Used car prices, late 50's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used car prices, late 50's

Looking through some old late 50's Motor Trend magazines it is interesting to see what some vintage cars went for, I guess the classic car movement had not started yet.

1932 Cadillac V16 Double Cowl Phaeton ready to drive anywhere $900.00

1932 Auburn 8 Convertible Sedan, again drive anywhere $550.00

Of course these cars old news and close to 30 years old.

I also love the old adds.

True, hindsight is 20/20. The right buy back then would today set your children up with an estate. A early '60s Ferrari GTO at the right time was just a used race car and could have been bought for $5,000. At their peak, after Enzo died, one sold for $52,000,000.

Back to the "classics". Ever driven one? What are multi-million-dollar classics today are still tiny small in the front seat, just old, narrow, hard-steering, rough-riding, weak brakes cars which got 8 MPG, parts and tires expensive and difficult to find, even in the '50s.

Closer to home, if one had to drive an R3 Avanti 4-speed every day in I-405 rush hour traffic in August, it might be for sale soon.
    PackardV8

Comment

Listed in June 1951 Motor Trend;

1934 Lincoln V12, body by LeBaron, convertible coupe. Good tires, needs top and front leather. Extra motor and transmission. Price $450.

1932 Auburn 12Cyl roadster. Needs paint and top. Motor and body in excellent shape, also spare body parts for same. Price $125.

And this one did not list a price but I wonder what it sold for;

1948 Tucker four-door sedan, two extra motors with other parts available.
      Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by decappastubbie View Post
        Looking through some old late 50's Motor Trend magazines it is interesting to see what some vintage cars went for, I guess the classic car movement had not started yet.

1932 Cadillac V16 Double Cowl Phaeton ready to drive anywhere $900.00

1932 Auburn 8 Convertible Sedan, again drive anywhere $550.00

Of course these cars old news and close to 30 years old.

I also love the old adds.
        Robert J. Gottlieb, a Beverly Hills attorney and long time collector of Packards was M/T's go to classic car guy. Bob wrote a monthly column called Classic Comments.

The thing is, there were no circuses back then run by the Kruse Boys and Barrett-Jackson. So the cars weren't in the public eye, weren't worth very much.

For example, in an LA Times ad I read in 1961, Mae West's former 1931 J Duesenberg Murphy Town Car was for sale on a Hollywood used car lot: Price 500 bucks!

In 1969, I bought Charlie Chaplin's former 1934 Packard V12 Rollston Landaulet from a chicken farmer in the San Fernando Valley for 400 bucks.

I went there to look at a rare (even then) 1948 Nash convertible, spotted the Packard which was serving as a chicken coop.

Even though it was rough as a cob and covered with chicken poop, I bought it. Passed on the Nash, as it was a rusty pile of miseries.
        Last edited by WinM1895; 03-29-2014, 08:33 PM.

Comment

You gotta remember too, Average wages were about $50.bucks per week. I remember my Uncle Fred got a Promotion to $2.00 per hour in 1952. He went out and bought a new Oldsmobile Convertable to celebrate. He kept it untill 1966.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

FYI, $500.00 in 1951 is equal to $4515.02 in 2014 dollars.

Source: CPI calculator: http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Interesting to play with if you have nothing better to do.

Average yearly wage, $2799.00. Source: http://thecostofliving.com/index.php?id=119&a=1
            Last edited by southbend; 03-30-2014, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I bought my first Studebaker in '55. Commander Regal coupe with radio, heater,ww's, full hubcaps, OD, and tinted windows. Loaded. Cost $800 and I had to finance most of it. Of course, I was an apprentice at the time earning $1.25 an hour.
              Bob
              Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X