A slight vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A slight vibration

Today I was on the phone with the manager of Pioneer Village in Minden, Nebraska. Next month I'll be heading out to their neighborhood to photograph the sandhill cranes, and while there I'm going to put on my old video producer had, and I'll be filming a series of videos to help them push into a year of fundraising.

During the conversation, I mentioned that I'm strongly considering taking US 6 to get there, because I kind of want to drive my Studebaker if the weather's not too miserable. He was immediately interested in hearing about the car, so I told him a little bit about it. He then proceeded to tell me one of his favorite memories from a Studebaker.

Beck in the 70's, he worked for the gas/service station in town. A friend of his had not one, but two supercharged Golden Hawks. He was a meticulous type, who kept the cars in flawless condition, so it wasn't uncommon to see him at the service station. One day, this friend comes into the shop to get tires balanced and installed. A few days later, he comes back and complains that one of the tires is off balance and has a vibration.

Marshall (the one telling me this story) tells him that he swore he had all the tires balanced perfectly, but his friend insists one is off, and asks him to hop in so he can feel it for himself. Marshall hops in the car, and they take off down the road. In no time at all, the car has exceeded 120 mph (!) and sure enough, there was a slight vibration in the right front tire. They get back to the shop, and he proceeds to remove and re-balance the tire. He didn't directly say it, but he sort of made it sound like he had to re-balance it a few more times to finally get it right.

You've got to love Studebaker stories!
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Great story. I wonder what happened to those 2 Golden Hawks.

Comment

I saw one in rough shape listed on Craigslist for western Nebraska last week. It's not like they made that many to begin with. I'll try to extract more info on those cars when I go up to film next month.
      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Working...
      X