Thanks
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

64 and maybe 65 the clips that hold them on are missing.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]34877[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]34878[/ATTACH] What keeps them on the car 15"
      Thanks
      The clips Bob are talking about in Post 2 attach to the rim by tapping them over the edge of the rim between the tire bead and the rim. I think the original Studebaker set came with four clips per cover. When I was trying to attach a set that I bought from Bob (without clips), I could only come up with a few original clips. I found out that early Thunderbirds used the same cover so I was able to get reproduction clips from a T-Bird vendor. First and second pictures show both a Studebaker clip and a Ford clip (front and back). The other pictures show the installation.
      They cover the entire rim with no valve stem holes so you have to use short valve stems. You have to pull out on the cover to check inflation (not particularly easy).

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

They are a real pain in the a** to put on but look great.Click image for larger version

Name:	Jay Avanti 000 Best Glam Shot.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	1689007
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thank You one of our Members found two of them in a warehouse downtown. He asked me about them but I didn't know.
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

Anyone have a picture of a Lark with these caps?
            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Ford came out with an accessory wire wheel cover like this in 1960, two sizes were available, 14 & 15 inch. These covers, however...did not come with the 'knock-off' spinner.

No Thunderbird of any year came w/a wire wheel cover like this.

1962 was the first year for wire wheels, came with the "knock off" center hubcap. These wheels were found on 1962/63 Sports Roadsters, available as an option on others.
              Last edited by WinM1895; 05-14-2014, 09:34 AM.

Comment

if they are anything like 57 olds caps that mount about the same way all you have to do is hit a bump or go around a corner and say goodby to your caps
                mervyn mundorf
                63 avanti r2 4speed
                83 avanti 20th ann
                64 gt hawk r1 4speed
                and others

Comment

Interesting Thread, I've got 4 of these in my barn and never knew what Studebaker they came on. I know they are not the same as on my Speedster.

Does anyone have a Studeaker Part Number. I've no use for them and might as well send them down the road to someone who needs them.

Murray
                  Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Originally posted by stall View Post
                    Interesting Thread, I've got 4 of these in my barn and never knew what Studebaker they came on. I know they are not the same as on my Speedster.

Does anyone have a Studeaker Part Number. I've no use for them and might as well send them down the road to someone who needs them.

Murray
                    They are listed as AC 3521. Strangely enough they are not listed in the '59-'64 Chassis Parts Book, but are listed in the '63-64 Avanti Parts Book. And they are listed in the '65-'66 Parts Book, but only for '65. So, I guess technically they are correct on '64 Avantis and '65 Studebakers, but not on '64 or '66 Studebakers.
                    The big problem in using them is finding the correct clips. At one time they were available from Dennis at SASCO, but no one in SI seems to know anything about them. The Ford clips I found are no where near as good as the original Studebaker ones and I believe Studebaker called for four of them on each wheel while six Ford clips are needed on each wheel. There are quite a few of the covers out there, but none or very few with the clips. I have owned four sets, one NOS set I got in a dealer auction- ended up selling them to JDP because I couldn't figure out how to mount them, a second set I bought from Bob Peterson, also no clips. That's where I got some from Chuck Naugle and the rest from a T-Bird vendor. I sold them on the Avanti pictured in my earlier post. Third set I got from a Forum member and still have them- used, but decent and no clips. The last set I got from Matthew Burnett when he was selling off Tom's stuff. I still have them and they do have the correct original clips.
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                      They are listed as AC 3521. Strangely enough they are not listed in the '59-'64 Chassis Parts Book, but are listed in the '63-64 Avanti Parts Book. And they are listed in the '65-'66 Parts Book, but only for '65. So, I guess technically they are correct on '64 Avantis and '65 Studebakers, but not on '64 or '66 Studebakers.
                      The big problem in using them is finding the correct clips. At one time they were available from Dennis at SASCO, but no one in SI seems to know anything about them. The Ford clips I found are no where near as good as the original Studebaker ones and I believe Studebaker called for four of them on each wheel while six Ford clips are needed on each wheel. There are quite a few of the covers out there, but none or very few with the clips. I have owned four sets, one NOS set I got in a dealer auction- ended up selling them to JDP because I couldn't figure out how to mount them, a second set I bought from Bob Peterson, also no clips. That's where I got some from Chuck Naugle and the rest from a T-Bird vendor. I sold them on the Avanti pictured in my earlier post. Third set I got from a Forum member and still have them- used, but decent and no clips. The last set I got from Matthew Burnett when he was selling off Tom's stuff. I still have them and they do have the correct original clips.
                      Thanks Paul, great information, I appreciate it. BTW, I see you live in Harpers Ferry. Our local car club (AACA) runs two tours every summer and lasy year we toured Virginia and spent a very nice day in Harpers Ferry WV, It's the kind of place where the History just washes over you.
                      Murray
                      Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

These caps were introduced in Oct 1963 for installation on the 1964 model year cars. They retailed for $68 on all models except the Hawk and $63 for the GT Hawk. Information on these caps was included in a Oct 28, 1963 Sales Department Letter that also included information on the optional R4 engines, exhaust headers, the competition clutch, rear seat foam cushion and recliners on the cars equipped with the Super Performance Package. If any one needs it I have this 2 page bulletin plus the original Studebaker illustrated installation instructions for the wire spoke wheel discs.
                        Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 05-15-2014, 04:56 PM.
                        Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

1955/56 Ford simulated wire wheel cover clip

Available from Mac's Antique Auto Parts, located in Lockport NY (800-828-1051).

Part number: 66-26923-1 @ $4.95 each

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                            These caps were introduced in Oct 1963 for installation on the 1964 model year cars. They retailed for $68 on all models except the Hawk and $63 for the GT Hawk. Information on these caps was included in a Oct 28, 1963 Sales Department Letter that also included information on the optional R4 engines, exhaust headers, the competition clutch, rear seat foam cushion and recliners on the cars equipped with the Super Performance Package. If any one needs it I have this 2 page bulletin plus the original Studebaker illustrated installation instructions for the wire spoke wheel discs.
                            WHOA - Dick I would like to see this sales letter! R4s, exhaust headers, competition clutches and different recliners for "Super" cars? Wow! Where the cars going so fast the reclining seats were breaking?
                            Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                            \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

My 64 buick spinners have fallen off many times. Sometimes they roll a good distance, I remember one almost hitting a pedestrian on the sidewalk. VERY embarrassing!

Comment

Working...
                              X