This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim ID - Truck spare tire mount

I found this piece of stainless trim today at the shop. Anyone guess what it's from? Is it even Stude stuff?

BTW, anyone got a spare tire mount for this truck? It goes inside the bed, against the cab. (Holes can be seen in the 1st pic)

IF that piece of trim is Studebaker it's gotta be prewar. (WWII Matt)

As to your spare mount, that wouldn't be stock. It belongs under the rear of the bed, slung from the two frame rails. BTW, I've GOT the clamp that holds the spare up, if you're interested. You'd have to come up with the two long studs that hold it tight against the tire. Some 1/2" allthread would do fine.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

IF that piece of trim is Studebaker it's gotta be prewar. (WWII Matt)

As to your spare mount, that wouldn't be stock. It belongs under the rear of the bed, slung from the two frame rails. BTW, I've GOT the clamp that holds the spare up, if you're interested. You'd have to come up with the two long studs that hold it tight against the tire. Some 1/2" allthread would do fine.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Biggs. I think I'll pass on the spare tire mount. Seems like I recall the inside (of the bed) spare tire mount in a TW sometime back. I'll go check.

Comment

Thanks Biggs. I think I'll pass on the spare tire mount. Seems like I recall the inside (of the bed) spare tire mount in a TW sometime back. I'll go check.

Comment

OK. For myself, I want to find the side-mount setup. I've always thought that looked sharp. And besides that, I don't wanna take up valuable bed floor space with a spare.

Here's the thing tho. The GOOD thing for you! Reach around on the front side of the bed front - where those holes are. Is there a doubler there? If so, all you need is some allthread to MAKE your tire holder. Look at illustration # 1411 on page 412 of the 57 thru 61 truck parts book. You can MAKE 1411-19 with some allthread, a propane torch and a vise! A couple of washers, a wing nut and you're good to go.
            You could CERTAINLY fudge 1411-15 with a bit of sheet metal and a vise if it isn't already in your truck!

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

OK. For myself, I want to find the side-mount setup. I've always thought that looked sharp. And besides that, I don't wanna take up valuable bed floor space with a spare.

Here's the thing tho. The GOOD thing for you! Reach around on the front side of the bed front - where those holes are. Is there a doubler there? If so, all you need is some allthread to MAKE your tire holder. Look at illustration # 1411 on page 412 of the 57 thru 61 truck parts book. You can MAKE 1411-19 with some allthread, a propane torch and a vise! A couple of washers, a wing nut and you're good to go.
              You could CERTAINLY fudge 1411-15 with a bit of sheet metal and a vise if it isn't already in your truck!

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

quote:Is there a doubler there?
                There's a flat piece of steel bolted to the bed wall, if that's what you mean. [?] (I'll go take some pics.)

Comment

quote:Is there a doubler there?
                  There's a flat piece of steel bolted to the bed wall, if that's what you mean. [?] (I'll go take some pics.)

Comment

What's there:

Comment

What's there:

Comment

Matthew if you have access to a 57-61 truck parts book, (3E to 6E) on page 412 illustration #1411, Spare tire mount inside the pickup box.

In the illustrations at the top of 412 the lower left is the one you're asking about.

Its also in the 7E/8E parts book page 354

Guess I should have read the whole message thread before posting<G>

5E13
                        7E7
                        8E7
                        8E12
                        8E28
                        4E2
                        59 Lark
                        etc

Comment

Matthew if you have access to a 57-61 truck parts book, (3E to 6E) on page 412 illustration #1411, Spare tire mount inside the pickup box.

In the illustrations at the top of 412 the lower left is the one you're asking about.

Its also in the 7E/8E parts book page 354

Guess I should have read the whole message thread before posting<G>

5E13
                          7E7
                          8E7
                          8E12
                          8E28
                          4E2
                          59 Lark
                          etc

Comment

I'm with Mr biggs I wouldnt want the spare in the bed, unless of coarse you dont plan on hauling anything but space with that ole girl.

Randy_G
                            www.automotivehistoryonline.com

Comment

I'm with Mr biggs I wouldnt want the spare in the bed, unless of coarse you dont plan on hauling anything but space with that ole girl.

Randy_G
                              www.automotivehistoryonline.com

Comment

Working...
                              X