Happy Birthday Dear Daytona Wagonaire, Happy Birthday to You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday Dear Daytona Wagonaire, Happy Birthday to You

50 years ago yesterday I got off the bus in front of the Hamilton Studebaker plant, went in, got a tour then drove off in our new Daytona Wagonaire. The date of final assembly was 4/28/64 so I guess this may be a belated birthday.
    I made it as far as Windsor, Ontario where I had to spend the night waiting for Customs to open in the morning. After finally clearing Customs I started off westbound through Detroit where I got my new car "greeting". A big clod of dirt rolled off the back of a low boy truck in front of me, bounced and got me in the windshield- * right in the middle of the windshield. It never got any worse and it's still there.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Way cool Paul, that is real History there!
    That was one well LOADED Wagonaire most everything I would want except a 289 Engine and the Reclining Seats that Canada could not provide if I remember correctly.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Way cool Paul, that is real History there!
      That was one well LOADED Wagonaire most everything I would want except a 289 Engine and the Reclining Seats that Canada could not provide if I remember correctly.
      I had originally ordered it from South Bend with a 289 and reclining bucket seats (along with all tint glass, air conditioning, right headrest and Hill Holder), but they cancelled that order and Studebaker tried to get me to take a car from South Bend inventory that was remarkably close to what I ordered with two exceptions. It had a black interior and the third seat. I would have accepted the third seat, but couldn't hack the black interior. I have always wondered what happened to that car. From Canada overdrive wasn't offered with the 289 and the other options weren't available either so I had the a/c, headrest and Hill Holder dealer installed. I ended up getting a set of Sears window screens to help cut the greenhouse effect with the clear glass. I took out the ones for the door windows as they rattled and the one for the tailgate glass as it was kind of a nuisance. I still have the rear side window panels in it.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 53k; 05-06-2014, 12:21 PM.
      sigpic
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
      X