Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R3 Tube Header Project Started

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • R3 Tube Header Project Started

    A few week ago I ordered a copy of the R3 exhaust manifold from the museum. The archivist new exactly what I wanted so the search time was the minimum. It arrived today . Its actually an old school blueprint, its a bit faint but readable. So as BPs fade in the sun and based on the usual speed of my projects I feel I need to copy it. So the first step in the project is build a quickie light table and trace it on velum, (high quality translucent paper for you youngsters). It will be fun, just like high school drafting, (70's). Sorry for rambling. The drawing will be a great reference tool. From the dimensions on the drawing I will schmooze one of my CAD guys at work to build a 3D model of the tube copy. That will make it a template, cut and assemble operation instead of, eyeball, cut, grind, fit, scrap, repeat.

    Also on order is a set of 304SS header flanges from Victory, I need to get the drawing done before they get here. I have scoped out all the sources for pre-bent parts and how to make the fixtures to cut them. I'll post as I go but it will be slow as I have more irons in the fire than a medieval blacksmith.

    Later,

    3x2

  • #2
    I assume you are using the prints for the cast iron headers to make tube type?

    Comment


    • #3
      Maybe you'll have some to sell by the time my 53 hits the road.

      Comment


      • #4
        Are there any existing headers that are close. Like 2 of the ports would match up. Cut heat bend weld the 3rd. I was cleaning out a shop and there were some old trans am headers. A couple of ports kinda fit.
        My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

        Starliner
        sigpic
        Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
        in the Geographic center of Tennessee

        Comment


        • #5
          go to a commercial copy place, and have them scan your print...they will transfer that to a digital format, and you can print that till the ink runs dry. We do that at our railroad museum. keeps originals safe, once it's scanned, you never have to touch it again.

          Comment


          • #6
            3X2, Thanks for stepping up and doing this!. Very intrested in your Quest. Keep us in the light please.. Mike..

            Comment


            • #7
              Kevin,

              When you had the item scanned was it a pencil drawing on velum or a blue line, (blue print)? I have a blue line and have never had good luck copying a blue line. I doubt the museum would be willing to travel with the drawing and the hourly rate would be prohibitive. I did draw up the light table over the weekend and ordered a 4' x 3' piece of translucent Plexiglas today. Next its off the Home Depot for some LEDs.

              JK

              Comment


              • #8
                following this project with my fingers crossed!!
                sigpic
                JohnP, driving & reviving
                60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

                Comment


                • #9
                  3x2 here,

                  Here is my plan for design. The first is to be with all three tubes to be 1.625" OD, collected neatly and flanged as the R3. Second I would take the repop cast R3s I have and smooth them up inside and see how they do on the same set of heads. Based on the findings tube sizes could be altered. My goal is to build a stainless steel set of shorty's that mimic the R3 so that the aftermarket exhaust fits and that are a flow improvement. Anyone have an idea as to who could flow test my assemblies and to what heads they should be tested on?

                  JK

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Tom Covington, over on the Racing Studebaker site, is the Stude flow bench guru. For a small fee, he'd probably do the test for you. The exhaust should be tested on the heads on which they'll be run.

                    We'll all be very interested in the outcome. Just asking, why do we think small tube shorty headers modeled from an R3 header blueprint will be a substantial improvement over the cast R3 manifolds?

                    jack vines

                    Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                    3x2 here,

                    Here is my plan for design. The first is to be with all three tubes to be 1.625" OD, collected neatly and flanged as the R3. Second I would take the repop cast R3s I have and smooth them up inside and see how they do on the same set of heads. Based on the findings tube sizes could be altered. My goal is to build a stainless steel set of shorty's that mimic the R3 so that the aftermarket exhaust fits and that are a flow improvement. Anyone have an idea as to who could flow test my assemblies and to what heads they should be tested on?

                    JK
                    PackardV8

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Jack,

                      Getting the center port to the same cross section as the ends should improve equalizing velocity. Being Siamese it may require one size bigger to get equal flow. A static bench test may not tell this and it would take dyno testing to prove. First things first is to get a set built and make sure they flow no worse . I want stainless steel with equal or better performance. Several others have commented on previous posts and off line conversations and cautioned on not going too large on the center port, we'll see.

                      JK

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X