Ebay bidders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay bidders

I think I understand why some bidders get in trouble on ebay. I just got a call on the Daytona and the guy wanted to know what it would take to buy the Daytona I just put up. After explaining how a auction works he stared asking questions about the car. One was about the condition of the interior and I told him it was about as sad as it looked in the pictures. He said "There's only one picture." I finally figured out he had not scrolled down to follow the more pics link, he apparently did not know how to scroll down at all and was just reading and seeing the first little bit of the listing and the first picture.
    He'd been looking for a Daytona hardtop, someone pointed him to ebay, but he was not very computer literate. Nice guy, can't fault him, but it explains some of trouble a bidder can get into. He's still interested in the car, but now he has more info then the one picture and paragraph to go on.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    63 Lark 2 door
    58 Packard HT
    56 Golden Hawk
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

quote:Originally posted by JDP

<snip> He said "There's only one picture." I finally figured out he had not scrolled down to follow the more pics link, he apparently did not know how to scroll down at all and was just reading and seeing the first little bit of the listing and the first picture.
    Please be aware there are at least TWO not-so-bright eBayers out there!

Appears I did a very similar thing to what that other person did. I did follow the "Be sure and follow the more pictures link at page bottom" instructions.

I scrolled (and yes, I know how to scroll) down to the page bottom and found nothing about a more pictures link. Then scrolled up a little and found an active link to Stude.com. Clicked on that and a whole bunch more link choices appeared ...but still no link for more pictures!!!
    Yes, I eventually found the correct link. It was NOT at the "page bottom," but rather about in the middle.

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

&lt;snip&gt; He said "There's only one picture." I finally figured out he had not scrolled down to follow the more pics link, he apparently did not know how to scroll down at all and was just reading and seeing the first little bit of the listing and the first picture.
      Please be aware there are at least TWO not-so-bright eBayers out there!

Appears I did a very similar thing to what that other person did. I did follow the "Be sure and follow the more pictures link at page bottom" instructions.

I scrolled (and yes, I know how to scroll) down to the page bottom and found nothing about a more pictures link. Then scrolled up a little and found an active link to Stude.com. Clicked on that and a whole bunch more link choices appeared ...but still no link for more pictures!!!
      Yes, I eventually found the correct link. It was NOT at the "page bottom," but rather about in the middle.

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

Good point. I'll change it from page bottom, to "Listing bottom" on my future listings since it's not at the very bottom, it's above the feedback and ebay text and with my e-mail, phone and cars sold. I couldn't put it and the real page bottom even if I wanted too. Thanks for the tip.

JDP/Maryland
        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
        63 Lark 2 door
        58 Packard HT
        56 Golden Hawk
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Good point. I'll change it from page bottom, to "Listing bottom" on my future listings since it's not at the very bottom, it's above the feedback and ebay text and with my e-mail, phone and cars sold. I couldn't put it and the real page bottom even if I wanted too. Thanks for the tip.

JDP/Maryland
          64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
          63 Lark 2 door
          58 Packard HT
          56 Golden Hawk
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

They are all over eBay, folks.
            Ever read the Discussion Boards?
            There are people asking how to do all the basic stuff every day - like how to click and drag, post pix, etc.
            Some want info they could find if they only knew how to search with Google, or other method.
            People buy a computer and think they'll get rich without learning how to use the darn thing.

Chris Pile
            The Studebaker Special
            Midway Chapter SDC
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

They are all over eBay, folks.
              Ever read the Discussion Boards?
              There are people asking how to do all the basic stuff every day - like how to click and drag, post pix, etc.
              Some want info they could find if they only knew how to search with Google, or other method.
              People buy a computer and think they'll get rich without learning how to use the darn thing.

Chris Pile
              The Studebaker Special
              Midway Chapter SDC
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Sellers I can fault a bit more, especially those that are trying to make a living at it. Bidders are another matter, any way I can help the rookies is a good thing, they can miss some important facts and overbid.

JDP/Maryland
                64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                63 Lark 2 door
                58 Packard HT
                56 Golden Hawk
                52 Starliner
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Sellers I can fault a bit more, especially those that are trying to make a living at it. Bidders are another matter, any way I can help the rookies is a good thing, they can miss some important facts and overbid.

JDP/Maryland
                  64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  58 Packard HT
                  56 Golden Hawk
                  52 Starliner
                  51 Commander
                  39 Coupe express
                  39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

To me, eBay is one of the greatest things to come along- a revolutionary way for a person to look for anything one would need or want- if for no other reason than to see what you can expect to pay for a given item you want. For sellers, it's a great way to get your item out to a huge number of potential buyers, and get a real-life appraisal of the value; not to mention a way that those so inclined can make some money right from their home!

However, nothing is perfect; and buyers like this are one of the tricky areas. I've always felt it is the user's responsibility to learn how to use any tool correctly, and eBay is no exception to that. But not everyone sees it that way, so there will always be those that get into trouble not doing so.

When I listed the Provincial on eBay, I was CRYSTAL CLEAR that the car was NOT EVEN CLOSE TO DRIVABLE; yet I had 4 or 5 e-mails asking me if I thought the car would make an xx mile trip[xx(][}] It was hard to resist saying "sure, provided your trailer is up to it"...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

To me, eBay is one of the greatest things to come along- a revolutionary way for a person to look for anything one would need or want- if for no other reason than to see what you can expect to pay for a given item you want. For sellers, it's a great way to get your item out to a huge number of potential buyers, and get a real-life appraisal of the value; not to mention a way that those so inclined can make some money right from their home!

However, nothing is perfect; and buyers like this are one of the tricky areas. I've always felt it is the user's responsibility to learn how to use any tool correctly, and eBay is no exception to that. But not everyone sees it that way, so there will always be those that get into trouble not doing so.

When I listed the Provincial on eBay, I was CRYSTAL CLEAR that the car was NOT EVEN CLOSE TO DRIVABLE; yet I had 4 or 5 e-mails asking me if I thought the car would make an xx mile trip[xx(][}] It was hard to resist saying "sure, provided your trailer is up to it"...

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

No, it was crystal clear- to wit:

"PLEASE NOTE: This car was in storage 26 years and is NOT RUNNING OR DRIVEABLE. Tires hold air and turn, so the car will roll onto your trailer."

That's my definition of "crystal clear"... and I think most would agree

EDITED TO ADD: This post was in response to a now-deleted post.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

No, it was crystal clear- to wit:

"PLEASE NOTE: This car was in storage 26 years and is NOT RUNNING OR DRIVEABLE. Tires hold air and turn, so the car will roll onto your trailer."

That's my definition of "crystal clear"... and I think most would agree

EDITED TO ADD: This post was in response to a now-deleted post.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Bams, happens to me all the time with me too. Not only the guys that ask if they can drive the car cross country, but most anything, I'll post a project car with a line that says "I don't have time to restore this car, so I'm selling it needing paint and interior" and I'll get " How much would you charge to do the paint and interior if I bought the car. "
                            Then you'll get the "corrections", like "You should mention your 56 Golden Hawk is missing the supercharger".

JDP/Maryland
                            64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                            63 Lark 2 door
                            58 Packard HT
                            56 Golden Hawk
                            52 Starliner
                            51 Commander
                            39 Coupe express
                            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Bams, happens to me all the time with me too. Not only the guys that ask if they can drive the car cross country, but most anything, I'll post a project car with a line that says "I don't have time to restore this car, so I'm selling it needing paint and interior" and I'll get " How much would you charge to do the paint and interior if I bought the car. "
                              Then you'll get the "corrections", like "You should mention your 56 Golden Hawk is missing the supercharger".

JDP/Maryland
                              64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                              63 Lark 2 door
                              58 Packard HT
                              56 Golden Hawk
                              52 Starliner
                              51 Commander
                              39 Coupe express
                              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment