Plan B (The Starliner) Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plan B (The Starliner) Update

She is alive! Took a solid day of work but not only did we get the engine running, we were able to get the breaks working and the transmission engaged. Check out the videos below but excuse me for sounding like a giddy school girl. Needless to say I was very excited.

The engine started very easily. We took the pan off to look at the transmission and were a little nervous because of all the gaskets we found in the car and the trans was empty. We put some fluid in and as far as we can tell so far she is working properly. The worst piece of news was finding out the radiator was leaking like a sieve, Anyone have one for sell?

A huge thanks goes to Dave Hober for allowing me to work on and keep the car at his place until the wedding. Plan B is officially plan A, still lots to do but feeling very optimistic.

Andres Garcia
    Fairfax, VA - Philadelphia, PA

1953 Studebaker Starliner - Check out this project!

1963 Studebaker GT Hawk - Check out this project!

First mini test drive. Brakes are a bit tight. I should also invest in some new wheel cylinders.

Andres Garcia

Comment

That's awesome!! How long did it sit? I can't believe everything just worked again. I wish it had been that easy with my datsun.

Comment

As far as I know the car had not been sitting since the 70's. Its hard to believe with how well the engine started and how little smoke came out the back. The start up in the video is not really the first attempt but it really wasn't that hard to get to crank. We filed the points, dissembled and the cleaned all the gunk in the carburetor, changed the batter and coil, bypassed the ignition switch and energized the coil. She sounds great.

The trans just needed fluid (so far) and the brakes are still really stiff. We put the master cylinder we had from the GT Hawk in it and bled as much of the old dirty brake fluid as we could out of the system. Adjusted the play in the pedal and were confident enough with it to take it for a short drive down the driveway.

Tomorrow we will try to clean out the gas tank and install a temporary new ignition switch.
        Andres Garcia

Comment

I like your video. I been doing this for 60 years and I still get the same excitement from starting an old dormant vehicle.
          I have a good radiator, but I expect you can find one a lot closer.

Comment

Awesome! Sounds great!
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Good stuff!!!!

Comment

My sons and I came by the next day (Sunday) and watched Andres and his father start it up again. Bitter cold, but great fun to hang out anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X