Cleaning windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning windows?

No matter what I try on the windows of 56 Golden Hawk I just can't seem to get them clean. Any suggestions, I have heard maybe vinegar and newspaper.

That depends a lot on what you are trying to remove. Is it just ordinary soiling or is it an oily residue, industrial fumes/soot, road salt, paint overspray, etc.?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Newspaper is an old fashioned method stemming from when they used an earlier ink formula that had a slightly abrasive (carbon) content.
      That's about all I can contribute.
      sigpic
      Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

bird poop ?

Comment

My son bought a car that had been sitting near a cement plant for many years. We found the only thing that would touch it was a clay bar. Rubbing compound with a buffer was the second best. Don't know what you are trying to remove.

Comment

For some soils I have resorted to razor blades, lacquer thinner and 0000 steel wool. Still need to finish with a no-streak glass cleaner.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I purchased a cheap late model daily driver last summer that had been repaired & repainted but the shop failed to clean off any paint overspray on the windshield. Lacquer thinner and a cotton rag remedied the situation.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Magic Sponge will work on nearly anything.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

What is going on here????

Originally posted by gmannix View Post
                  No matter what I try on the windows of 56 Golden Hawk I just can't seem to get them clean. Any suggestions, I have heard maybe vinegar and newspaper.
                  Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  That depends a lot on what you are trying to remove. Is it just ordinary soiling or is it an oily residue, industrial fumes/soot, road salt, paint overspray, etc.?
                  I am wondering...this is not intended to be a criticism of the original poster. But I have seen this before, where someone (usually new to the forum) will post a question and not engage in a dialog or return to acknowledge if there was any useful information gained.

This poster has started four threads and posed good questions, but (unless he has replied since I began this) ...has not responded to any of them. Are folks misunderstanding the purpose/use/format of the forum? I know of one member, ( an engineer), and certainly no "dummy"...who told me that he once came to the forum regarding an automatic transmission problem he was having. According to him, the folks on the forum... "blew him off and told him to refer to his shop manual." He gave me the impression that he thought the forum was some kind of "Official SDC Board of Experts." ...Kinda like an "On Line Cooperator."

After his initial experience, he said the forum was a "waste of time."

My attempt to explain that it was simply a place where Studebaker fans can get together and have conversations/discussions regarding our hobby, seemed to go in one ear and out the other.

This may not be an issue, I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill, but when I see folks pose good questions and disappear...it
                  causes me to wonder if there is some kind of misunderstanding we are missing?
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I've found a good cleaner is the glass cleaner made for glass-top ranges. It does a nice job and leaves a coating that seems to repel water.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                      I am wondering...this is not intended to be a criticism of the original poster. But I have seen this before, where someone (usually new to the forum) will post a question and not engage in a dialog or return to acknowledge if there was any useful information gained.

This poster has started four threads and posed good questions, but (unless he has replied since I began this) ...has not responded to any of them. Are folks misunderstanding the purpose/use/format of the forum? I know of one member, ( an engineer), and certainly no "dummy"...who told me that he once came to the forum regarding an automatic transmission problem he was having. According to him, the folks on the forum... "blew him off and told him to refer to his shop manual." He gave me the impression that he thought the forum was some kind of "Official SDC Board of Experts." ...Kinda like an "On Line Cooperator."

After his initial experience, he said the forum was a "waste of time."

My attempt to explain that it was simply a place where Studebaker fans can get together and have conversations/discussions regarding our hobby, seemed to go in one ear and out the other.

This may not be an issue, I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill, but when I see folks pose good questions and disappear...it
                      causes me to wonder if there is some kind of misunderstanding we are missing?
                      I know some people (like me) don't have daily access to the internet. I only have it at work and then only at break times. To top it off, this isn't the most important thing in our lives sometimes. When loved ones are sick or in the hospital, this is the last place I'm concerned about. Let's keep this fun and not a chore.

Comment

Go to Griot's Garage online and look up their class cleaning products. They work as advertised and your windows will never look better. I used them on my '50 Commander and the difference was startling.
                        griotsgarage.com
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I put a back window in my car thinking it would just "clean up". Seems there is some delamination and a cloudy material between the layers. It won't clean up. I'll replace it and the headliner when I do a "final" on it after I drive the snot out of it for a few years.
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

WD40 and steel wool. Works great, but then you have to use windex to remove the WD40
                            Neil Thornton

Comment

Sorry you were right I am new to the forum and wasn't sure if I was responding correctly. Could you elaborate some to the magic sponge.

Comment

Working...
                              X