Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are sort of seats are you running from other cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are sort of seats are you running from other cars?

I've tried searching on here but didn't come up with much. I'm considering cheaping out on the seats in my ratty 54 C Coupe. I was wondering if anyone has found other seats that fit well with cheap upholstery kits available or readily found in good condition. I was thinking something from maybe a Falcon or newer small suv. I'd like to keep the front and rear bench. Any suggestions?

Have you considered middle and rear seats from a minivan? There are several widths available... Just a thought...
    Corley

Comment

Originally posted by Corley View Post
      Have you considered middle and rear seats from a minivan? There are several widths available... Just a thought...
      I suppose that could work, the mounting brackets would probably be way too high though.

Comment

1965/70 Mustang & 1967/70 Cougar low back bucket seats and the seat tracks are the same. The various years upholstery and foam rubber is reproduced

1,660,000+ 1965/66 Mustang's were sold, so these seats are relatively EZ to find.

Hi back buckets were introduced in 1970, are the same 1970/73 Mustang/Cougar.
        Last edited by WinM1895; 03-22-2014, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Possibly a bit presumptuous but why would you want to go back to old seats and reupholster them when you can got to a wrecking yard and buy the complete interior out of a modern car that won't need to be reupholstered, the foam is good and they are just more comfortable than the old stuff.

I bought the complete interior from a 2007 Acura TL for my 54K for under $200 and I have the complete interior from a 2009 G6 waiting to go into my Avanti that was under $400.

I know these are bucket fronts but just go to the yard and find what you want. Most modern full and mid-size cars will work in the Stude.

[IMG][/IMG]
          , ,

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
            Possibly a bit presumptuous but why would you want to go back to old seats and reupholster them when you can got to a wrecking yard and buy the complete interior out of a modern car that won't need to be reupholstered, the foam is good and they are just more comfortable
            [IMG][/IMG]
            You've got a point there, i guess I'm hoping for something old enough to look correct. I don't know why i hadn't considered a plain old (newer) modern car. I may have to take some measurements to the big city salvage yard and do some exploring.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              Possibly a bit presumptuous but why would you want to go back to old seats and reupholster them when you can got to a wrecking yard and buy the complete interior out of a modern car that won't need to be reupholstered, the foam is good and they are just more comfortable than the old stuff.....
              And to add to that...the modern seats have "lumbar" support. Most Studebaker seats (and other seats of the period) not only do not have lumbar support...but will pull your shirt tail out as you ride down the road.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My Taurus seats have a center console with cupholders....
                Jon Stalnaker
                Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I am going to use a set of 2003 Lincoln town car seats.

Patrick.

Comment

I've got buckets from an 02 Accord, the drivers is 8 way power, comfy.

Comment

I used mid 60's GM buckets in my 54. I was more into fitting in with the theme of the car than I was into comfort...but they weren't bad. I drove the car 30,000 miles including some 13 hour stretches. All GM buckets from 61 to 65 were the same...Buick, Olds, Chev and Pontiac full sized cars to Corvairs. I think mine were out of a 65 Impala SS, but I swaped out the trim for Corvair or Chevelle....reupholstered too of course.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Now that's what I'm looking for Dick! What did you do for the rear? Those look perfect.

Comment

Second row seats from a Chrysler mini-van work great for a non-stock Gasser type /weekend warrior.

For ease of access, can be removed in one minute by simply pulling the release lever and lifting out.
                          Seat backs fold flat forward (easing access to rear seats) and latch solid forming tables with built in cup holders (nice when wrenching on a hot afternoon) there is multi position recline, built in swing down twin arm rests on each seat, tough 'kid-proof' upholstery, even cup holders in the bases.

Little demand and an overabundance, paid $10 for a pair. A couple of 1 by's for leveling, a couple of 2' strips of angle iron (old bed frame) for hold down and adjustment tracks and half a dozen bolts and washers, an afternoon and I'm sitting pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                            Second row seats from a Chrysler mini-van work great for a non-stock Gasser type /weekend warrior.

Little demand and an overabundance, paid $10 for a pair. A couple of 1 by's for leveling, a couple of 2' strips of angle iron (old bed frame) for hold down and adjustment tracks and half a dozen bolts and washers, an afternoon and I'm sitting pretty.
                            Got any pictures?
                            sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

A friend of mine also has those 60's GM buckets from Pontiac.
                              One of his sets is the later high back type.
                              These in vinyl even kinda go with stock Studebaker rear upholstey.

Comment

Working...
                              X