car auction that would make you sick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car auction that would make you sick

going through youtube and this made me sick.

http://youtu.be/z2-LCsHd10s

That auctioneer would be better if he spoke English, I'd have no idea what he was saying. Not a bad buy for a Champ, even if it were a parts car.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
      That auctioneer would be better if he spoke English, I'd have no idea what he was saying. Not a bad buy for a Champ, even if it were a parts car.
      I don't know about Australian auctioneers, but that guy is talking just as he was trained. Good American auctioneers use that rapid chatter to keep things moving. I guess I have gone to enough auctions that I could understand every word he was saying.
      Even so, the owner of that truck put it in the wrong auction- looked to me as if it should have brought quite a bit more just from what you could see.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

What Paul said, John; the auctioneer sounded quite normal, really. I, too, understood completely what was going on...and it looks like someone got a helluva deal, unless that video is 40 years old. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          unless that video is 40 years old. BP
          Or at least back in 2009...

Comment

Fairly old video. It was discussed here at the time and seemed like it was close to value then. Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Well...I'd say "It depends"...on whether you're sellin' er buyin'

A good auctioneer's job is to develop/promote/excite, and incite the crowd into an orgasmic buying frenzy. A good auctioneer is there to wring every last penny possible for himself and the seller.

If I'm selling...I want the best auctioneer possible. If I'm buying...I want the most boring, inept, and awkward auctioneer. Once, I had a guy trying to sell me a beautiful mare straight up for $1200.00

After I refused to immediately plop the money in his hands, he loaded her up and took her to the local farm sale auction. There, when she was presented rather late in the evening...folks had spent most of their money on other things, and the auctioneer was tired...I bought the horse for $800 bucks! A few months later...I sold her straight up for $1200.

I have been to auctions where the crowd was worked up into such a buying frenzy, that rusty bent and damaged items were going for more than new retail. That's the auctioneer I want when I'm selling!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                Well...I'd say "It depends"...on whether you're sellin' er buyin'

I have been to auctions where the crowd was worked up into such a buying frenzy... That's the auctioneer I want when I'm selling!
                'Didn't know you had ever been to Barrett-Jackson / Scottsdale in January, John. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  'Didn't know you had ever been to Barrett-Jackson / Scottsdale in January, John. BP
                  HA!...Although we have not spent a lot of time together...I think you know me better than that! It's bad enough to accidentally fall overboard into shark infested waters

...but I would view that auction as akin to diving head first into "CHUMMED WATERS!"

Besides...if they required a "wallet-check" to enter the room...

I'd be ushered out of the parking lot!
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

"That's the auctioneer I want when I'm selling!"

And it sure doesn't hurt if Amy Assiter is working the Buyer.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	amy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	1688340
                    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                    X