R2 engine worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2 engine worth

There's a 64 Daytona HT 3spd OD nearby that has a 63 R2 block in it. There's no supercharger brackets. Has an AFB intake with non original carb. What's it worth running? Not running?
    My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
    sigpic
    Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
    in the Geographic center of Tennessee

I think it is going to depend how many, if any of the unique parts are still with the engine. For example does it have the unique r2 water manifold? Vented pan? Harmonic balancer? Is it from an Avanti or a Hawk/Lark? What heads are on it?

if it is just the block, then nothing really special compared to a run of the mill 289. It's biggest value would be to the owner of the car it originally came from, so be sure to post the engine number!
    Eric DeRosa

\'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
    \'63 R2 Lark (the money-pit-mobile)
    \'60 Lark Convertible (project in waiting)

Comment

Could anyone else give a good guesstimation ?
      My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
      sigpic

Comment

Not enough information to give an accurate estimate. Some here think a complete-less-supercharger-R2 is valued at its weight in precious metal. We've seen them priced from $500-$5,000, with the higher valued examples coming with a machine-shop specification sheet. Some of the lower priced examples were junk inside and have only the value of the bolt-on parts.

if it is just the block, then nothing really special compared to a run of the mill 289. It's biggest value would be to the owner of the car it originally came from, so be sure to post the engine number!
        Yes, agree, the greatest value would be if the original car still exists and if the owner is restoring it and if he places great value in having it.

No, that's not the only value. One of our members here has posted a WTB for an R2 block. He'll pay extra for the number, even though it doesn't match the car.

Maybe, the value of the car in question depends on whether one wants to build a driver or part it out for max flippage. BTDTNA.
        Also, why isn't it running? Just neglect and was running when parked? Rod through the side of the block? Full of rainwater for the past 20 years?

Bottom line - it's lack of definitive condition of the engine and photos of the in/outside of the car which are preventing you from getting the answers you want.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

The engine came out of a 63 station wagon that was eventually scrapped. The engine was running. The fuel pump was leaking, so the owner drove it under a shed and that's where it has been sitting for the last 10 years. The engine will turn over.
          My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
          sigpic

Comment

sals54

Comment

There is still more value for the full flow block than some think, I get calls all the time for them , they are all I will save and have been for the past 2-3 years, you know the old saying gota have it.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. Now, what if it was a JTS Mopar, JTS Ford, or JTS Chevy block for example? The price of bacon might be on the rise.
                My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                sigpic

Comment

JT and JTS stands for Jet Thrust and Jet Thrust Supercharged. They were designations used only by Studebaker. These were the engines used in the Lark type cars and the Hawks. The JT engine was the same as the high compression Avanti R1, while the JTS was the same as the Avanti R2 supercharged. They each have different accessories on them due to the addition of the supercharger. Pulleys, brackets, water pumps, etc. This is why its important to know just what you have, before you ask a generic question of: how much is it worth?
                  sals54

Comment

Working...
                  X