Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Have A Spare Driveshaft?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone Have A Spare Driveshaft?

    I need a driveshaft for my 1957 Packard wagon. 1957 Studebaker wagon is the same. It's a two piece shaft with a center support bearing. Front shaft is roughly 22 inches and rear shaft is 39 inches. S/P part number for front shaft is 1541749, support number is 532009, rear shaft is 1541597. Any good used shafts are fine, will be replacing universal joints anyway. Any leads will be appreciated!
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

    "There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

  • #2
    I was at Roy Hastings' place recently. He had several driveshafts stored away. Not sure what they fit. Contact Bob Edwards @ www.studebakernef.com
    Neil Thornton

    Comment


    • #3
      i have a complete 2 piece from a 50 champion 2dr sedan. i'll measure it tomorrow, unless someone here can tell us if it'll work............

      Comment


      • #4
        Not to hi-jack the thread, but I'm also looking for one for my 4-Speed Daytona...
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

        1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 50pete View Post
          i have a complete 2 piece from a 50 champion 2dr sedan. i'll measure it tomorrow, unless someone here can tell us if it'll work............
          Thanks for trying to help, but there is no chance the Diameter of a Champion Six shaft would be large, thick and strong enough to handle a 289 Supercharged V8, and I am pretty sure the wheelbase is too short.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm pretty sure I have one on a '57 wagon. It had a 3-spd manual OD on a 259 V8. Don't know the condition as the car sat in a field for many years. Everything else though has proved to be pretty good from this wagon. So, I'll look when I get back to Fawn Lodge if you like.
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Swifster View Post
              Not to hi-jack the thread, but I'm also looking for one for my 4-Speed Daytona...
              There was decent one on of the lark wagons I checked out, not sure if the lengths are ghe same though.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                I'm pretty sure I have one on a '57 wagon. It had a 3-spd manual OD on a 259 V8. Don't know the condition as the car sat in a field for many years. Everything else though has proved to be pretty good from this wagon. So, I'll look when I get back to Fawn Lodge if you like.
                That would be great, thanks!
                Bill
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

                "There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

                Comment


                • #9
                  For '57 sedans/wagons the V8 rear shafts are basically the same until you get into Y bodied cars.
                  The front shaft lengths get goofy because of the different transmissions.
                  The best bet is to check the book really close and compare for yourself.
                  You might be surprised at the commonality between Champions, Commanders, Presidents and Packards.

                  Bill- if your Packard is a stick- Roy's option should be a match. I'd double check the book to be certain.
                  I'd also be sure that it gets marked when it's pulled so the reinstallation is 'clocked' properly.
                  Ask me who I know about this...



                  Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                  I was at Roy Hastings' place recently. He had several driveshafts stored away.
                  Neil, please tell me that does not mean what I think it means.




                  StudeDave '57
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

                  3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

                  past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

                  past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well Dave, when you come north next, perhaps you can show me what is meant by "Clocked". I'll wait on removing the shaft for your arrival.
                    Last edited by studeclunker; 04-21-2014, 11:27 AM. Reason: remove sig. line
                    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                      Not to hi-jack the thread, but I'm also looking for one for my 4-Speed Daytona...
                      I have one. I am a long way from you though. Let me know if I can help
                      1962 Champ

                      51 Commander 4 door

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                        For '57 sedans/wagons the V8 rear shafts are basically the same until you get into Y bodied cars.
                        The front shaft lengths get goofy because of the different transmissions.
                        The best bet is to check the book really close and compare for yourself.
                        You might be surprised at the commonality between Champions, Commanders, Presidents and Packards.

                        Bill- if your Packard is a stick- Roy's option should be a match. I'd double check the book to be certain.
                        I'd also be sure that it gets marked when it's pulled so the reinstallation is 'clocked' properly.
                        Ask me who I know about this...




                        Neil, please tell me that does not mean what I think it means.




                        StudeDave '57
                        Dave,I don't know if you know about Roy's condition but the prognosis is not good. Send me a PM and I'll fill you in. I don't want to put it all here.
                        Neil Thornton

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have one from a '53 Commander C/K automatic; two piece.
                          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

                          Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                            Well Dave, when you come north next, perhaps you can show me what is meant by "Clocked".
                            I'll wait on removing the shaft for your arrival.
                            Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                            Dave, I don't know if you know about Roy's condition but the prognosis is not good.
                            Send me a PM and I'll fill you in. I don't want to put it all here.
                            Ron, Neil- look for a PM in the coming days...



                            StudeDave '57
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

                            3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                            SDC Member since 1985

                            past President
                            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

                            past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC
                            North Florida Chapter SDC

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Sorry what I have is 36" front 33" rear

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X