Hemmings Blog on Studebaker Hamilton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemmings Blog on Studebaker Hamilton

For those of you who log on to the Hemmings Daily Blog, you find a story written by their web editor, Daniel Strohl, about the demolition of the Studebaker Hamilton manufacturing facility. Unfortunately it is so full of errors that it makes one wonder where Mr. Strohl got his information from. If you log on to the blog and scroll down to the reader comments you'll see my notes.

Examples of the errors:
    * Headline is wrong - ALL of the Studebaker facility was torn down; remaining building belonged to Otis
    * Address is wrong
    * Picture shown is Otis, not Studebaker
    * Writer can't determine date the last Studebaker rolled off the line
    * Question raised about what model the last car was
    * Information about who built the Studebaker plant is incorrect

Fortunately I have been able to speak to Daniel Strohl at Hemmings and confirmed the corrections I posted on the Hemmings Blog. His response is shown on their Blog. I have respectfully suggested that with all the Studebaker coverage in Hemmings they should have been easily able to talk to an authoritative Studebaker person if they didn't have knowledge of my existence.

Maybe Bob Palma can toss in a word or two about Hemmings ensuring their stories are accurate.

Stu Chapman

[QUOTE=Stu Chapman;833415 I have respectfully suggested that with all the Studebaker coverage in Hemmings they should have been easily able to talk to an authoritative Studebaker person if they didn't have knowledge of my existence.

Maybe Bob Palma can toss in a word or two about Hemmings ensuring their stories are accurate.

Stu Chapman[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your effort on this, Stu. I haven't seen it because I have dropped all connection with Hemmings (multiple subscriptions, blogs and anything else) due to the multiple errors, not just with Studebaker items.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I read it today too Stu & felt the same way. It would do Hemmings a world of justice for them to have Bob proofread any articles pertaining to Studebaker since he writes for them in every other issue of their Classic Car magazine. Such glaring errors take away their reputation from being one of the leading journals & lower it to something along the order of the New York Post.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

After the comment in the November 2013 issue of Hemmings Classic Car which is cited in "Off The Records" in this month's TW regarding the comment that Studebakers were mechanically in the dark ages, it might be time for Hemmings to do some editorial house cleaning to ensure that Studebaker references are accurate and properly vetted before publication. Accurate information is readily available so this sort of blunder is certainly regrettable as well as inexcusable.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
        X