No announcement yet.

Cleaning windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have heard that delaminated and fogged glass can be restored. Try taking it to a reputable auto glass company.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

One thing I have noticed some newer posters on our Forum sometimes do, is actually post an email address at the bottom of their post thinking someone is going to bother sending them an email.

When actually all we do is just click "Reply" and then EVERYONE who reads the Forum can benefit from the help we freely give to them, BUT THEY will never see it if they don't come back.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 03-24-2014, 06:04 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If it's just general cleaning one is doing (i.e., using Windex, etc.) try using (clean, not used) paper coffee filters rather than paper towel or newspaper for your wipe. I used Windex and coffee filters to clean the fingerprints off the glass doors when I worked at Burger King when I was in high school. Worked great. No residue. No streaking. No paper lint left behind like some paper towels.

Also, if you're dusting the dash and interior, invest in a Swiffer duster (or use the wife's and don't tell her). Swiffer picks up the dust "like a dust magnet" as they claim in their ads---it doesn't just move the dust around. And it can get in all the nooks and crannies. All without leaving a chemical residue.

Comment

I use this powder for the really tuff stuff...hasn't failed me yet

http://www.bonami.com/

And it doesn't scratch.....
          Bill Foy
          1000 Islands, Ontario
          1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
            Magic Sponge will work on nearly anything.
            Originally posted by gmannix View Post
            Sorry you were right I am new to the forum and wasn't sure if I was responding correctly. Could you elaborate some to the magic sponge.
            Hey, thanks for coming back. Perhaps Clark (showbizkid) will see this and give us more info on the magic sponge.

I hope you come back often and hang around and contribute to the forum. I did not mean to single you out with my previous post, but I have a concern if those who are not familiar with our forums are, somehow, not understanding the purpose and scope of participating.

I have compared it to a never ending campfire. Anyone can wander in and contribute to the conversation. Some are better than others at it. You'll find this out as you "hang around."

I am interested in the "magic sponge" myself.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks my questions won't end because I will keep coming back to the Studebaker experts for good info.

Comment

The "magic sponge" is available in grocery stores. Made by Mr. Clean. Find it with the household cleaners. Works on just about anything.
                Bob
                Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BeeJay View Post
                  The "magic sponge" is available in grocery stores. Made by Mr. Clean. Find it with the household cleaners. Works on just about anything.
                  Bob
                  Good grief! My wife has been using those for a long time. If you would have told me to look in the cabinet under the kitchen sink for that "white cleaning pad"...I'd have know 'xactly what you meant. That tells you how much I help in the kitchen.

They work great for cleaning beet juice stains off the counter-top...don't see why they wouldn't work good on the car/motorcycle...er...tractor?
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yeah, this is the thing I meant:

Click image for larger version

Name:	91wM4CnWZ-L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1688372

They make a few different versions of this; it's a sponge embedded with microfiber and it will take off nearly anything that's take-offable. Just wet down the glass and scrub a bit with one of these and it should take off whatever the goop is (unless the glass is delaminating, as noted above).

I have a box of the Industrial Strength version sold at Home Depot in the cleaner aisle

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I use a product called "Nothin's Better", and have used it for years. It's a powder made from rice hull ash and can remove just about anything on glass and other materials. This stuff is made here locally in Sacramento. Watch this video www.youtube.com/watch?v=1__IS1cWICQ Google it for where to buy.

Comment

Do you know petzoldts+magic+clean ? It's perfect to clean all of the car and doesn't scratch. I do it before polishing and after washing.
                        Last edited by Santosh; 03-25-2014, 04:38 PM.
                        Walter

80 Fiat Spider
                        63 Lark Regal 4 Dr. sold 2015
                        60 Hawk sold 2017 in England
                        56 Golden Hawk
                        56 Corvette (John Cougar Mellencamp's C1)
                        68 Volvo P1800S
                        56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

http://www.speak-to-doc.de/oldi/

Comment

From what I understand, the Magic Eraser started life as a low weight flame retardant airplane seating material. Somebody accidentally discovered that it worked as a cleaning songe.

I'll second the effectiveness. I brushed a telephone pole backing up my SUV 8-10 years ago. The Magic Eraser completely removed the rub mark and creosote from the paint.

Didn't do a darned thing for the dent, tho!
                          Last edited by pbrown; 03-25-2014, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X