even then it was not easy. I had to route the left exhaust manifold upside down with the exhaust out the top due to interference problems with the steering box. It was fun having the local Mercedes mechanic at the Sunoco station check my oil.

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
            Boy Howdy! Did I ever! About a decade ago there was a Mercedes 450SL for sale locally. $5K was the asking price and LOTS of cosmetic refurbishment had been lavished on it. I wanted SO BAD to bring that thing home and slide a 289 3spdOD in it.

I've seen a Willys wagon so converted (in the 70s) and there was a thread years ago featuring a late 20s - early 30s Dodge with a Stude V8 in it.

Comment

hi Lanny,
              I thought I recognized that Champ convertible.

QUOTE=Lanny Bertram;843961]Guys,
              When I was 15 years old I bought a 41 Ford Hot Rod P.U. w/ a '57 Desoto Hemi. But I had no skills or resources and it never ran. So my Father cut it up and hauled it to the dump. It was my first and always haunted me. Fast forward nearly 50 years to last Fall. Facing my first full winter as a Retiree. I found a "roller" for sale, similar to my first, and as if there was not enough on my plate, dragged it home. This one would have to have a Stude V8 for sure. I soon found a 259 for sale and grabbed it also. With some work, the two are now one. The winter was brutal, so much did not get done but I hope to have it drivable before Summer ends.
              41 Ford with Stude 259.JPG[/QUOTE]

Comment

Hi Nels!
                She's still a Beauty, is'nt she!
                sigpic
                Lanny & Barb Bertram
                '63 Lark Custom R2 4spd
                Weaverville, NC

Comment

Back in 1959 I put a 232 Stude V8 in a 41 Ford Business Coupe.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                    Back in 1959 I put a 232 Stude V8 in a 41 Ford Business Coupe.
                    I bet that was no easy task. The ford had the torque tube and enclosed drive shaft. Was there a kit available at that time?

Comment

My favorite is Tim Branch's "El Dorado" roadster. I think it was in the same 2009 GNRS as the "Kart Hauler."

Those '53-55 wheelcovers look great on everything. Best wheelcover ever.
                      Andy
                      62 GT

Comment

I mentioned the 32 Ford coupe in the other thread. There was a Willys Wagon around here for awhile with an overhead Stude six in it.I remember seeing a mid 80s Dodge 4x4 at the IM in Austin in 1998 with a Stude V8.

I read that Bill Frick put the 232 V8s removed from Studillacs into a british sports car. Maybe an Allard?
                        Neil Thornton

Comment

Lanny,
                          I didn't know you had the '41 Ford. Some day I need to come up from Brown County and see it.
                          Richard
                          The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

For sure Richard..............Come on any time!
                            sigpic
                            Lanny & Barb Bertram
                            '63 Lark Custom R2 4spd
                            Weaverville, NC

Comment

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
                              My favorite is Tim Branch's "El Dorado" roadster. I think it was in the same 2009 GNRS as the "Kart Hauler."

Those '53-55 wheelcovers look great on everything. Best wheelcover ever.
                              Pictured wheel covers are 1954-5, not '53. No tristar. And I agree that both are near impossible to beat. I have pictured ones on my on-ground wheels and a '53 on our continental spare.
                              Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom and '63 Avanti in Yuma, AZ
                              Pictures at https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection and https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/always-ahead

Comment

Working...
                              X