Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

???????????? what to do with 90% rust free 55 four door?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ???????????? what to do with 90% rust free 55 four door?

Big question comes up when one comes across a rather rust free 4 door car in this case it is a 55 president, the paint looks worn out and the hood is complete surface rust and a minor bent corner, the interior is original but also worn out but looking at the floors and trunk they are in rather good shape, car has been sitting at least 5 years with a lot of the exterior trim removed but with the car. The engine is a president 259 with 4 bld. carb. it is an automatic trans that could have some problems . the engine will turn by the fan and belt and has good clean oil in the pan so should run. I as a parts seller know what on this car will sell and for how much one can get for some of the parts so that is not the problem, the real problem is do I part it out or try and sell it as a whole car?? not a lot of call for the 4 doors, this one also has a broken grille center but I might have one in stock that is better, options please, take a look at a few pictures more on request....thanks ....Bob

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

I would try to sell it whole first, somebody out there wants it and that means less work for you.
    1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Sadly, that great old ride won't get much respect. It's probably worth more for parts unless some business needs a real head turner for advertising. You can't save 'em all, Bob, but you deserve kudos for all the ones you've saved.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I suggest putting it on eBay as it sits. You might mention that you have certain items available as a separate sale. Place your reserve at what the parts will easily bring minus your time/effort in parting it out. At least this way the World has a chance to buy it whole and can not complain about it being parted out.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bob, I think people would want to know if that is really a President 6H "Y" Body 4 Door or a 15G8 Commander "W" Body with an optional 4 barrel.
          We can't tell the trim level or W or Y with no side view and the Windshield Mouldings are missing, so no way to be sure of the "Look" of the car, butter Knifes, narrow stainless Body Side Mouldings or none.

If I remember correctly, that year there were many trim levels but only Commanders & Champions came in W Body, so if it's a 6H President it would be a "Y" Body with the Vent Window rear doors, but not EVERYONE knows that, so especially if you did an eBay Ad, you need good side views by dragging it out of the "Herd".

That is a very solid Body with very little rust that could be easier restored, it is just too bad that very few are interested in '55 Sedans.
          I have a good Calif. '54 Land Cruiser Body and frame here, that is in the same situation as this '55: Sell or part out and scrap?
          Last edited by StudeRich; 03-31-2014, 01:53 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Do what I'm doing...my 54, 4dr sedan is a running "parts car".

On one hand...right now, I use it to go get lunch and to go to the store on weekends.
            On the other hand, I have two 54 Conestoga's. One, when complete will be my "daily driver". And we all know that having an old car as a daily driver...you NEED spare parts to be availible. Like the time I got hit on the freeway while in my Lark. Luckilly I had a "few" spares laying around.
            With this sedan...I have a whole car, usable grill, fenders, hood, bumpers...etc., etc. even sections of the doors I can use.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              ......We can't tell the trim level or W or Y with no side view.......
              Sure you can Rich, check out the third picture down of the rear floor. It has the added seam for the extra 4" wheelbase as well as a nice shadow of the rear vent window, latch and all.
              Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

As you know, the hardest parts to find on that early 55 or on a late 55 are the front fenders and hood.
                I bought a late 55 without title, cheap, just to have those extra parts.
                The rest won't bring much, unless you're willing to cut it up for the solid floors.
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Shame it's on the left coast, or shame I'm on the right coast!
                  sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                  Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                  "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

If it was here I would take it NOW ! ! !

Comment

If you list it on e bay I would say it may bring what the sum of its valued parts are worth like as if someone was looking for parts desireable and compatible with a more desireable to have model. V8 259 4 BBL. Delco distributor, Rear stabilizer. Brake system. and a few other thingys. You may make more money stripping/parting it. Your car, your choice. I just want the rear stabilizer set up, cheers jimmijim
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Bob......YOU know better than anyone what you should do with this body style.......

Comment

One of our members in the Karel Staple Chapter is parting out a 53 and a 54 sedan , he's not that far from Bob. Just a thought

Comment

Ok... how much would a Stude like this cost? THis is pretty much what I want for a Stude (4-door V8, preferrably a 55 even) Do you have a "whole" car, like enough parts to put it together and drive it, or is it a non-running shell?
                            http://s427.photobucket.com/albums/p...Studes%202010/

Comment

Keep the posts coming as it is very interesting reading , all the trim is with the car and it is the wide butter knife style, and there is a rear sway bar in place, the car is an early one with the flat front windshield no wrap around, forgot to check the cowell numbers but the engine is a "P" letter and only 3 numbers so that makes it an early 259 in 55. here are a few more pictures.

also the inter door and window handles are gold in color, the radio is there and the car has the original clock, top of the line in 55 except no power steering or power brakes, or air or power windows, I just wish some would step and show some interest in it before I start to pull it apart, but E-bay will come first unless the engine works out good then it will go into a 53 starliner I want to sell, I have 2 of them.
                              Last edited by candbstudebakers; 03-31-2014, 06:54 PM.
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X