It's alive !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's alive !

Fired the R2 project today and she fired right up. Jeff and me looked it over, tightened a couple of weeping fitting and ran it for maybe half hour total. Zero surprises, wheels go round and round on jack stands, life is good. BTW, I included a pic of me so some of you can put a face to the name in case we meet up in person. For those that know me, you may notice I lost something like 60 pound dieting. (The yellow valve covers are on while waiting for the plater)

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    63 Lark 2 door
    58 Packard HT
    56 Golden Hawk
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Cool deal, JP! What a nice car. [^] (Well, we knew THAT already, didn't we? )

No fair, I want something with a supercharger! [}]

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Cool deal, JP! What a nice car. [^] (Well, we knew THAT already, didn't we? )

No fair, I want something with a supercharger! [}]

Matthew Burnette
      '59 Scotsman
      '63 Daytona
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Congrats, JDP. Of course, none who know you had any doubt your engine would fire on the first effort and run smoothly.

Also, good you gave us warning of the personal makeover. Add a clean t-shirt, an expensive haircut, and you now look like a guy who could afford to spend $60k on a GT restoration

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

Congrats, JDP. Of course, none who know you had any doubt your engine would fire on the first effort and run smoothly.

Also, good you gave us warning of the personal makeover. Add a clean t-shirt, an expensive haircut, and you now look like a guy who could afford to spend $60k on a GT restoration

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Congrats, JP! Always a great day when you start them for the first time...no matter how many you have done before. []

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Congrats, JP! Always a great day when you start them for the first time...no matter how many you have done before. []

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, as you probably know, it's a mixture of anticipation and raw fear. When you put together that many parts, no matter how many time you double check, you still fear some bad news. Other then a quarter turn on a couple of fitting, it was pretty boring I found out the guy had the wires swapped on the ammeter so it showed a charge with the lights on, and a discharge running, so I fixed that. All the gages are working except the tach even the clock. (I suspect a wiring error on the tach) I'll toss a used bucket seat in her, put it on the ground and take a spin in a few days. Then I'll have to work on something else until the chrome comes back.
                Any inda if any of the vendors sell a seal for the accelerator pump or how to make one ? The supercharger forces gas out around the plunger on the restored carb.

JDP/Maryland
                64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                63 Lark 2 door
                58 Packard HT
                56 Golden Hawk
                52 Starliner
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Dick, as you probably know, it's a mixture of anticipation and raw fear. When you put together that many parts, no matter how many time you double check, you still fear some bad news. Other then a quarter turn on a couple of fitting, it was pretty boring I found out the guy had the wires swapped on the ammeter so it showed a charge with the lights on, and a discharge running, so I fixed that. All the gages are working except the tach even the clock. (I suspect a wiring error on the tach) I'll toss a used bucket seat in her, put it on the ground and take a spin in a few days. Then I'll have to work on something else until the chrome comes back.
                  Any inda if any of the vendors sell a seal for the accelerator pump or how to make one ? The supercharger forces gas out around the plunger on the restored carb.

JDP/Maryland
                  64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  58 Packard HT
                  56 Golden Hawk
                  52 Starliner
                  51 Commander
                  39 Coupe express
                  39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I think you can get the seal from edelbrock, they are used on Marine carbs. I had one come in a repair kit!

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
                    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    58 Packard HT
                    56 Golden Hawk
                    52 Starliner
                    51 Commander
                    39 Coupe express
                    39 Coupe express (rod)

Comment

I think you can get the seal from edelbrock, they are used on Marine carbs. I had one come in a repair kit!

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
                      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      58 Packard HT
                      56 Golden Hawk
                      52 Starliner
                      51 Commander
                      39 Coupe express
                      39 Coupe express (rod)

Comment

Edelbrock# 1471 includes seal and pump.

Comment

Edelbrock# 1471 includes seal and pump.

Comment

Congratulations JP! (not only on the successful rebuild, but also for the 60 lb weight loss!)

FAK

Comment

Congratulations JP! (not only on the successful rebuild, but also for the 60 lb weight loss!)

FAK

Comment

Working...
                              X