Amusement: November 2007 Hemmings Muscle Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amusement: November 2007 Hemmings Muscle Machines

'Just got my subscriber's copy of the November Hemmings Muscle Machines in today's mail. Little Studebaker material: They do have an AMC/Hudson/Studebaker Muscle Car Price Guide that is so-so as to accuracy; probably a little low. They threw in a nice color photo of Ted Harbit's Stude Tomato 1963 Lark Custom 2-door within that price report.

More amusement was to be had in a report on a beautifully-restored 1970 GTO Judge convertible, the product of a restoration facility operated by Scott Tiemann of Portland MI. Scott is one of the principals behind the scenes at The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race and a genuine Pontiac expert. They profiled his flawless, step-by-step job restoring this Judge Convertible.

...well, almost flawless, it would appear...

To wit: The text remarks that the car was so good it scored 349 points out of 350 available at the GTOAA Eastern Regional Meet. The lone point deducted was for "position of the limited-slip tag on the differential cover."

Right. This is to say that every limited-slip tag on every 1970 General Motors A-body limited-slip differential cover was in exactly the same place, regardless of production date or assembly plant. [:0]

I had to chuckle; shades of our SDC "problem" with Gran Turismo Hawk judging until a couple years ago. (Being an expert and always being absolutely right is sooooo difficult, regardless of the collector-car venue in which one is located.) [8D][}] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I thought I had the answer to my misplaced decal position deduction when I saw a NOS R2 Hawk air cleaner later, but the guy that put the decal on at the factory not center it and had it on at angle besides. It was almost if he did not use a straight edge and template to install it, but just slapped it on.
    As to the GM cars, I read about the incorrect bolt head markings that resulted in deductions. It's seems a Corvette line worker told a story about how on occasion they would run low on bolts because of a delayed shipment and he's be sent out to buy a few 100 at a local supply house to carry them over for a few days. Of course the Corvette vendors that sell the bolts with the correct markings didn't enjoy that story.
    Never, ever gripe about Studebaker prices after following this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...mZ220154748729

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    63 Lark 2 door
    58 Packard HT
    56 Golden Hawk
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I thought I had the answer to my misplaced decal position deduction when I saw a NOS R2 Hawk air cleaner later, but the guy that put the decal on at the factory not center it and had it on at angle besides. It was almost if he did not use a straight edge and template to install it, but just slapped it on.
      As to the GM cars, I read about the incorrect bolt head markings that resulted in deductions. It's seems a Corvette line worker told a story about how on occasion they would run low on bolts because of a delayed shipment and he's be sent out to buy a few 100 at a local supply house to carry them over for a few days. Of course the Corvette vendors that sell the bolts with the correct markings didn't enjoy that story.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...mZ220154748729

JDP/Maryland
      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
      63 Lark 2 door
      58 Packard HT
      56 Golden Hawk
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Och! $102.50 for 4 bolts! The amazing thing about it is, they don't look any different than our V-8 water manifold bolts that sell for $4.50 ea!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Och! $102.50 for 4 bolts! The amazing thing about it is, they don't look any different than our V-8 water manifold bolts that sell for $4.50 ea!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

[:0] And they look like used bolts! BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Ayn Rand:

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Hmmm...I guess it makes it worth my while to go through my old tabacco tins and old nut & bolt boxes laying around in the garage and round up a few used bolts, clean them up on the wire wheel and Ebay them.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Hmmm...I guess it makes it worth my while to go through my old tabacco tins and old nut & bolt boxes laying around in the garage and round up a few used bolts, clean them up on the wire wheel and Ebay them.

Craig

Comment

No need, I'll sell the correct, used Studebaker bolts for 20 dollars a pop while they last.( Unless the Corvette bolts go for way more then the measly $25 each.) I did catch myself trying to keep all the bolt head marking matching on the GT, but felt a bit silly doing it.

JDP/Maryland
                    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    58 Packard HT
                    56 Golden Hawk
                    52 Starliner
                    51 Commander
                    39 Coupe express
                    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

No need, I'll sell the correct, used Studebaker bolts for 20 dollars a pop while they last.( Unless the Corvette bolts go for way more then the measly $25 each.) I did catch myself trying to keep all the bolt head marking matching on the GT, but felt a bit silly doing it.

JDP/Maryland
                      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      58 Packard HT
                      56 Golden Hawk
                      52 Starliner
                      51 Commander
                      39 Coupe express
                      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

My guess is that they are exactly the same bolts in a Impala or Chevy Truck . I've seen that many times at swap meets. Common Chevy motor parts labeled as "Corvette" at many times the money. The strange parts is....they're SELLING at those prices! [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

My guess is that they are exactly the same bolts in a Impala or Chevy Truck . I've seen that many times at swap meets. Common Chevy motor parts labeled as "Corvette" at many times the money. The strange parts is....they're SELLING at those prices! [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                          X