Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me understand this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-P...US_Cars_Trucks

I've been following this '55 President coupe on ebay and frankly- I don't get it. The buy it now price is just absurd for a non Speedster, but i also don't get the numbers bidders are throwing down
    I grant that it's a very pretty car but it's also a very incorrect car. The hood ornament should have a gold leading edge, the engine detailing is bad , and the engine itself also has a miriad of wrong colors. None of them are right. Unless the lighting is really bad, the interior has several different shades of blue vinyl. The door panels are in a Commander pattern, and appear to be flat vinyl instead of pleats or squares,and no rug at the bottom which a President should have. The seat upholstery looks to me like seat covers. The windshield wiper switch has what I guess is a radio knob on it
    Color me confused as to why this car has ever climbing bids

It could be any number of things...uneducated bidders, bidders with auction fever, maybe it's Spring Fever and a couple of bidders want a turnkey car they can drive right away. There could even be a shill bidder driving the price up for the seller. It only takes two bidders who want the car to drive the price up.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Not only the incorrect items you've pointed out on this "restored" car, ceecab, but where is the body tag? I see two holes on the firewall where it belongs.

One may call this a restored Studebaker, but it is not an authentic restoration. I would call it a "poor attempt" on a relatively scarce body style. OMO.

Frank Drumheller
      Locust Grove, VA
      60S-W6
      M16-52 '48 Studebaker-Boyer fire truck

Comment

I could see if it was a hardtop then someone plans to swap the inside and rebadge it as a speedster. As said maybe someone just wants a ready to drive nice looking car. I dont see anything that stands out that it wouldn't do well in a normal car show. As far as the wrong peices already listed only a studebaker guy would know and there isn't that many of those at most car meets.

Comment

......I'm as puristically anal as the next owner.... don't hold it against me. Do what you want to your car, and as a rule (so far) Stude enthusiasts are not burning the bridge to dis-allow new folks that are not bothered by absolute correctness and matching numbers etc.....Aside from a turn key mobile, the pillared roof "C" models are tighter some 60+ years later...for some folks...

Comment

If someone asks more than a car is worth that's their right. If someone cares to buy that car for more than it's worth...it's their money. As long as they're happy I don't care. It's when someone is financially buried in their car and wants to get out of it without penalty I take issue. I feel no obligation to bail someone out for something they have too much invested in.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The BIN may be ridiculous, but the high bid around $15,000 isn't at all terrible...and we don't know what the reserve is. How could you "build" a 1955 President coupe, albeit with a few authenticity issues, for that kind of money?

I know for a fact that a local chapter member paid more than that for a virtually identical 1955 President coupe in yellow and white several years ago...and his had a [incorrect, since all Presidents were 4-bbls] 2 bbl carb and manifold!

That said, the presentation needs trunk floor photos, chassis photos, and a battery hold-down! BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I do not think the buy it now price is out of line for a President 2 door. This is a top of the line car. If you look at the Old Cars Guide, the difference in price between a hardtop and coupe is small. I think we are all used to CASO prices and have been spoiled.

Comment

Working...
                X