Stude Woodie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude Woodie?

I was just watching CAR CRAZY in speed channel.Todays show was about woodie wagons.Did Studebaker make woodie wagons?

David Baggett '53 coupe

quote:Originally posted by stude freak

I was just watching CAR CRAZY in speed channel.Todays show was about woodie wagons.Did Studebaker make woodie wagons?
    David Baggett '53 coupe
    Well yes, sort of! Check June 1997 Turning Wheels for pics. & story.

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

David Baggett '53 coupe
      Well yes, sort of! Check June 1997 Turning Wheels for pics. & story.

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

Studebaker used to sell a chassis that had the front end and cowl, and a pair of rear fenders ('37,'38,'39 J5 Coupe Express, M series, and Ccab for example). Then companies like Cantrell would put the wood body on. They called them depot hacks, station wagons, etc.
        Here are some interesting pic's courtesy of Stude people all over..

(And of course, who could forget Dave's (Studedude) kid's band phantom!)

Deep-N-Hock Acres
        Brooklet, Georgia
        DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
        '37 Coupe Express
        '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
        '61 Hawk (project: Ist Gen Owner - project)
        Mysterious Project Z
        http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Studebaker used to sell a chassis that had the front end and cowl, and a pair of rear fenders ('37,'38,'39 J5 Coupe Express, M series, and Ccab for example). Then companies like Cantrell would put the wood body on. They called them depot hacks, station wagons, etc.
          Here are some interesting pic's courtesy of Stude people all over..

(And of course, who could forget Dave's (Studedude) kid's band phantom!)

Deep-N-Hock Acres
          Brooklet, Georgia
          DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
          '37 Coupe Express
          '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
          '61 Hawk (project: Ist Gen Owner - project)
          Mysterious Project Z
          http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

There was also a 47 car woody prototype that was found in the woods where Studebaker cast off its prototypes. I think this car is being restored, but I haven't heard about it lately. Here is a picture from the July-August 1971 issue of Special Interest Autos.

Leonard Shepherd
            http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

There was also a 47 car woody prototype that was found in the woods where Studebaker cast off its prototypes. I think this car is being restored, but I haven't heard about it lately. Here is a picture from the July-August 1971 issue of Special Interest Autos.

Leonard Shepherd
              http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

quote:There was also a 47 car woody prototype that was found in the woods where Studebaker cast off its prototypes. I think this car is being restored, but I haven't heard about it lately.
                Studebaker National Museum is completing the restoration of this woodie. Anyone wishing to contribute should contact the Museum.

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

quote:There was also a 47 car woody prototype that was found in the woods where Studebaker cast off its prototypes. I think this car is being restored, but I haven't heard about it lately.
                  Studebaker National Museum is completing the restoration of this woodie. Anyone wishing to contribute should contact the Museum.

Brad Johnson
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I don't believe that the odometer reading of 11,707 on the '47 woody necessarily meant that "it was test driven." The chassis may have had about that mileage when Studebaker mounted the body on it. Only the body, without chassis, was discovered in the Proving Ground graveyard.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I don't believe that the odometer reading of 11,707 on the '47 woody necessarily meant that "it was test driven." The chassis may have had about that mileage when Studebaker mounted the body on it. Only the body, without chassis, was discovered in the Proving Ground graveyard.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

According to Richard Quinn's article on Studebaker Woody Wagons, page 16 in the Jan/Feb 2007 Antique Studebaker Review clearly states it was driven extensively by various members of the Studebaker engineering staff. After racking up more than 70,000 miles it was taken out to the Proving Ground, the body removed from the frame and uncerimoniously deposited in the infield of the track.

Since that particular car was a true prototype, and for all intents and puposes, a wagon was proposed in the 1947 or '48 line, it is reasonable to accept that mileage as correct up to that date. You can bet they'd be 'hard' miles; compressing several thousand miles into 'normal' driving simulation.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

According to Richard Quinn's article on Studebaker Woody Wagons, page 16 in the Jan/Feb 2007 Antique Studebaker Review clearly states it was driven extensively by various members of the Studebaker engineering staff. After racking up more than 70,000 miles it was taken out to the Proving Ground, the body removed from the frame and uncerimoniously deposited in the infield of the track.

Since that particular car was a true prototype, and for all intents and puposes, a wagon was proposed in the 1947 or '48 line, it is reasonable to accept that mileage as correct up to that date. You can bet they'd be 'hard' miles; compressing several thousand miles into 'normal' driving simulation.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Guys.I knew i could depend on you .Now i got a hankering for a different kind of stude.Will this maddness ever end?

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

Thanks Guys.I knew i could depend on you .Now i got a hankering for a different kind of stude.Will this maddness ever end?

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X