1925 Studebaker. Roadster or Touring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1925 Studebaker. Roadster or Touring?

This Studebaker was ID's as a 1925 Roadster. I am wondering if it might be a touring instead? The Rear pan makes me think it is not a roadster. Tag in the firewall is stamped 8731

Can anyone ID it for certain?

Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 11.37.28 AM.jpg IMAG4091.jpg IMAG4088.jpg

What else does the tag on the firewall say? It should have body style and trim level.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
      What else does the tag on the firewall say? It should have body style and trim level.
      Doug; Cars of that vintage did not have the model designation on the firewall tag. First year for that was 1927. As to whether the car was originally a roadster or touring the windshield frame indicates a roadster. Further it is a model ER Standard Six (as opposed the larger Special or Big Six).
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Neat car, should be saved and put back together.
        When I hear "roadster" I always think of the Hardy Boys speeding around Bayport!
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

This is a very early model ER Standard 6. This can be determined by the silver face on the instrument panel which was only used on the first of the five different panels used on the Standard/Dictator 6. Also, this has two large gauges, a clock and a speedometer. It was the only one which had a clock, which was deleted on all the others. How early this car is can also be determined by the locations of the clock and speedo. Since you are in Calgary Peter, I'm assuming this is a Canadian car, which would mean that cars built before serial #1953343 had the clock on the left and speedo on the right. Cars built after that number and before serial #1953784 had the speedo on the left and clock on the right. The silver faced panel was dropped after 1953784.

Terry

Comment

Thanks Dick, I never thought of that. He did say the tag had a number though.

I sold my '25 and don't remember seeing any tag.
            Last edited by doug; 03-31-2014, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Compare it to this roadster: DSCN3083.jpg DSCN3084.jpg DSCN3085.jpg

We believe this car is of slightly later vintage, please offer your thoughts and opinions.
              Last edited by Pat Dilling; 03-31-2014, 02:53 PM.
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Tne roadster is definitely earlier. It looks like a 1923-24 model EM light six. The flywheel and clutch are exposed, and the transmission is mounted on a separate subframe whereas the ER had a fully enclosed flywheel and the transmission was in unit with the engine. The gauge layout is consistent with that of an open model EM.

Terry

Comment

That car is advertised on CL as being in Tucson, AZ
                  and with the cactus in the background of one pic, it just might really be there
                  sigpic
                  JohnP, driving & reviving
                  60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by allstateguy View Post
                    That car is advertised on CL as being in Tucson, AZ
                    and with the cactus in the background of one pic, it just might really be there
                    No wonder it's so rust free!

Terry

Comment

The car is in Arizona Terry. I have not been able to find any parts cars inCanada to date. I was hoping that one was a suitable candidate.

Comment

I was so focused on the car I didn't notice the cactus in the background! This car would certainly be a good start as a parts source even though it is missing the rear axle. The engine and transmission are correct. The front axle has no provision for front wheel brakes, so it would have had wood spoked wheels which was probably correct for your car originally.

I took a look at the pictures on the ASC website and can add a couple more details. The car has Wagner ignition - no spark lever on the dash board. The casting number on the block, 123096-4 is the same as the one in my 27 Dictator so both intake and exhaust valves are the same size - 1 1/2 inches. The -4 indicates the fourth revision to the block which I believe was the last one.

Terry
                        Last edited by dictator27; 04-01-2014, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X