SHESA65

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHESA65

While looking through some snapshots for Craig P., I happened upon a couple of Dave Gahlbeck's '65 Cruiser, Sweet Pea, from when Dave was "visiting" the East Coast. He was based in Florida at the time and would come up to Georgia occasionally and make one of our chapter meetings. I still remember the first time I ever met Dave. We were having a little local show, back in March of 2000. I had just turned 10 years old, and was the proud owner of a '63 Daytona HT. I was standing there next to the Studes with my grandad, when I looked out and saw a '65 4 door coming our way; a car that I didn't 'know' as being in our local chapter! "Hey Papa, look at that '65!" And the saga continues...

Now, how in the world does a 10 year old kid know what a Studebaker is, and know that it's a '65 model!?! [)]

Just had to share with everyone, and thought Dave might get a kick out of it. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

quote:Originally posted by mbstude
    Now, how in the world does a 10 year old kid know what a Studebaker is, and know that it's a '65 model!?! [)]
    My guess is that the Georgia schools do a pretty good job teaching, so at 10 years old you were able to read the front license plate.......<G>

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude
      My guess is that the Georgia schools do a pretty good job teaching, so at 10 years old you were able to read the front license plate.......<G>

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Haha! Good one Paul! Though if I remember right, I just recognized the grille as being the same as that '65 Daytona that's been at the shop forever.

Here's another. This is from March, 2000.
        Head on shot of my '63 HT (with its Fire Cheif 'costume'). To the left is Dave's '65, with Dave digging for something in the back seat. To the right of my car is my grandma's '63 GT Hawk, and in the background is a local chapter member's '51 Business coupe, a Ford Crown Vic that belonged to a chapter member, and if you look through the windwhield of my Lark, you can see part of a '50 Champ 4 door. Oh, and if you look real close, you can see an orange Stude pickup. The truck had a trailer attached, and hauled my non-running Lark to the show. [:I]

And the orange truck. Not really sure which of my uncle's owned it then. (Not a fan of the wide whites. [xx(])
        In the background, you can see my grandad's almost-new Dodge truck. That Dodge and this very trailer is what we used to get the Orange truck to South Bend. [^]

Matthew Burnette
        '59 Scotsman
        '63 Daytona
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Haha! Good one Paul! Though if I remember right, I just recognized the grille as being the same as that '65 Daytona that's been at the shop forever.

Here's another. This is from March, 2000.
          Head on shot of my '63 HT (with its Fire Cheif 'costume'). To the left is Dave's '65, with Dave digging for something in the back seat. To the right of my car is my grandma's '63 GT Hawk, and in the background is a local chapter member's '51 Business coupe, a Ford Crown Vic that belonged to a chapter member, and if you look through the windwhield of my Lark, you can see part of a '50 Champ 4 door. Oh, and if you look real close, you can see an orange Stude pickup. The truck had a trailer attached, and hauled my non-running Lark to the show. [:I]

And the orange truck. Not really sure which of my uncle's owned it then. (Not a fan of the wide whites. [xx(])
          In the background, you can see my grandad's almost-new Dodge truck. That Dodge and this very trailer is what we used to get the Orange truck to South Bend. [^]

Matthew Burnette
          '59 Scotsman
          '63 Daytona
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Gee Matthew, when I was 10 years old I was still trying to figure out what was going on with the 55 Studebaker windshields. Our dealer had both the wrap around and the flat windshield cars at the same time. I made a drawing in my scrapbook of how they were grouped. Since there were some Champions with both windshields, I was very confused. I wish I could find the scrapbook.

Leonard Shepherd
            http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Gee Matthew, when I was 10 years old I was still trying to figure out what was going on with the 55 Studebaker windshields. Our dealer had both the wrap around and the flat windshield cars at the same time. I made a drawing in my scrapbook of how they were grouped. Since there were some Champions with both windshields, I was very confused. I wish I could find the scrapbook.

Leonard Shepherd
              http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Those were the days~ Thanks for the memories, Matt!!!

I'm having a hard time remembering where that first one was taken, though...

StudeDave [8D]
                V/P San Diego County SDC
                San Diego, Ca

http://www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                '57 Parkview (she's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Those were the days~ Thanks for the memories, Matt!!!

I'm having a hard time remembering where that first one was taken, though...

StudeDave [8D]
                  V/P San Diego County SDC
                  San Diego, Ca

http://www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                  '57 Parkview (she's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                  '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                  '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                  '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                  '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

It was taken at a chapter meeting (of course), but I can't recall which one or where...

Matthew Burnette
                    '59 Scotsman
                    '63 Daytona
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

It was taken at a chapter meeting (of course), but I can't recall which one or where...

Matthew Burnette
                      '59 Scotsman
                      '63 Daytona
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                      X