Question on 55 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on 55 coupe

So I have a chance to purchase a 1955 coupe for about $3500. The body is all there, along with the frame. It has no engine, transmission, nor a complete dash.

There is some rust damage on the body and while the seats are there, they are not mounted and need replacing.

My question, is $3500 too much for this car? As it needs everything are there places to purchase the parts? I am assuming I would need to put like a Chevy small block in there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Mechanical parts abound - sheet metal and trim, not so much. SOME replacement panes/sections are available $3500 sounds steep for an engineless car.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My advice is buy the most complete car you can for the money. Personally way too much for what you describe. Should be able to find a driver for that price.
      We love pictures that would help but $3500 for what you describe is about 2000. too much.
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

What Anne said. My 55 was $2000, complete but not running. It needed everything. Everything was readily available...for a price. After $50,000 it appraised in at $30,000. Buy the best, most complete car you can afford. It will be much cheaper in the long run.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Sounds like a thousand dollar car to me. And that's only if the rust isn't too bad and the only parts missing are the engine and some dash parts.
          It'll be your car. Put any kind of engine in it you want.
          This yellow car, with a bad engine, I bought last fall. The only thing it was missing was the two door panels. I paid a whole lot less than 3500 for sure.

Originally posted by mbraden66 View Post
          So I have a chance to purchase a 1955 coupe for about $3500. The body is all there, along with the frame. It has no engine, transmission, nor a complete dash.

There is some rust damage on the body and while the seats are there, they are not mounted and need replacing.

My question, is $3500 too much for this car? As it needs everything are there places to purchase the parts? I am assuming I would need to put like a Chevy small block in there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Pics

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
            What Anne said. My 55 was $2000, complete but not running. It needed everything. Everything was readily available...for a price. After $50,000 it appraised in at $30,000. Buy the best, most complete car you can afford. It will be much cheaper in the long run.
            I will add some pics when I get home. I took a few yesterday.

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum! It is smart to ask first.
              A direct answer to your question - YES, that is way too much for the car described.
              I would figure $1000 tops if it is all there and $500 tops if it needs the front grille/parking lights chrome.
              A replacement Studebaker drivetrain is the least of your worries and costs.
              I just see US for your location. Where are you?
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I am in Vancouver Washington.

Here are some pics

photo 5 (3).JPGphoto 4 (6).JPGphoto 3 (6).JPGphoto 1 (10).JPGphoto 2 (8).JPGphoto 5 (2).JPGphoto 4 (5).JPGphoto 3 (5).JPGphoto 2 (7).JPGphoto 1 (9).JPG

Comment

There's way too much to do to put that car on the road. Pass on it and find a keeper.
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Look around some more, that one's not for you. It's an incomplete parts car at best.
                    Look in the Turning Wheels classifieds for starters.
                    Maybe try the Studebaker Swap page at studebakerswap.com
                    sigpic
                    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Have to agree, way too much money for a parts car.
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum.

Finding buying and plating a Grille and Parking Light assemblies will be close to $2000.00, not something you need after spending $3500.00 for that piece.

Have you searched various pictures of different years of Studes. to find out which Model and Year you like?
                        What is your list of preferred ones?

Better Studes. show up a lot by private parties in the Seattle area and up here on eBay and SDC Chapter Newsletters, I think we have 5 or 6 Chapters in Wash.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Mike.

Finding buying and plating a Grille and Parking Light assemblies will be close to $2000.00, not something you need after spending $3500.00 for that piece.

Have you searched various pictures of different years of Studes. to find out which Model and Year you like?
                          What is your list of preferred ones?

Better Studes. show up a lot by private parties in the Seattle area and up here on eBay and SDC Chapter Newsletters, I think we have 5 or 6 Chapters in Wash.

There are lots of 259 and 289 "bulletproof" OHV V8 Engines available from SDC Members up here, that would be the least of your worries.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'm pretty sure this car was discussed on the forum a few months back...anybody recall what was said? The Jag wheels are what's triggering my memory. Did it have xj40 suspension too, or was that a car that Bob in CA had? Would argree, waaaaay too many $ for what's presented in the photos. cheers, junior.
                            sigpic
                            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

More here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=xj40

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X